Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Pregnancy & Childbirth -> Baby Names
Naming siblings with similar sounding names
1  2  Next

amother
OP

Post Sun, Apr 30 2023, 12:15 pm
Is it very strange to name two siblings names that have the same beginning or the same ending? Ex. Elisha and Eliana
Am I overthinking things? What if the child who already has that name beginning/end thinks it is strange and by then it’s too late to change the name? Also what do you think of naming a child after a terror victim who was recently killed?I would do this possibly for a middle name.

amother
Apricot

Post Sun, Apr 30 2023, 12:18 pm
My mesora is to name for family or holy tzadikim. If they passed away young we add a name

If the family names are similar to already named siblings that’s fine.

I wouldn’t name for a terror victim.

When I follow my mesora, I feel confident

amother
Lemonlime

Post Sun, Apr 30 2023, 12:21 pm
In answer to your first question:
As someone who is hearing impaired, very similar sounding names in the same family would be confusing for me.
This could also pose some frustration (especially over the phone) for any older family members who might likely have compromised hearing.

amother
Oak

Post Sun, Apr 30 2023, 12:23 pm
If they can both be shortened to the same name I think its a bit strange.
I wouldnt do thay.

Like to eli and eli.

I have 2 nephews starting with the same sh sound and I think its a lot.but it works.

I also know a Dudi and A Dovi who are siblings close in age and also think thats a mouthful

amother
Mistyrose

Post Sun, Apr 30 2023, 12:25 pm
I have this. And we do confuse their names sometimes. But both names were very meaningful to dh so we make it work.

No feedback on your second question because we do either family names or names from the parsha.

Iymnok

Post Sun, Apr 30 2023, 12:28 pm
I know a Chana and Chanania, a Chaim and Chaya, Batsheva and Elisheva.
It’s done, sometimes it works better than others. Don’t do it for twins, that’s tacky.

#BestBubby

Post Sun, Apr 30 2023, 12:28 pm
Most chassidish names end in ee sound,

Gitty, esty, yanky, moishy...

amother
Dustypink

Post Sun, Apr 30 2023, 12:32 pm
For me not a hard no or a definite yes, depends how similar they are.

Mila and Michael, I would do.

Michal and Michael, I would not do, personally, though I wouldn't look down on someone else if they did.

amother
Dustypink

Post Sun, Apr 30 2023, 12:41 pm
Another factor is how close the siblings are in age, and how many siblings in between.

If Elisha and Eliana are 10 years apart with 4 siblings between, that is a lot more acceptable than if they are 2 years apart with no siblings between.

Because in the first case, you are so much less likely to say their names one after the other. It would be more likely to be "Elisha, David and Eliana, come here", not "Elisha and Eliana, come here", and the further apart they are in age, the clearer it is to whom you are speaking. "Eliana, don't take off your diaper!" is clearly the 2 year old, and "Elisha, did you do your algebra homework?" is the 12 year old

zaq

Post Sun, Apr 30 2023, 12:44 pm
Not weird, but I would avoid it. It's confusing and can come off as overly cutesy.

amother
Dahlia

Post Sun, Apr 30 2023, 1:02 pm
I chose a more unusual nickname for younger ds since the typical nickname for his name was very similar sounding to older ds's name. I thought it would sound too cutesy and hard to tell apart. Younger ds only has 1 name and I dont like that name as is. But now that they are both older and aren't together all the time I don't think it would be so bad although younger ds loves his name and always says he's happy we didn't call him the typical nickname

amother
Cobalt

Post Sun, Apr 30 2023, 1:07 pm
It depends. If it’s after a beloved person in the family I’d do it. Just cuz I like it, no.
After a Terror victim, no. I wouldn’t.
At least as a rabbi about that.
Also for many names you can find a nickname that sounds different from the other name.

amother
Mintcream

Post Sun, Apr 30 2023, 1:13 pm
I wouldn't. I have a Noa and id love to use the name naama for another girl but I think it's too similar.

zebra111

Post Sun, Apr 30 2023, 1:14 pm
I have 2 rhyming names, and 2 names starting the same. I'll admit its a bit confusing sometimes. Showed me names are from H-Shm though because I honestly didnt notice these things until after the brises..

amother
NeonPurple

Post Sun, Apr 30 2023, 1:28 pm
My name is very similar sounding to my daughter's. I didn't see it or think about it when I was naming. Goes to show it was bashert, I had my blinders on. Name is perfect for her and it was the only family name I would agree to (we had never named after family before and wanted to do so in this case).

amother
Periwinkle

Post Sun, Apr 30 2023, 1:32 pm
I know a family with a Chava. Chana and Chaim
They are not confused but I sure do get confused around them.

amother
DarkRed

Post Sun, Apr 30 2023, 1:38 pm
I have a Chaya, a Chana, and a Henna. I don't find it very confusing.

amother
Navyblue

Post Sun, Apr 30 2023, 1:46 pm
I know families that have
Chaya and Chana
Elazar and Eliezer
Rochel and Rechel
Avigail and Avital
Tzvi and Tzivya
Chevi and Chavi

amother
Azalea

Post Sun, Apr 30 2023, 1:53 pm
I would do it if I had a name I was naming for someone. I would probably try and find a different nickname for them so it doesn't sound like the same name.

amother
Oxfordblue

Post Sun, Apr 30 2023, 2:13 pm
Dark red, YOU may not be confused, But I'll bet other people not in your family are. Maybe even your grandparents.
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Pregnancy & Childbirth -> Baby Names