Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Fashion and Beauty
Help with Indian style gown

amother
OP

Post Sun, May 21 2023, 10:39 am
Looking for a gown online for DS wedding when this Indian website popped with lots of beautiful modest dresses. I chatted with them and they told me the following is not a gown, but I seem to not be understanding them.. Doesn't this look like a gown?

https://www.utsavfashion.com/p.....h2406

amother
Jean

Post Sun, May 21 2023, 10:40 am
Not everyone uses the word gown the same way.

zaq

Post Sun, May 21 2023, 11:17 am
That's stunning! They call it an "abaya-style suit." That means it's a full-length dress styled to resemble the Islamic abaya, which is a long, loose robe covering the entire body . A "suit" means more than one piece. The additional piece/s may be a scarf, shawl, trousers, jacket or vest, or all of the above. Call them again and ask for specifics. Either way, it's a dress. Possibly in their circles, a "gown" refers to a sari.

Cookiegirl

Post Sun, May 21 2023, 11:18 am
It may be a 2 or 3 pc outfit (and the top may not reach the bottom although it appears to in the picture.

ra_mom

Post Sun, May 21 2023, 11:19 am
amother OP wrote:
Looking for a gown online for DS wedding when this Indian website popped with lots of beautiful modest dresses. I chatted with them and they told me the following is not a gown, but I seem to not be understanding them.. Doesn't this look like a gown?

https://www.utsavfashion.com/p.....h2406

Ask them if it's ankle length or floor length.
The fabric may be casual, and that's what they may be referring to regarding the word gown.

amother
Babypink

Post Sun, May 21 2023, 11:23 am
It’s very nice but the neckline is very wide…
Maybe they think a gown means a nightgown?
I wonder what they would answer if you ask them when it would be appropriate to wear this?
I think that shawl thing attached makes it look very Indian so hopefully you can remove it.

amother
OP

Post Sun, May 21 2023, 11:28 am
This was the response I got.... So still not sure ....

As checked both the items KCH2406 and KCH6452 are not Gowns. They are known as Abaya Style Salwar Suits. These are three-piece suits that consist of a Kameez (Top), a Churidar Style Pants (Bottom), and a Dupatta
Why does it look like a dress?
in the picture- I don't see pants?
‘Abaya’, a robe-like dress. The traditional Abaya is a long garment that covers the whole body of the women except the feet and hands.
The Abaya Style Churidar Kameez is similar to this robe, as the kameez of this dress is generally kept floor length. The kameez is paired with a churidar salwar, to ensure that the kameez maintains its gracious shape.

voiceofreason

Post Sun, May 21 2023, 11:33 am
Gown often means robe in the UK- short for "dressing gown".

amother
OP

Post Sun, May 21 2023, 12:02 pm
voiceofreason wrote:
Gown often means robe in the UK- short for "dressing gown".

So this is a robe they wear to weddings. When I think of robe I think of something I stay home in. So culturally a robe to them would be a gown to me?

amother
Ghostwhite

Post Sun, May 21 2023, 12:05 pm
It looks absolutely gorgeous let us know!

amother
DarkViolet

Post Sun, May 21 2023, 12:10 pm
Before thinking to order I would first find out their return policy.

amother
Mauve

Post Sun, May 21 2023, 12:13 pm
It is 2 peices plus the scarf. So a 2 peice set.

amother
Tanzanite

Post Sun, May 21 2023, 12:18 pm
It honestly looks like a costume unless this is your culture. I would wear it in public unless it was Purim. And yes, Indians do wear Aladdin style pants under some of their skirts. The top and the bottom often don’t touch either- leaving a bare midriff.

amother
OP

Post Sun, May 21 2023, 12:28 pm
It's pretty cheap and I think it may be worth the experiment!

ra_mom

Post Sun, May 21 2023, 12:43 pm
amother OP wrote:
This was the response I got.... So still not sure ....

As checked both the items KCH2406 and KCH6452 are not Gowns. They are known as Abaya Style Salwar Suits. These are three-piece suits that consist of a Kameez (Top), a Churidar Style Pants (Bottom), and a Dupatta
Why does it look like a dress?
in the picture- I don't see pants?
‘Abaya’, a robe-like dress. The traditional Abaya is a long garment that covers the whole body of the women except the feet and hands.
The Abaya Style Churidar Kameez is similar to this robe, as the kameez of this dress is generally kept floor length. The kameez is paired with a churidar salwar, to ensure that the kameez maintains its gracious shape.

Sounds like a top, skirted pants and scarf.

nylon

Post Sun, May 21 2023, 2:19 pm
In indian fashion a "suit" means a top and pants. The top in an abaya style suit is very long like a dress but there's pants underneath that you can't see in the photo. Sometimes the top has a slit, so you see the pants. Churidars are tighter fitting pants with lots of gathers at the ankle.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics