Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management -> Finances
At what age did you buy your house?
  Previous  1  2  3  4  5  6  Next

At what age did you buy your house?
At age 20-30  
 63%  [ 235 ]
At age 30-40  
 33%  [ 125 ]
40-50  
 1%  [ 5 ]
50+  
 1%  [ 4 ]
Total Votes : 369

amother
NeonBlue

Post Thu, May 18 2023, 9:13 pm
25 in monsey area 2 years ago

greentea

Post Thu, May 18 2023, 9:17 pm
28, North Jersey 350k in 2020
Interest rates were really low due to covid (2.5%,
No help from parents, put down 20% and also paid back 80k student debt in 7 years.
It's not gorgeous but we bought it with Hashem's help and no gifts.

amother
Crystal

Post Thu, May 18 2023, 9:19 pm
No option for under 20. I bought when I was 18 in Lakewood

amother
Aster

Post Thu, May 18 2023, 9:19 pm
39, boro park, 2020

Short term family loan, (all paid back Baruch Hashem.)

Over 1 mill, two family

amother
Linen

Post Thu, May 18 2023, 9:53 pm
1st home at 28 in FL. For $210,000 and back then we thought it was a fortune, lol!

amother
Snowflake

Post Thu, May 18 2023, 10:05 pm
Moved into a new house at 31 that we built from the ground up, so we started a few years before that. Lakewood area (neighboring town)
No help from anyone, it was a struggle and grind until the very end and we are very grateful to Hashem and proud of what we’ve accomplished. We both work really hard, no programs or government assistance.

amother
Camellia

Post Thu, May 18 2023, 10:20 pm
amother Lawngreen wrote:
So is it possible to buy in the year 2023?? Im a speech therapist and live paycheck to paycheck! Im nervous about the future. Have a 3 year old and expecting now. It doesnt seem possible in this day and age

Move out of town? I live in Waterbury in Blue Ridge, newer house for about 400 k

amother
Eggshell

Post Thu, May 18 2023, 10:51 pm
Northern NJ
Bought first house in 2004 at 24. No help.

Bought second house in 2022. Took a short term loan from family because we needed to close on the new house before we sold the old one. But as soon as that sold we fully repaid the loan.

When we bought the new house we put enough down (about 60%) so that our mortgage plus taxes only went up 500 a month even though the new house is much bigger and more expensive.

amother
Bronze

Post Thu, May 18 2023, 11:38 pm
amother Crystal wrote:

You bought or someone bought for you?
How did you have money at that age?

amother
Bottlebrush

Post Fri, May 19 2023, 12:09 am
Age 28

Absolutely had parental help on the down payment. I've come to the conclusion that any young married person whom buys a house has the same.

amother
Mayflower

Post Fri, May 19 2023, 12:12 am
No option for me... I bought my house as a newlywed, when I was 19 Smile
Manchester, England!
It was over 20 years ago, just before the market went up really high. I think we bought it for about 85k pounds. Now it's worth so much more, it's crazy!
Put down 10%, that was easy. between dh and I , we had over 8000 pounds in our savings accounts. So we blew our savings on the house.

amother
Chartreuse

Post Fri, May 19 2023, 12:18 am
amother Bottlebrush wrote:
Age 28

Absolutely had parental help on the down payment. I've come to the conclusion that any young married person whom buys a house has the same.

Lol that’s an assumption.

We haven’t bought yet because we had to move around for education/ work but bh have enough to buy a house in cash since we are 27/30 years old.

The housing market is crazy now and it scares me to buy in such high tide.

mfb

Post Fri, May 19 2023, 12:18 am
amother Crystal wrote:

Curious how you did that?

amother
Latte

Post Fri, May 19 2023, 5:38 am
amother Mayflower wrote:
No option for me... I bought my house as a newlywed, when I was 19 Smile
Manchester, England!
It was over 20 years ago, just before the market went up really high. I think we bought it for about 85k pounds. Now it's worth so much more, it's crazy!
Put down 10%, that was easy. between dh and I , we had over 8000 pounds in our savings accounts. So we blew our savings on the house.

We bought for under 160k in 2017, cash buy but had to put a lot of money into it. Now we've added a big extension bH so the value is around 500+ such a brocho that we bought it so cheap.
In my parents days it was relatively easy to buy a house. Everyone bought straight after marriage, if not before. Now the market is crazy. I'm not sure what will be with our kids. I wish we had a house for each of them.

The house that we bought, if in the state we bought it in, would now go for at least 250k which is crazy because it did need about 30-40k going straight into it.

amother
Cherry

Post Fri, May 19 2023, 5:47 am
29 years, my first property. We own several properties. We still don’t own the place where we live.

amother
Seafoam

Post Fri, May 19 2023, 6:21 am
Age 28

Interesting conclusion. Personally, I bought something I could afford on my own.

amother
Lilac

Post Fri, May 19 2023, 6:44 am
Age 28

When we bought our first house when we were in our 20s, the real estate agent asked when our parents were coming to look at the property. She assumed someone else was footing the bill, or at least helping. I still remember her surprise when we told her the money was ours. That was 30+ years ago and prices were more reasonable then.

amother
Garnet

Post Fri, May 19 2023, 8:46 am
I'm 42 and closing on my first house next week.
780,000 in Brooklyn for a fully attached small house with no yard, not much bigger than my 2 bedroom apartment. I'm gaining by having a basement with a playroom and extra bedroom but losing out on having parks with playgrounds on every block, friends and family in the community, supermarkets within walking distance, and an eat-in kitchen.
I don't see anything good about owning a house, but dh is obsessed.

amother
Leaf

Post Fri, May 19 2023, 8:50 am
Age 29. Boro park. With zero help. 3 years ago

amother
Dandelion

Post Fri, May 19 2023, 8:54 am
32 five towns. No help. Paid just under 800k
Page 4 of 6   Previous  1  2  3  4  5  6  Next Recent Topics