Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Health & Wellness -> Healthy Lifestyle/ Weight Loss/ Exercise
Six years ago today

Chana Miriam S

Post Thu, May 11 2023, 4:50 pm
Six years ago today, my ophthalmologist found that I had retinopathy, and it turned out it was from prediabetes.

I was really unwell. I weighed over three hundred pounds (five one ) and I felt like I was gonna die all the time.

I don’t have much time today because I just started my last semester of nursing school and I’m Drowning in work but seriously how much my life has changed in that time.

I’m maintaining around a hundred pound weightloss ( and weirdly have completely different opinions about weightloss being good for a person than I did six years ago when I assumed it was always a good thing.)

I’ve had subclinical blood glucose for 5.5 years.

I don’t have a million aches and pains, don’t feel like I’m going to drop dead, resolved my GERD, my blood pressure is pristine… my endurance is insane, my ADHD is much improved and my migraines stopped.

My goal is to be a Diabetic/Bariatric Educator and teach Doctors how to implement best practices with their patients.

I have to get back to my anatomy/physiology/pharmacology homework, but I felt I could not let this moment go by without acknowledging it. It was like the death of the old miserable me and the New one who just gets miserable because nursing school is hard and sometimes unpleasant.

amother
Currant

Post Thu, May 11 2023, 4:53 pm
Congrats! Good luck on your career.

I’m interested in your new perspective on weight loss!

kenz

Post Thu, May 11 2023, 4:54 pm
That’s remarkable! Mazel tov! May you see continued success in all ways iyH.

Chana Miriam S

Post Thu, May 11 2023, 5:05 pm
amother Currant wrote:
Congrats! Good luck on your career.

I’m interested in your new perspective on weight loss!

Basically, I don’t thing weightloss is benign. I think that depending on the person and their history it can actually be harmful.

I think we’d all be better off if we chased health in other ways. Definitely eating right but not eating too little, eating the right things for metabolic health and so on. Exercise for the joy of moving rather than as a punishment.

I could go on but I have a ton of homework and it’s a huge pile on because I have only seven weeks of class until my final placement!

Chana Miriam S

Post Thu, May 11 2023, 5:05 pm
kenz wrote:
That’s remarkable! Mazel tov! May you see continued success in all ways iyH.

Thank you!

amother
Firethorn

Post Fri, May 12 2023, 12:48 am
I suffer from chronic migraines, I would love to know what helped with that.
If you can briefly post I would appreciate it very much.
Hatzlacha rabba on your new career!

grace413

Post Fri, May 12 2023, 6:08 am
Wishing you continued hatzlacha with your food management and your new career.

Chana Miriam S

Post Fri, May 12 2023, 6:31 am
amother Firethorn wrote:
I suffer from chronic migraines, I would love to know what helped with that.
If you can briefly post I would appreciate it very much.
Hatzlacha rabba on your new career!

I never caught any relationship between me and food and migraines ( except some red wine, one time.)

I had migraines from the time I was five to the time I changed the way I ate, as often as daily for months at a time. I was on 3200 mg of Advil daily plus whatever narcotic when I got to my limit of Advil. Surprised I have any kidneys left.

Shabbat was the worst. I was sick literally ever Shabbat, often not well enough to join for lunch.

After I changed my way of eating, within a very short time the headaches calmed down. Since I’ve never gone back to eating the things I ate before, I’m not willing to test my theory.

At the time I started I was basically eating Atkins style ( without the processed foods and sweetener). It was, I guess like a massive elimination diet but because I never added it back it, I can’t say for certain. It’s very motivating to have one light migraine in a year or two that you can take one or two Advil to get rid of.

Things I ate:
Animal products including meats, poultry, fish, eggs, cheese
Vegetable: lower in carb ones because what I was solving wasn’t migraines, it was diabetes.

I didn’t eat fruit for over three years. Even now, I’m pretty tight with it and stick to berries and non sweet apples.

Your mileage may very but I remain convinced after hearing a fair number of other people say this happened to them that it’s a distinct possibility.

I’ll send you the pdf if you pm me an email. Refuah shlemah.

Chana Miriam S

Post Fri, May 12 2023, 6:31 am
grace413 wrote:
Wishing you continued hatzlacha with your food management and your new career.

Thank you!

amother
Topaz

Post Fri, May 12 2023, 11:30 am
deleted upon op's request

Chana Miriam S

Post Fri, May 12 2023, 1:03 pm
I’ll just say that I’ve tried to lower my internet ‘footprint’ because now I’m patient facing and some parts of this site are open.

Chana Miriam S

Post Fri, May 12 2023, 1:04 pm
Thanks, topaz.

Last edited by Chana Miriam S on Fri, May 12 2023, 3:38 pm; edited 1 time in total

amother
Lightyellow

Post Fri, May 12 2023, 1:45 pm
That must feel wonderful that you have lost SO much weight and regained your health!

Nursing school is gruesome. I watched my mother go through nursing school when I was a teen. Some of her professors made her anxious. Working long hours in the hospital after she became an RN was really hard.
Probably one of the most accomplishing things she did in her life aside for raising her family.
Lots of luck to you!

May you have continued strength!

amother
Tomato

Post Fri, May 12 2023, 1:46 pm
I want to thank Chana Miriam for sharing her diet plan with me. When I was diagnosed with diabetes last summer I had no idea what to do-besides lose weight-but how. BH Chana Miriam sent me the pdf of her diet and I have changed my way of eating too.

I've lost 45 lbs and am pre-diabetic. Very close to being non diabetic and hoping my next blood test shows I've done it. DH joined me in the diet and has lost over 30 lbs.

And I've made a new friend too. I am in regular contact with Chana Miriam via whatsapp.

Chana Miriam S

Post Fri, May 12 2023, 3:34 pm
amother Tomato wrote:
I want to thank Chana Miriam for sharing her diet plan with me. When I was diagnosed with diabetes last summer I had no idea what to do-besides lose weight-but how. BH Chana Miriam sent me the pdf of her diet and I have changed my way of eating too.

I've lost 45 lbs and am pre-diabetic. Very close to being non diabetic and hoping my next blood test shows I've done it. DH joined me in the diet and has lost over 30 lbs.

And I've made a new friend too. I am in regular contact with Chana Miriam via whatsapp.

We are DEFINITELY friends and I look forward to getting together in person some day!

Chana Miriam S

Post Fri, May 12 2023, 3:37 pm
amother Lightyellow wrote:
That must feel wonderful that you have lost SO much weight and regained your health!

Nursing school is gruesome. I watched my mother go through nursing school when I was a teen. Some of her professors made her anxious. Working long hours in the hospital after she became an RN was really hard.
Probably one of the most accomplishing things she did in her life aside for raising her family.
Lots of luck to you!

May you have continued strength!

It’s interesting because over this long period of time, I realize that it’s not really about weightloss for me at this point, it’s about feeling good!

Nursing school is stressful. I’ve been blessed with really great professors but ultimately the workload is enormous and enough to drown in.

I’m not sure if I’ll continue to become an RN after, because where I am, RPN AND RN have similarities in their scopes of practice and I don’t particularly want to work in an ICU, or with other unstable patients. I am grateful to be finishing in august!

Thanks so much for your good wishes!
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Health & Wellness -> Healthy Lifestyle/ Weight Loss/ Exercise