Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> Moving/ Relocating
More options for Sefardim in e"y or America
  Previous  1  2  3  4  5  6  Next

theoneandonly

Post Sun, Apr 30 2023, 1:05 pm
amother OP wrote:
Im a therapist I work in a local yeshiva here but I have friends that are therapists and work remotely and theyre agencies are hiring so that is an option, although the pay isnt as good and the age difference is EI. I work with middle and high schoolers so thats a big transition for me. I really enjoy older students.

Husband is in construction business. His idea is to build up his business more and then hire a few guys to work for him and split profits of some sort. But id like to move sooner rather than later and when my kids arent too big.

I dont know any chareidi couple in e"y where the husband is working. All my sisters ("all" lol I have 2 sisters there) and my husbands brothers are all in kollel and my friends that are in e"y are all in learning

I'm in Jerusalem, not ramot. A number of my charedi neighbors have the husband and wife both working. They are generally older couples whose kids are slightly older, have already learned in kollel a number of years, etc. Ie not newlyweds, which may be the case with the couples you know in Israel.

amother
Hunter

Post Sun, Apr 30 2023, 1:05 pm
Now that you told us more about yourself I second Flatbush. You’ll have so many choices and a lot of the older Ashkenaz schools have a lot of Sephardic kids like yours.

Iymnok

Post Sun, Apr 30 2023, 1:06 pm
Many neighborhoods in Jerusalem have Moroccan shuls. You’d have to visit or ask around to know if they’re yeshivish.
Many are a mix, but generally sefardim are more serious in Shul, even if they are less religious otherwise.

rgr

Post Sun, Apr 30 2023, 1:11 pm
Ateret is considered a good school for sefardim, there must be a boys school equivalent in Brooklyn

out-of-towner

Post Sun, Apr 30 2023, 1:16 pm
Baltimore is a Yeshivish Sephardi community, but it is mostly Persian IME.

amother
OP

Post Sun, Apr 30 2023, 1:20 pm
theoneandonly wrote:
I'm in Jerusalem, not ramot. A number of my charedi neighbors have the husband and wife both working. They are generally older couples whose kids are slightly older, have already learned in kollel a number of years, etc. Ie not newlyweds, which may be the case with the couples you know in Israel.

My two BILS are in their 40s and still learning
(dh is the youngest hes 29) im 26
were not such newlyweds but I dont want to be the youngest couple on the block. we want to build a sense of community with our neighbors too

where in jerusalem are you?

amother
OP

Post Sun, Apr 30 2023, 1:21 pm
amother Hunter wrote:
Now that you told us more about yourself I second Flatbush. You’ll have so many choices and a lot of the older Ashkenaz schools have a lot of Sephardic kids like yours.

Where do I begin to look at flatbush? What avenue?
I dont know anything about BK either its a totally different world
Do you know the names of any of the sefardi shuls there?

amother
OP

Post Sun, Apr 30 2023, 1:30 pm
rgr wrote:
Ateret is considered a good school for sefardim, there must be a boys school equivalent in Brooklyn

Isnt Ateret a syrian school? Were not syrian

If there was a strong sefardi yeshiva where the hanhala and student body were aligned with torah hashkafos and halacha we would send there. I havent seen that in the sefardi school by me its more of a community school.

Were not supperrrrr sefardi that we need an intense sefardi school. My husband just wants to live somewhere where there are sefardi minyanim and good schools whether its ashkenaz of sefardi. He went to ashkenaz yeshivas his whole life. When he went to BM in e"y he fahered at porat yosef and this israeli ashkenaz yeshiva... he ended up going to the ashkenaz yeshiva and stayed there for a few years until we met

amother
Valerian

Post Sun, Apr 30 2023, 1:31 pm
amother OP wrote:
Where in NY do you live?

Monsey.
I see some suggest Flatbush. I wonder if that would be a good fit for me too.

cupcake123

Post Sun, Apr 30 2023, 1:35 pm
Lakewood has a large yeshivish sefardi community. There is also at least 2 sfardi girls schools and 2 boys school (that I know of) although a lot of sfardim do also go to Ashkenazi school

theoneandonly

Post Sun, Apr 30 2023, 1:35 pm
amother OP wrote:
My two BILS are in their 40s and still learning
(dh is the youngest hes 29) im 26
were not such newlyweds but I dont want to be the youngest couple on the block. we want to build a sense of community with our neighbors too

where in jerusalem are you?

I'm in givat hamivtar. There is a very big mix here, lots of newlyweds but also lots of older, more settled families.

amother
OP

Post Sun, Apr 30 2023, 1:37 pm
amother Valerian wrote:
Monsey.
I see some suggest Flatbush. I wonder if that would be a good fit for me too.

Funny you say that, since someone suggested Monsey to us
Did you move to Monsey or youre from there originally?

amother
NeonOrange

Post Sun, Apr 30 2023, 1:49 pm
Baltimore has at least 3 Sefardi shuls. Two might be more Persian. (I’m totally Ashkenazi so whatever I know is from friends/work/school etc). There’s also Israeli Chabad. Bais Yaakov has at least one halacha teacher who is not Ashkenazi and knows what all the minhagim are and tells each girl what her Halacha/minhag is. There isn’t separate boys schools but I’m pretty sure Ner Yisroel has different minyanim.
Actually there are a bunch of Sefardi shuls. I know about Rabbi Goldfeiz and the Persian shul and the one in Greenspring and there’s also Rabbi Hakakian and the Israeli Chabad (not sure what they daven) and there might be more Israeli minyanim and probably more minyanim I don’t know about. Look at a list of shuls and you can figure it out. Good luck!

Ema of 5

Post Sun, Apr 30 2023, 1:59 pm
I’m just putting this out there, in case you are interested. Bayswater has a Moroccan shul, as does woodmere. Both are close (in proximity) to the local schools and yeshivas. Far Rockaway is a more yeshivish community, but I don’t know if they have a Moroccan shul.

amother
Valerian

Post Sun, Apr 30 2023, 2:09 pm
amother OP wrote:
Funny you say that, since someone suggested Monsey to us
Did you move to Monsey or youre from there originally?

We moved here from Israel. We were told Monsey is a place for everyone which is true but there’s no sefardi community (at least that I know of)

amother
OP

Post Sun, Apr 30 2023, 2:11 pm
amother Valerian wrote:
We moved here from Israel. We were told Monsey is a place for everyone which is true but there’s no sefardi community (at least that I know of)

id love to connect with u and ask u questions if I can... dh moved here from Israel too

amother
OP

Post Sun, Apr 30 2023, 2:12 pm
Ema of 5 wrote:
I’m just putting this out there, in case you are interested. Bayswater has a Moroccan shul, as does woodmere. Both are close (in proximity) to the local schools and yeshivas. Far Rockaway is a more yeshivish community, but I don’t know if they have a Moroccan shul.

I thought the shul in Bayswater is Bucharian?

Ema of 5

Post Sun, Apr 30 2023, 3:02 pm
amother OP wrote:
I thought the shul in Bayswater is Bucharian?

I’m going to find out for sure right now, but I believe there are both.
Edit: ok, I asked. The rabbi is not Moroccan, but most of the people who daven there are, and the minyan is conducted according to Moroccan minhagim. There are also Bucharian and Yemenite minyanim.

amother
Lightyellow

Post Sun, Apr 30 2023, 4:21 pm
Lakewood definitely has yeshivish sfardim. There are some by the forest park area. And many other areas in Lakewood too.

amother
Bellflower

Post Sun, Apr 30 2023, 4:38 pm
Flatbush has dozens of great sefardic shuls and ateret and share Torah are both good schools. Or if you want ashkenaz, Chaim Berlin has a nice number of yeshivish sefardic families. And is probably the best yeshiva in Flatbush right now
Page 3 of 6   Previous  1  2  3  4  5  6  Next Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> Moving/ Relocating