Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management -> Kosher Kitchen
If you were redoing your kitchen
1  2  3  Next

myself

Post Mon, May 01 2023, 6:28 am
If you were installing a new kitchen, what must-have items/layouts would you insist on?

Last edited by myself on Mon, May 01 2023, 10:34 am; edited 1 time in total

Bnei Berak 10

Post Mon, May 01 2023, 6:43 am
Two sinks and not side by side
Dishwasher meat
Three ovens
If possible a pesach kitchen a close as possible to your regular kitchen or it least most of pesach items stored close to your regular kitchen (who wants to schlepp boxes from basement or attic)
A hood

myself

Post Mon, May 01 2023, 10:34 am
Thanks. Isn't a hood essential?

amother
Azalea

Post Mon, May 01 2023, 11:18 am
Lots of fridge and freezer space
Adequate work surfaces
Not so big that you have to walk a mile to make supper
Space to store the shabbos urn and Plata
Shelves for cookbooks
I love having a pareve dishwasher for baking equipment

Don't get a pot filler. It's just silly. If you have to drain the pot, you're still going to have to walk to the sink. If you're cooking so much that you can't carry the pot, you probably need a caterer. A faucet without a drain underneath is just a flood waiting to happen.

For safety reasons, don't put a microwave above a range if you can avoid it.

We have a couch in our kitchen and it's the most amazing thing.

Chayalle

Post Mon, May 01 2023, 11:40 am
I LOVE my island. So convenient to work on. (it's funny because I grew up hearing that that was the one thing my mother didn't want in her kitchen when she re-did it. So I guess everyone's different....)

amother
Narcissus

Post Mon, May 01 2023, 11:47 am
amother Azalea wrote:
Adequate work surfaces
Shelves for cookbooks

Don't get a pot filler. It's just silly. If you have to drain the pot, you're still going to have to walk to the sink. If you're cooking so much that you can't carry the pot, you probably need a caterer. A faucet without a drain underneath is just a flood waiting to happen.

Tell me about the couch. Why and how does it not end up being a crumby sticky seating spot? Or is it in a big dinette area where the couch is off the kitchen?

Ema of 5

Post Mon, May 01 2023, 12:00 pm
myself wrote:
If you were installing a new kitchen, what must-have items/layouts would you insist on?

Lots of counter space, cabinets, and drawers
A large counter space next to or opposite the oven and the fridge
Double oven
Side by side full fridge and full freezer
3 sinks
At least 2 full size dishwashers
Island counter space for eating
Sink disposals
Filters on or next to all sinks
A sprayer (not sure what the technical name is) next to all sinks
BIG sinks, big enough to fit a big pot and a large pan next to each other, but not crazy deep

honeymoon

Post Mon, May 01 2023, 12:04 pm
An island with a parve sink.

No corner sinks.

No lower cabinets, only drawers.

Full-size fridge and freezer.

2 dishwashers.

under-cabinet lighting.

Stone floors are beautiful but very hard on the feet/back. Opt for something with more give.

a large dinette area

Bnei Berak 10

Post Mon, May 01 2023, 12:10 pm
honeymoon wrote:
An island with a parve sink.

No corner sinks.

No lower cabinets, only drawers.

Full-size fridge and freezer.

2 dishwashers.

under-cabinet lighting.

Stone floors are beautiful but very hard on the feet/back. Opt for something with more give.

a large dinette area

What's wrong with corner sinks?
Seems to be a good solution for that dead corner...

Bnei Berak 10

Post Mon, May 01 2023, 12:12 pm
myself wrote:

Not in Israel. I have ONE friend who has it.
We open. The windows Smile

Bnei Berak 10

Post Mon, May 01 2023, 12:15 pm
Open shelves=everyone will see your clutter and items that haven't been dusted in aaaages...
Unless you have a maid who takes care of everything.
Open book cases same thing. Glass doors prevent dirt and dust

honeymoon

Post Mon, May 01 2023, 12:15 pm
Bnei Berak 10 wrote:
What's wrong with corner sinks?
Seems to be a good solution for that dead corner...

A corner sink has to be farther in, making it more uncomfortable when washing dishes. During pregnancy, it's like washing dishes from a foot away.

The corner cabinets could be a great storage space if not for the sink pipes. With the pipes, it's just a clumsy space that fits nothing.

I also dislike the space behind the sink. It's difficult to clean, though it's the perfect spot for the percolator.

amother
Jean

Post Mon, May 01 2023, 12:27 pm
Good lighting: ceiling lighting, under cabinet lighting, over the dinette table lighting.

If you have the space: a huge window in the work area, not only near the dinette table (where many ppl place it).

amother
Wheat

Post Mon, May 01 2023, 12:34 pm
amother Azalea wrote:
Adequate work surfaces
Shelves for cookbooks

Oh I can't wait for my couch in my kitchen!
We're in the process now, just waiting for worktops then we need flooring but it's huge! I'm so excited. I've got 2 integrated microwaves, only 1 integrated meaty oven. Have a toaster oven for milky. A meaty dishwasher.
A big fridge and big freezer (all integrated) which is amazing for me, because I often had to go upstairs to use my extra chest freezer which is now going into the garage, to be used for yomim tovim if need. One sink at end of a big stretch of worktop the other sink directly opposite on the island/bar. Tons of cupboard space compared to all my old kitchens. I plan to keep some empty for pesach (I have a pesach kitchen but only in my garage so on pesach itself I keep Nash, paperware etc in my house)

tweety1

Post Mon, May 01 2023, 12:38 pm
I have a fan but in the roof of my kitchen. It's just as powerful and very quiet.

amother
Junglegreen

Post Mon, May 01 2023, 12:43 pm
myself wrote:

No, why? It's a nice feature to capture odors, but it's also a hazard. If the hood is not properly cleaned, grease condenses and builds up in there and can eventually catch fire from sparks from the motor or static from the fan.

amother
Wheat

Post Mon, May 01 2023, 12:47 pm
amother Jean wrote:
Good lighting: ceiling lighting, under cabinet lighting, over the dinette table lighting.

If you have the space: a huge window in the work area, not only near the dinette table (where many ppl place it).

We have 24 big bright spot lights plus a bar light above the island/bar. We didn't want to pay extra for under unit lighting. Hopefully it'll be fine because the hood has a big bright light. I feel like we overspent on the spotlights, could've got away with less but the electrician recommended them all. We also have lots of natural light coming in during daylight hours.
IyH I won't regret not going for under unit lighting.

amother
Wheat

Post Mon, May 01 2023, 12:48 pm
honeymoon wrote:
A corner sink has to be farther in, making it more uncomfortable when washing dishes. During pregnancy, it's like washing dishes from a foot away.

The corner cabinets could be a great storage space if not for the sink pipes. With the pipes, it's just a clumsy space that fits nothing.

I also dislike the space behind the sink. It's difficult to clean, though it's the perfect spot for the percolator.

I keep cleaning products under my sinks

doodlesmom

Post Mon, May 01 2023, 12:49 pm
Re lighting, I just saw that someone installed lights in their bottom corner cabinets, just so that they can see what’s going on there easily.
I liked the idea.

Bnei Berak 10

Post Mon, May 01 2023, 12:58 pm
amother Jean wrote:

Yessssss!!
Page 1 of 3 1  2  3  Next Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Household Management -> Kosher Kitchen