Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Shopping
Getting items you didn’t order from Amazon - Creepy!
1  2  3  Next

amother
OP

Post Thu, May 11 2023, 2:44 pm
Did anyone have this happen to them? About a month ago I got a case of baby wipes I never ordered. I thought it was a mistake, laughed and passed it on to someone who could use it.

Between yesterday and today I got 3 separate deliveries of a Johnson and Johnson baby bath care gift set, a pregnancy pillow, and some newborn undershirts. They all had a random non Jewish name on the label, but definitely my address.

The creepy part is that my baby is 10 years old. And I happen to be pretty newly pregnant. Most people don’t know yet.

I already alerted Amazon and asked them to look into this. Checked my credit cards as well, no fraudulent charges. Not showing up on my account either, and no gift receipt.

Did anyone have this happen to them? It feels like a prank or some kind of stalking or hacking but I don’t know what or why.

scruffy

Post Thu, May 11 2023, 2:46 pm
Sounds like someone put together a baby registry on Amazon with the wrong address.

HonesttoGod

Post Thu, May 11 2023, 2:47 pm
scruffy wrote:
Sounds like someone put together a baby registry on Amazon with the wrong address.

This.

amother
OP

Post Thu, May 11 2023, 2:47 pm
scruffy wrote:
You think? 1 item a month ago, and then 3 more yesterday and today?

And I’m almost sure the one from a month ago had my name on it.

Fox

Post Thu, May 11 2023, 2:48 pm
Yes -- I've had this happen a number of times. I've never figured out why it happens. In all cases, Amazon told me to keep the stuff or pass it along to someone who could use it.

I'm a really, really heavy Amazon user; my three daughters are on my Prime Account, and we average 2-3 purchases per day and sometimes more. But I agree that it's a weird feeling.

scruffy

Post Thu, May 11 2023, 2:48 pm
amother OP wrote:
You think? 1 item a month ago, and then 3 more today yesterday and today?

3 more at the same time sounds like they just gave people the link.

Not sure why the first item would be a month ago though.

Did they all have the same name?

Last edited by scruffy on Thu, May 11 2023, 2:49 pm; edited 1 time in total

Miri1

Post Thu, May 11 2023, 2:49 pm
If it’s all addressed to the same person it’s probably a mistake in their address. Good you contacted Amazon so it can be fixed.

chili-n-cholent

Post Thu, May 11 2023, 2:49 pm
I had this at one point.
I got a few boxes with super random items and chinese junk.
It had my name & address on it.
I reached out to amazon and they said it sometimes happens in their system and just keep the stuff.
But your story sounds way more creepy.
Bshah Tovah!

amother
OP

Post Thu, May 11 2023, 2:50 pm
scruffy wrote:
3 more at the same time sounds like they just gave people the link.

Not sure why the first item would be a month ago though.

Did they all have the same name?
Almost sure the one a month ago had my name

Boca00

Post Thu, May 11 2023, 2:51 pm
I had it once that it was random stuff I didn’t order and it was to my name. Some shady sellers will do this to game the algorithm by placing orders in other peoples names in order to make Amazon think they are getting more sales than they actually are. It could be a seller I bought previously from so they had my contact info.

In your case it seems like a mistake though. Maybe a similar address. Did you Google the name?

amother
Hunter

Post Thu, May 11 2023, 2:52 pm
Someone once told me that if you get random cheap items sometimes it’s the seller making a new account and buying their own things shipping to random addresses so they can rate themselves. We had gotten for a while with one specific name every 2-3 months another 2-3 items would show up.

amother
OP

Post Thu, May 11 2023, 2:54 pm
Boca00 wrote:
I had it once that it was random stuff I didn’t order and it was to my name. Some shady sellers will do this to game the algorithm by placing orders in other peoples names in order to make Amazon think they are getting more sales than they actually are. It could be a seller I bought previously from so they had my contact info.

In your case it seems like a mistake though. Maybe a similar address. Did you Google the name?
Just googled the name and nothing came up. No similar addresses either, very unusual street name.

amother
Mustard

Post Thu, May 11 2023, 2:56 pm
amother OP wrote:
Almost sure the one a month ago had my name

Well, this one little fact changes the entire story. An almost sure is not gonna cut it.

amother
Yolk

Post Thu, May 11 2023, 2:56 pm
Fox wrote:
Yes -- I've had this happen a number of times. I've never figured out why it happens. In all cases, Amazon told me to keep the stuff or pass it along to someone who could use it.

I'm a really, really heavy Amazon user; my three daughters are on my Prime Account, and we average 2-3 purchases per day and sometimes more. But I agree that it's a weird feeling.

Hey im a pretty heavy Amazon user too! why dont I get free stuff!??! No fair
lol

Goldie613

Post Thu, May 11 2023, 2:57 pm
Try searching for that person's name online with a slight variation to the address. So if you are on 14th avenue, try 14th street or 14th road, and see if that's it. You could then theoretically call the person up to let them know what's happening, or if you aren't comfortable doing that, you could pass that additional info on to Amazon so they can hopefully get this straightened out.

I'm not sure what's appropriate to do with the stuff - forward it to the person? Return to amazon? Since you didn't pay for it, you may have to ask a shaila about keeping it, unless amazon tells you to do exactly that.

Good luck!

amother
OP

Post Thu, May 11 2023, 2:57 pm
amother Hunter wrote:
Someone once told me that if you get random cheap items sometimes it’s the seller making a new account and buying their own things shipping to random addresses so they can rate themselves. We had gotten for a while with one specific name every 2-3 months another 2-3 items would show up.
Definitely feels random but all in the baby theme and not necessarily cheap. An entire case of Huggies wipes, Johnson and Johnson gift basket…

amother
OP

Post Thu, May 11 2023, 2:58 pm
Goldie613 wrote:
Try searching for that person's name online with a slight variation to the address. So if you are on 14th avenue, try 14th street or 14th road, and see if that's it. You could then theoretically call the person up to let them know what's happening, or if you aren't comfortable doing that, you could pass that additional info on to Amazon so they can hopefully get this straightened out.

I'm not sure what's appropriate to do with the stuff - forward it to the person? Return to amazon? Since you didn't pay for it, you may have to ask a shaila about keeping it, unless amazon tells you to do exactly that.

Good luck!
A blank fb account with the name, and a history page with someone from the year 1515 Surprised
Very not typical street name, literally nothing similar

Ridethewaves

Post Thu, May 11 2023, 3:03 pm
Did You sign up for a baby website like whattoexpect.com? Maybe you inadvertently signed up for a free baby registry promo or something.

amother
Starflower

Post Thu, May 11 2023, 3:04 pm
Op, that is so weird!!
Can you google the guys name and see where he lives?
He must have entered the wrong address by mistake… what else could it be?
My order has gone to another address more than once because the driver did not realize that the street name is almost the same with one letter different. Now when we see that an order was delivered but it’s not by our door we drive over to the other block. Luckily it’s only 3 minutes away and it’s a frum family.

amother
Aqua

Post Thu, May 11 2023, 3:05 pm
sometimes they look thru your searches and send you things. or get lists from insurance or your drs office. Like im pregnant now and Ive gotten samples and coupons randomly in the mail that I never asked for and from websites I never heard of. Its creepy.
Page 1 of 3 1  2  3  Next Recent Topics