Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> Moving/ Relocating
More options for Sefardim in e"y or America
  Previous  1  2  3  4  5  6  Next

amother
OP

Post Sun, Apr 30 2023, 10:59 am
amother Blonde wrote:
Also in terms of Lakewood and Deal.

Deal is Syrian. If you are not Syrian, or "the community type", you will feel out of place

In Lakewood, there are all types of Sephardim, but only organized schools for Syrian. There are a few types of Sephardi Shuls, including Moroccan, Syrian etc. but it's a more integrated community - meaning into the Ashkenaz world

We are integrated into the ashekanz world, other than my DH davening at a sefardi shul on shabbos we look like a regular ashkenaz yeshivish couple.

Were not syrian were moroccan. I dont know anything about lakewood though I wouldnt know where to begin. Ive been there once for a wedding

amother
Blonde

Post Sun, Apr 30 2023, 11:03 am
amother OP wrote:
We have a 2 year old. Hes still young.

Im nervous about parnassa.
Can I message u about ramot?

What do you/your husband do? Can you transfer it? Can you work remotely? (remote is the best)

I don't know so much about Ramot because I don't live there but as the amothers who said they live in Ramot.

amother
Azalea

Post Sun, Apr 30 2023, 11:03 am
I think California also has a nice sefardi community. I don’t know much about it but maybe someone here does.

amother
Blonde

Post Sun, Apr 30 2023, 11:04 am
amother OP wrote:
Not as chareidi as my SILs in e"y. I have an iphone for one and my husband works

That's fine, as long as your a bit discreet about the phone. I eventually switched my smart phone for a phone with just email and Whatsapp and then a kosher phone completely. I feel more comfortable.

In terms of your husband working, that's no problem really. Mine does too.

amother
Hunter

Post Sun, Apr 30 2023, 11:05 am
amother OP wrote:
It seems that there are more options for sefardim in e"y than in NY (from my experience).
We currently live in NY now. We are looking to move to a yeshivish community with frum schools that has one sefardi shul and it seems impossible to find. We live in a community now with mostly one type of sefardi sect. They're lovely people, but the davening, minhagim etc are different.

And before anyone says "sefardim= sefardim" its not true, they're all different.

In e"y when we visit family, theres a sefardi minyan on every block.

Are we looking for a unicorn? A community with sefardi minyanim and strong established bais yaakov schools and yeshivas? We're a regular frum yeshivish family, I wear a sheital and my husband learned in ashkenaz yeshivas but we are very much sefardi in the way we run our home both in halacha and minhagim etc.

As you said there are big differences between types of Sephardim. Deal is ideal for one specific type. If you share with us what type of Sephardic background you’re from that would help. Toronto has a Sephardic community if by America you mean not just US.

amother
Blonde

Post Sun, Apr 30 2023, 11:05 am
amother OP wrote:
We are integrated into the ashekanz world, other than my DH davening at a sefardi shul on shabbos we look like a regular ashkenaz yeshivish couple.

Were not syrian were moroccan. I dont know anything about lakewood though I wouldnt know where to begin. Ive been there once for a wedding

Israel sounds more your speed than Lakewood, but there are a lot of nice Israeli Sephardim in Lakewood too.

amother
Mimosa

Post Sun, Apr 30 2023, 11:07 am
Baltimore!!

SunShineSimcha613

Post Sun, Apr 30 2023, 11:13 am
I would second chicago. There are two shuls wrp and two (I think) in skokie.

SunShineSimcha613

Post Sun, Apr 30 2023, 11:14 am
The sefardi shuls here are a mix and wouldn't blink twice if you wear a shaital.

amother
Violet

Post Sun, Apr 30 2023, 11:14 am
There's a Moroccan shul in Lakewood on Princeton and seventh Street called zichron binyamin.
I think the community in California is Iranian
Baltimore is also Iranian

amother
Blonde

Post Sun, Apr 30 2023, 11:16 am
Montreal also has a nice Moroccan community.

I don't know about schools though

amother
Blonde

Post Sun, Apr 30 2023, 11:16 am
Har Nof in Israel might also work

amother
OP

Post Sun, Apr 30 2023, 12:13 pm
amother Blonde wrote:
That's fine, as long as your a bit discreet about the phone. I eventually switched my smart phone for a phone with just email and Whatsapp and then a kosher phone completely. I feel more comfortable.

Where do you live?
When we visit e"y we both walk around with kosher phones we wouldnt go against what others are doing and stick out. I would need wifi at home to work

amother
OP

Post Sun, Apr 30 2023, 12:13 pm
amother Blonde wrote:
Har Nof in Israel might also work

My BIL lived there for a bit when he first got married and learned by a sefardi kollel.
Do you know how much rent is there atm?

amother
OP

Post Sun, Apr 30 2023, 12:15 pm
amother Hunter wrote:
As you said there are big differences between types of Sephardim. Deal is ideal for one specific type. If you share with us what type of Sephardic background you’re from that would help. Toronto has a Sephardic community if by America you mean not just US.

DH is moroccan, my mother is moroccan my father is persian
But my parents arent really so frum so whenever they do go to shul on YK and stuff its an ashkenaz shul... I became "more" sefardi when I got married since my dh is

ls613

Post Sun, Apr 30 2023, 12:19 pm
Queens has a nice size separdic community. Also have very nice bais Yaakov type schools near by

amother
OP

Post Sun, Apr 30 2023, 12:49 pm
ls613 wrote:
Queens has a nice size separdic community. Also have very nice bais Yaakov type schools near by

I actually work in Queens! and I went to Shevach for HS.

We're not Bucharian and were looking for more of a yeshivish community.

amother
OP

Post Sun, Apr 30 2023, 12:52 pm
amother Blonde wrote:

Im a therapist I work in a local yeshiva here but I have friends that are therapists and work remotely and theyre agencies are hiring so that is an option, although the pay isnt as good and the age difference is EI. I work with middle and high schoolers so thats a big transition for me. I really enjoy older students.

Husband is in construction business. His idea is to build up his business more and then hire a few guys to work for him and split profits of some sort. But id like to move sooner rather than later and when my kids arent too big.

I dont know any chareidi couple in e"y where the husband is working. All my sisters ("all" lol I have 2 sisters there) and my husbands brothers are all in kollel and my friends that are in e"y are all in learning

hodeez

Post Sun, Apr 30 2023, 12:59 pm
Flatbush

theoneandonly

Post Sun, Apr 30 2023, 1:03 pm
The problem with Israel is if you are yeshivish/charedi there is a big stigma against sefardim. Even though there are so many sefardim here in Israel. (It makes no sense to me either...) Eg I was just talking to my friend about boys going to high school. She told me that often the high school will tell the elementary school that they will only accept a sefardi boy from the school if an Ashkenazi boy will come with him also. So you need to be prepared for some discrimination...
Page 2 of 6   Previous  1  2  3  4  5  6  Next Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> Moving/ Relocating