Home
    Private Messages   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Hobbies, Crafts, and Collections -> Reading Room
How important is a sefer torah compared to poverty

amother
OP  

Post Sat, May 06 2023, 9:52 pm
In this week's magazine article the human experience they were talking about organising 45 sefer torahs. One for each of the kodeshim that died.

I'm all for that, I think it's a wonderful idea, don't get me wrong but how can they expect a family poor or middle class pull off giving 40k when they are counting every shekel, especially in today's economic climate?

40k can help pay a lot bills etc. And would relive a lot of stress.
How was it brought up? Did the organisation agree to do this and then tell the families that they have to argee and fork over 40k with no imput of their own?

Don't know about you guys, but I have only 9k in my bank account. How can they expect people who have no extra money to come up with 40k?

mikayla18

Post Sat, May 06 2023, 10:05 pm
I don't think they expected the families to just donate sifrei torah. I believe they were sponsored, either by individuals or crowd funding.

amother
Anemone

Post Sat, May 06 2023, 10:05 pm
I didn't get the impression that the org was expecting each family to pay $40k themselves. They just realized that they wouldn't be able to raise over $3mil for 45 sifrei Torah. I think that a lot of people are connected enough that, especially with a tragedy as big as this, they would be able to raise some amount of money if it was on an individual scale and not just in general for sifrei Torah for everyone.

GLUE

Post Sun, May 07 2023, 1:58 am
Were can you get a Sefer Torah for only 40k?

When it comes to these things the family does not pay it is crowd funded.

amother
  OP

Post Sun, May 07 2023, 3:13 am
GLUE wrote:
Were can you get a Sefer Torah for only 40k?

When it comes to these things the family does not pay it is crowd funded.

It's actually 70k. The organisation gives 30 and the families have to fork over 40

amother
Blonde

Post Sun, May 07 2023, 3:23 am
Op. I thought the same thing. So sad.

amother
Periwinkle

Post Sun, May 07 2023, 3:52 am
I hope you're misunderstanding. Because it would be a far greater zechus to give each family $30,000 to help them financially and towards any memorial project they deem important. Pressuring/guilting a family into sponsoring a Torah would be very, very wrong.

(I didn't read the article.)

(Side point, I don't understand why a Torah is the only way to memorialize a person who was niftar. It is like it has become the style. Aren't there other projects, perhaps more individual, which could be l'ilui nishmas a person?)
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Hobbies, Crafts, and Collections -> Reading Room