Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management -> Cleaning & Laundry
Color ran everywhere

blueberry6

Post Wed, May 17 2023, 12:19 am
I just washed my daughter's shabbos dress for the first time (cold delicate cycle) and it came out of the wash with pink stripes all over. It originally had very faint-colored alternating beige and cream stripes or something like that, and I suppose the color only ran onto one color stripe.... so it's a very regular pattern, except.... it's pink. And the dress was beige/cream with tiny blue flowers all over, so you can imagine that it looks terrible right now, kind of like a clown suit.
Anyway. I suppose I shouldn't have washed it with darker colors, even though I've done this a million times before in the past and nothing like this has ever happened. Is there anything I can do to salvage this situation? Can you get a color run out of clothing, particularly if it's basically the whole garment that got colored?

amother
Jean

Post Wed, May 17 2023, 12:33 am
So frustrating! I don't have a solution for the ruined dress, but for future reference Shout Color Catchers are amazing. I had similar problems in the past until I discovered them and now throw one in every delicates load.

amother
Chartreuse

Post Wed, May 17 2023, 12:36 am
I wash all these things alone. Always. Rather be safe than have a ruined dress.

amother
Stone

Post Wed, May 17 2023, 1:00 am
I would try to wash it again in cold water with a bunch of color catcher sheets.

Post Wed, May 17 2023, 1:39 am
Op, I had similar with my baby’s clothing and my mom told me to rewash it and add some vinegar to the cycle. B”H it worked. Hope it does for you as well!

amother
Fern

Post Wed, May 17 2023, 10:25 am
Does vinegar ruin the washing machine?

amother
Catmint

Post Wed, May 17 2023, 10:29 am
Soak it in a bucket of water with a cup of vinegar overnight. Wash it alone the next day. That should do the trick.

Bnei Berak 10

Post Wed, May 17 2023, 10:34 am
Laundry 101: ALWAYS wash new garments separately. That also go for new dark colored towels.

amother
Bellflower

Post Wed, May 17 2023, 10:36 am
Use RIT Color Remover, sold in supermarket laundry aisles and sometimes sewing stores. Follow package directions. But be aware it may remove some of the dress's original color as well. I once used it on a sweater with blue and red stripes that ran and ended up with a sweater with orange and rust stripes. Still, I had a usable sweater, not a cozy rag.

amother
Jasmine

Post Wed, May 17 2023, 10:36 am
Try rehashing it in cold water with several color catcher sheets.

zaq

Post Wed, May 17 2023, 10:38 am
Vinegar added to your rinse cycle will not ruin your machine. I use vinegar instead of fabric softener in every load.

amother
Fern

Post Wed, May 17 2023, 10:48 am
zaq wrote:
Vinegar added to your rinse cycle will not ruin your machine. I use vinegar instead of fabric softener in every load.

Which type? 5 % cooking type?

zaq

Post Wed, May 17 2023, 1:03 pm
Yep. Plain dumb distilled white vinegar from the supermarket or Pesachdik imitation vinegar. I pour it right into the fabric softener compartment of the machine.

amother
Kiwi

Post Fri, May 19 2023, 3:21 am
amother Fern wrote:
Does vinegar ruin the washing machine?

Why do you think it does?? Hoping it doesn’t…

Bnei Berak 10

Post Fri, May 19 2023, 3:24 am
zaq wrote:
Yep. Plain dumb distilled white vinegar from the supermarket or Pesachdik imitation vinegar. I pour it right into the fabric softener compartment of the machine.

This post needs to be pinned.
Bonus: it's a natural fabric softener Smile
The smell will disappear once the garment is dry.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Household Management -> Cleaning & Laundry