Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> Moving/ Relocating
Does Oceanside have frum ppl?

amother
OP

Post Sun, May 07 2023, 12:20 pm
We live in a community in NYC where there's barely a miniyan and my kids have no friends. We have a tiny apartment and its causing shalom bayis issues. We are not too far from main community where my kids go to school but its not walkable.
I dislike labels like everyone else but I need my kids to have somewhat likeminded friends. My husband is very difficult and doesn't want to move anywhere bc of his job etc...but I've basically narrowed it down to West Hempstead and Oceanside. It seems like its nearly impossible to get the kind of house I want in West Hempstead. Anything good is snatched up right away and I can't afford over 750.
I'm thinking about Oceanside but it seems like a more modern community. My kids go to yeshiva and bais Yakov and one of kids especially is very "frum." My husband and I are more middle of the road . Im makbid with tznius and covering my hair etc but we're not so white shirt/black hat. I'm trying to work on my middos and not into big social scenes, trying to avoid lashon hara etc...
Oceanside seems very nice but I'm wondering if my kids would find friends there. We are simple, not into brands or latest styles. Oh, and we are baalei teshuvah. Any feedback welcome. thank you so much

amother
Tomato

Post Sun, May 07 2023, 1:18 pm
It has frum people, but not your kind of frum.

amother
Dill

Post Sun, May 07 2023, 2:35 pm
It’s a really nice community but it just never really took off it’s not really thriving. It sounds like the families will be much more modern than you they are mostly Young Israel type, many send their kids to coed schools.

amother
Peachpuff

Post Sun, May 07 2023, 2:41 pm
Similar issue btw, my dh and your dh probably have the same job LOL

amother
Dimgray

Post Sun, May 07 2023, 2:43 pm
If you are moving “for the kids” this is not going to be “for them” at all.

And they wont be near the types of schools you currently in order to even be able to do what you are doing now. And def no “like minded friends” at all. So…no

amother
OP

Post Sun, May 07 2023, 3:19 pm
thank you for the honest responses....sigh...so what do y'll suggest? where can I go? it has to be commutable to queens....

amother
Mintgreen

Post Sun, May 07 2023, 5:08 pm
What about east meadow?

amother
NeonGreen

Post Sun, May 07 2023, 5:54 pm
There are affordable houses in woodmere for under $750k. Woodmere has all types.

amother
Brickred

Post Sun, May 07 2023, 6:25 pm
amother OP wrote:
thank you for the honest responses....sigh...so what do y'll suggest? where can I go? it has to be commutable to queens....

Bayswater?

amother
NeonPink

Post Mon, May 08 2023, 9:18 am
amother Brickred wrote:
Bayswater?

Was going to suggest this too. The tricky part is finding a house there, but there are some rental apartments with decent space.

amother
Hyacinth

Post Mon, May 08 2023, 11:03 am
I'm really sorry to hear you are priced out of WH. It's sounds like a good fit but there's really nothing on the market right now. Have you called the local realtors? They know what's for sale way before its listed everywhere.

amother
OP

Post Tue, May 09 2023, 5:00 pm
what is east meadow like? all the posts about it are kind of old...does anyone live there and can describe the current situation? also houses don't seem that cheap..

amother
Turquoise

Post Tue, May 09 2023, 5:43 pm
amother Hyacinth wrote:
I'm really sorry to hear you are priced out of WH. It's sounds like a good fit but there's really nothing on the market right now. Have you called the local realtors? They know what's for sale way before its listed everywhere.

West Hempstead is indeed a thriving, expanding frum community- you will fit in! Keep looking!

amother
White

Post Tue, May 09 2023, 6:24 pm
While I dont know much about Oceanside, I dont think it has much going on there. https://www.ou.org/communities.....ates/

We looked into West Hempstead & visited for Shabbos - huge community with many shuls, minyanim for all types, kosher food etc. Prices are on the higher side.

Also looked into East Meadow. Much smaller but growing community. It is a little cheaper there, (prices going up everywhere) but you will get more bang for your buck. https://www.kehillaofeastmeadow.com/
Reach out to the community/s and check out each place.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> Moving/ Relocating