Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> Moving/ Relocating
More options for Sefardim in e"y or America
  Previous  1  2  3  4  5  6  Next

amother
OP

Post Sun, Apr 30 2023, 4:41 pm
Ema of 5 wrote:
I’m going to find out for sure right now, but I believe there are both.
Edit: ok, I asked. The rabbi is not Moroccan, but most of the people who daven there are, and the minyan is conducted according to Moroccan minhagim. There are also Bucharian and Yemenite minyanim.

thank you for finding out. do you know the name of the shul or rav?

amother
OP

Post Sun, Apr 30 2023, 4:42 pm
amother Bellflower wrote:
Flatbush has dozens of great sefardic shuls and ateret and share Torah are both good schools. Or if you want ashkenaz, Chaim Berlin has a nice number of yeshivish sefardic families. And is probably the best yeshiva in Flatbush right now

I wouldnt know where to begin looking. Ill check up old threads here I guess as a starter
I was under the impression Flatbush sefardim are mostly syrian?

Reality

Post Sun, Apr 30 2023, 4:43 pm
Why are people on this thread recommending all these Syrian schools in Flatbush for OP? Non-syrian sfardim don't want to send to Syrian schools.

There are all types of sfardim in Flatbush, but they don't have their own schools. They send to the Ashkenazi schools and there most certainly is discrimination in the yeshivish schools against them.

amother
OP

Post Sun, Apr 30 2023, 4:48 pm
Reality wrote:
Why are people on this thread recommending all these Syrian schools in Flatbush for OP? Non-syrian sfardim don't want to send to Syrian schools.

There are all types of sfardim in Flatbush, but they don't have their own schools. They send to the Ashkenazi schools and there most certainly is discrimination in the yeshivish schools against them.

To ashkenazim we're all the same type lol. I knew people wouldn't really understand

Do you know what areas of flatbush non syrians live?

amother
Opal

Post Sun, Apr 30 2023, 4:48 pm
Maybe come to Hollywood Florida. We have 16 Sefardi shuls here of different nusachim. We speak English and Hebrew at home which is very common here. The housing isn't cheap but still less than NY. Flavor wise it's about as close as you get to living in Israel without actually living in Israel. Supposedly there are 40,000 israelis just in Hollywood and Hallandale. But the metro area has well over half a million Jews with dozens of schools, shopping etc.

amother
OP

Post Sun, Apr 30 2023, 4:49 pm
E"y is on the table though since we both have family there.
But my student loans are over 85k and my pay would be half of what Im getting now if I work remotely. And I dont even make so much now. We barely scrap by I havent started paying back my loans yet

Reality

Post Sun, Apr 30 2023, 4:58 pm
amother OP wrote:
To ashkenazim we're all the same type lol. I knew people wouldn't really understand

Do you know what areas of flatbush non syrians live?

I have a family member who is married to someone Moroccan. As far as I know, there isn't a Moroccan shul. They daven at the Lebanese shul. I don't remember exactly where it is located, around Ave T and the low east numbers.

The other large Sfardi groups in Flatbush are Persian and Bucharian. They live all over Flatbush and Marine Park. They both send to Ashkenazi schools. And as I mentioned earlier, are discriminated against. The more right wing, the more discrimination.

Moroccan Jews are the largest Sfardic group in Israel. Your husband is right that you will feel the most at home here.

Ema of 5

Post Sun, Apr 30 2023, 5:00 pm
amother OP wrote:
thank you for finding out. do you know the name of the shul or rav?

I can find out the name of the shul, the rav is rabbi yigal reuvain. (Not sure how the last name is spelled)

Reality

Post Sun, Apr 30 2023, 5:00 pm
amother OP wrote:
But my student loans are over 85k and my pay would be half of what Im getting now if I work remotely. And I dont even make so much now. We barely scrap by I havent started paying back my loans yet

That's really hard. That's a lot of student loans to pay off. You really need to figure out how much your budget would be in NY vs. Israel and see if it's doable.

amother
Babypink

Post Sun, Apr 30 2023, 5:05 pm
This is the non-Persian Sephardic shul in Baltimore. People we know LOVE it there.
https://www.bscmd.org/home.html#/

amother
Navy

Post Sun, Apr 30 2023, 5:20 pm
There's a beautiful sefardi kehila in Ramat Bet Shemesh which sounds exactly what you're looking for
https://meamloez.org/

amother
OP

Post Sun, Apr 30 2023, 6:09 pm
Reality wrote:
That's really hard. That's a lot of student loans to pay off. You really need to figure out how much your budget would be in NY vs. Israel and see if it's doable.

Yep its alot.
I dont think aliyah would happen for another 2-3 years. Husband wants to build his business up here and then have someone he can assign jobs to to split the commission before we move countries and I need to specialize in a field before moving

do u live in israel?

amother
OP

Post Sun, Apr 30 2023, 6:11 pm
amother Navy wrote:
There's a beautiful sefardi kehila in Ramat Bet Shemesh which sounds exactly what you're looking for
https://meamloez.org/

thanks so much! looks wonderful
we havent discussed a community in e"y yet. were going this summer to check it out more.
im going to save this info

amother
Hunter

Post Sun, Apr 30 2023, 6:20 pm
Reality wrote:

The rabbi actively at the head of the the bais medrash and kollel of one of the oldest and most prominent Ashkenaz yeshivas in Flatbush is Moroccan. Flatbush Syrians are not the most welcoming group, not of non-Syrian Sephardim and not of Ashkenazim, but quite a few of the bigger Ashkenaz institutions are very welcoming to Sephardi families.

amother
Mintcream

Post Sun, Apr 30 2023, 7:09 pm
Chaim Berlin Yeshiva's acting rosh yeshiva is Rabbi Halioua, who I believe is Moroccan. He is also the Rosh Yeshiva shlita Rabbi Aaron Schechter's son-in-law.

There is a Persian minyan called Az Yashir on East 18th just off of Ave M.

The shul on Ave T that someone mentioned is, I believe, on Ave T and East 8th. I don't know much about it.

There is also Yeshiva Mikdash Melech on Ocean Parkway and Ave M. Don't know anything about it, but I do know that my Moroccan friend's Moroccan husband used to daven there (and perhaps still does..)

amother
OP

Post Sun, Apr 30 2023, 9:29 pm
amother Mintcream wrote:
Chaim Berlin Yeshiva's acting rosh yeshiva is Rabbi Halioua, who I believe is Moroccan. He is also the Rosh Yeshiva shlita Rabbi Aaron Schechter's son-in-law.

There is a Persian minyan called Az Yashir on East 18th just off of Ave M.

The shul on Ave T that someone mentioned is, I believe, on Ave T and East 8th. I don't know much about it.

There is also Yeshiva Mikdash Melech on Ocean Parkway and Ave M. Don't know anything about it, but I do know that my Moroccan friend's Moroccan husband used to daven there (and perhaps still does..)

Thanks so much this was really helpful!!!
Our shadchan was one of the mashgiachs from mikdash actually Wink

How do people go about finding apartments? When I lived in woodmere for a bit I got listings from the five towns shul list

lovecouches

Post Sun, Apr 30 2023, 10:15 pm
amother OP wrote:

I live in Israel but I don't know about sfardi communities. I just remember seeing this video by this American lady living in Germany. She says that you can put your student loans to be paid income based and then when you move abroad they don't consider income abroad and you don't need to pay loans and they default after 25 years or something like that. I don't really know but maybe you can look into that if you do make Aliya. I personally made Aliya and then went to school in Israel so I don't have personal experience with student loans.

amother
OP

Post Sun, Apr 30 2023, 10:36 pm
lovecouches wrote:
I live in Israel but I don't know about sfardi communities. I just remember seeing this video by this American lady living in Germany. She says that you can put your student loans to be paid income based and then when you move abroad they don't consider income abroad and you don't need to pay loans and they default after 25 years or something like that. I don't really know but maybe you can look into that if you do make Aliya. I personally made Aliya and then went to school in Israel so I don't have personal experience with student loans.

Never heard of this. Sounds risky...
Do you enjoy living in Israel?

amother
Mintcream

Post Sun, Apr 30 2023, 11:38 pm
amother OP wrote:
Thanks so much this was really helpful!!!
Our shadchan was one of the mashgiachs from mikdash actually Wink

How do people go about finding apartments? When I lived in woodmere for a bit I got listings from the five towns shul list

Smile

I don't know. I would start by checking apt listings in the Jewish Press and the Hamodia. There's a local weekly paper (not sure what to call it) called The Torah Times that also has apartment listings.

Otherwise, I guess try to reach out to local real estate agents. Sara Lasker is one real estate agent in the area.

sara_s

Post Mon, May 01 2023, 12:25 am
If you want to live in Israel, RBS could be a good fit. You could send to one of the American style charedi schools and daven in a sefardi shul. There are plenty of Sefardi shuls here, with many Morrocans like there are all over Israel. (But there aren't many American sefardim in those souls, I don't know if that matters)
Page 4 of 6   Previous  1  2  3  4  5  6  Next Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> Moving/ Relocating