Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children -> Infants
Is it neglectful or harmful?
1  2  3  Next

amother
OP

Post Sun, May 14 2023, 12:05 pm
My baby is generally very hard and refuses to play when he is around me. He is about 10 months.

The only time that he plays nicely is when he is in his crib. It’s really weird but I could put him in his crib with toys, and he will play for hours by himself. Sometimes when he is very kvetchy, I put him in his crib and he is happy to play.

Is it bad that when he wakes up from his nap, I let him play for a long time in his crib or when I clean up the house, I put him in his crib with toys?

Everyday, he wakes up around 6:30 AM and he plays nicely in his crib for an hour while I still sleep. Once I hear him complaining I take him out and feed him.

accountantmommy

Post Sun, May 14 2023, 12:08 pm
I think it is great as long as you make sure to give him lots of breaks to play out of the crib also to develop his gross motor skills.

hodeez

Post Sun, May 14 2023, 12:12 pm
Sounds like a win win to me. Probably won't last too long, enjoy it:)

#BestBubby

Post Sun, May 14 2023, 12:13 pm
I think it's great,

As long as he also gets plenty of floor time

And some mommy playing time.

Is your Baby ok developmentally Crawling well?

amother
OP

Post Sun, May 14 2023, 12:14 pm
OK thank you so much both of you!

amother
Springgreen

Post Sun, May 14 2023, 12:16 pm
Just be careful because eventually he will learn to climb on top of toys and climb out of the crib.

amother
OP

Post Sun, May 14 2023, 12:16 pm
#BestBubby wrote:
I think it's great,

As long as he also gets plenty of floor time

And some mommy playing time.

Is your Baby ok developmentally Crawling well?

Yes bH! He crawls very well. I think I should play more with him tho. That’s what probably eating me.

amother
Kiwi

Post Sun, May 14 2023, 12:19 pm
I would personally limit it. When he wakes up in the morning and you want to sleep a little more, ok. When you need to do something like prepare a meal and he's being kvetchy, ok. Otherwise I believe human interaction is the most important aspect of child development, and I would want him around me for most of his waking hours. That's my take.

amother
OP

Post Sun, May 14 2023, 12:21 pm
amother Kiwi wrote:
I would personally limit it. When he wakes up in the morning and you want to sleep a little more, ok. When you need to do something like prepare a meal and he's being kvetchy, ok. Otherwise I believe human interaction is the most important aspect of child development, and I would want him around me for most of his waking hours. That's my take.

Does human interaction mean that I should play with him most of the day or does independent play while I am I the room count?

amother
Kiwi

Post Sun, May 14 2023, 12:26 pm
amother OP wrote:
Does human interaction mean that I should play with him most of the day or does independent play while I am I the room count?

Not at all, you should definitely be playing with him part of the day, but independent play while you're nearby is also important.

amother
Olive

Post Sun, May 14 2023, 12:35 pm
Lol I have the same! I feel so guilty but my baby is so happy in her crib! In the moring when she wakes up I give her a bottle and toys in her crib and easily plays for an hour and in the afternoon when she get's kvetchy I just put her in her crib with some toys and she's so calm and happy! Glad to hear I'm not the only one!
My daughter is 18 months btw, has been doing it since she's really little. Maybe she's just an introvert and needs her space, like me LOL

#BestBubby

Post Sun, May 14 2023, 12:38 pm
I think the ability to entertain oneself is important for all ages.

Lots of kids are ok playing by themselves,

But not when they see mommy.

Then it's hold me, play with me

Which is important, but not all day.

amother
Mint

Post Sun, May 14 2023, 12:41 pm
My toddler is growing out of nap time so what I do is I put her in her crib for a half hour to play with toys. This way he is resting and as soon as she kvetches I take him out.

amother
Raspberry

Post Sun, May 14 2023, 12:43 pm
My daughter that's 12 now, was like this as a baby, and she's still like this. She can play by herself for hours! OP, if baby is happy and you take him out when he wants to, there's nothing wrong with this.

amother
Hyacinth

Post Sun, May 14 2023, 1:24 pm
It’s neglectful. You should be changing babies diaper and feeding them right away. Letting them just stay in the crib a lot is neglectful and sad for baby.

behappy2

Post Sun, May 14 2023, 1:27 pm
What is it about the crib that is making them happier? I would just be curious about it. I like what BestBubby said. Maybe seeing you and not being able to have you is hard. Or maybe the containment on the crib, safety.

miami85

Post Sun, May 14 2023, 1:36 pm
That's great if he is able to entertain himself. My kids rush to take my baby out the second she wakes up and I'm like "LEAVE HER" if she is unhappy she will cry.

LovesHashem

Post Sun, May 14 2023, 1:39 pm
amother Hyacinth wrote:
It’s neglectful. You should be changing babies diaper and feeding them right away. Letting them just stay in the crib a lot is neglectful and sad for baby.

If the baby isn't crying or kvetching, it's fine. If a baby is hungry or is uncomfortable they will kvetch or cry.

dancingqueen

Post Sun, May 14 2023, 1:54 pm
I’m going to be honest I think it’s not great. I don’t like getting up early either so I think it’s fine to leave baby in the crib if they are happy until they call for you in the morning, but it sounds like baby is alone playing in their crib for hours a day. Imagine if you had a nanny and she was doing that what would you think?

amother
Raspberry

Post Sun, May 14 2023, 1:57 pm
amother Hyacinth wrote:

There's nothing neglectful about it if the baby is happy. If they’re hungry, they'll cry. Not all babies need breakfast first thing in the morning.
Page 1 of 3 1  2  3  Next Recent Topics