Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Recipe Collection -> Healthy Cooking
Fat free yom tov cooking

strawberry cola

Post Sun, May 14 2023, 3:11 pm
I am hosting a guest who is on a fat free diet because of gall bladder issues. What can I give him that will be yomtovdik, for both a milchig and fleishig seudah on Shavuos? For the fleishig seudah, I can grill skinless chicken. But I certainly cannot feed him the fettucini alfredo or eggplant rollatini that my family enjoys. He does not care for fish. Is there anything I could do with pasta that doesen't include cheese, butter or oil?
Any ideas would be much appreciated.

lamplighter

Post Sun, May 14 2023, 3:18 pm
Can you ask him what kinds of things he likes to eat? That should help give you ideas.

accountantmommy

Post Sun, May 14 2023, 3:20 pm
Maybe a fancy tofu based curry with white rice. Can he have low fat dairy?

ra_mom

Post Sun, May 14 2023, 3:20 pm
You can make a faux Alfredo sauce with fat free milk and flour, but I'd be hesitant to make that if his dietary restrictions are due to his gallbladder health. I'd rather ask him what he usually eats at a non meaty meal before I start.

ra_mom

Post Sun, May 14 2023, 3:28 pm
Potato blintz (no fat added to potatoes or crepes).
Bow tie pasta tossed with fresh parsley, garlic, salt and pepper (almost like a pesto) and topped with roasted veggies.
Breaded and baked eggplant stix with warm marinara sauce.
Does he like sushi? Rice is virtually fat free.
A fat free Greek yogurt sweetened with sugar to dollop as a cream over strawberries.
Cheese snack made with fat free Greek yogurt.
Just some ideas to pass by him. I don't know what he can actually eat.

amother
Eggplant

Post Sun, May 14 2023, 4:45 pm
ra_mom wrote:
Potato blintz (no fat added to potatoes or crepes).
Bow tie pasta tossed with fresh parsley, garlic, salt and pepper (almost like a pesto) and topped with roasted veggies.
Breaded and baked eggplant stix with warm marinara sauce.
Does he like sushi? Rice is virtually fat free.
A fat free Greek yogurt sweetened with sugar to dollop as a cream over strawberries.
Cheese snack made with fat free Greek yogurt.
Just some ideas to pass by him. I don't know what he can actually eat.

Do you have a recipe for the fat free cheese snack?

amother
Teal

Post Sun, May 14 2023, 4:57 pm
Pasta in tomato sauce

ra_mom

Post Sun, May 14 2023, 4:58 pm
amother Eggplant wrote:
Do you have a recipe for the fat free cheese snack?

2 (5.3-oz.) containers plain Greek yogurt
2 eggs (for fat free 4 egg whites instead)
1/4 cup sugar
1 tablespoon cornstarch

http://www.printablekosherreci......html

Dev80

Post Mon, May 15 2023, 12:26 am
I've had to eat fat free or low fat on and off for years for this reason.

Meat - like you said, grilled chicken is a good option. Also roasted turkey breast and you can serve it with cranberry sauce (dinner done has an easy turkey breast recipe). Sides can be sweet potato pie (just skip the oil or nut toppings), steamed brocoli or green beans. Starch without oil - rice, couscous etc. Deli is also generally low fat.

For dairy, you can do esti wolbes faked ziti and just skip the cheese at the end (it's essentially milk, water and marina sauce). Can he have low fat? If so, at least in Israel, we can get cottage, quark, and feta cheese at 5% or lower (feta you can't get lower but the others you can).
If he can have low fat, you can do home made pizza dough with sauce, feta, and veggies.
You can also do a blended veggie soup - and saute the veggies in white wine instead of oil.
I don't have exact recipes as these are mostly methods but I hope this gave you some ideas.

Dev80

Post Mon, May 15 2023, 12:27 am
Oh Also apple crisp can be made with very little oil - I put a dash in the topping and then rest I use water. Comes out a bit crunchier but the taste is the same

amother
Ultramarine

Post Mon, May 15 2023, 1:04 am
ra_mom wrote:
1/4 cup sugar
1 tablespoon cornstarch

Thanks for posting! Looks delish!

amother
Eggplant

Post Tue, May 16 2023, 5:15 pm
Dev80 wrote:
I've had to eat fat free or low fat on and off for years for this reason.

Meat - like you said, grilled chicken is a good option. Also roasted turkey breast and you can serve it with cranberry sauce (dinner done has an easy turkey breast recipe). Sides can be sweet potato pie (just skip the oil or nut toppings), steamed brocoli or green beans. Starch without oil - rice, couscous etc. Deli is also generally low fat.

For dairy, you can do esti wolbes faked ziti and just skip the cheese at the end (it's essentially milk, water and marina sauce). Can he have low fat? If so, at least in Israel, we can get cottage, quark, and feta cheese at 5% or lower (feta you can't get lower but the others you can).
If he can have low fat, you can do home made pizza dough with sauce, feta, and veggies.
You can also do a blended veggie soup - and saute the veggies in white wine instead of oil.
I don't have exact recipes as these are mostly methods but I hope this gave you some ideas.

Is sautéing in white whine a good alternative foe frying veggies in all recipes or only in some circumstances? Is there anything to note when doing so?
I just never heard of doing this and it sounds interesting and a good healthy alternative!

Dev80

Post Tue, May 16 2023, 6:59 pm
amother Eggplant wrote:
Is sautéing in white whine a good alternative foe frying veggies in all recipes or only in some circumstances? Is there anything to note when doing so?
I just never heard of doing this and it sounds interesting and a good healthy alternative!

I've really only tried it for soups, because they don't need to be perfectly soft as they'll be cooked more and possibly blended. It's not going to caramelize onions or anything, but just gives them a little something before cooking in liquid for soup.

amother
Eggplant

Post Wed, May 17 2023, 2:17 pm
ra_mom wrote:
1/4 cup sugar
1 tablespoon cornstarch

Quick question regarding this recipe.
If I don't have corn starch, do you think I can replace it with flour?

amother
Eggplant

Post Wed, May 17 2023, 2:18 pm
Dev80 wrote:
I've really only tried it for soups, because they don't need to be perfectly soft as they'll be cooked more and possibly blended. It's not going to caramelize onions or anything, but just gives them a little something before cooking in liquid for soup.

Ahh ok. Thank you!

amother
Snapdragon

Post Wed, May 17 2023, 2:27 pm
When I ate fat free before my gallbladder surgery I literally only ate fruits and vegetables. There’s fat in everything.
These days there’s fat free cottage cheese, fat free ice cream not much else is completely fat free
I think I ate a little matzah when I had to wash

amother
Celeste

Post Thu, May 18 2023, 4:25 pm
amother Snapdragon wrote:
When I ate fat free before my gallbladder surgery I literally only ate fruits and vegetables. There’s fat in everything.
These days there’s fat free cottage cheese, fat free ice cream not much else is completely fat free
I think I ate a little matzah when I had to wash

Same here. I washed on matza and ate plain cooked potatoes, sweet potatoes, and carrots and cooked or baked fruit. For some reason a lot of raw vegetables triggered my problem. The only protein I ate was grilled chicken breast. Baked salmon and other fish weren’t on my menu. You should really ask your guest. Even though there’s fat free dairy they might not be eating it but everyone’s different.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Recipe Collection -> Healthy Cooking