Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management -> Cleaning & Laundry
My clean laundry smells

Clarissa

Post Thu, Jul 03 2008, 5:49 pm
I've been washing a ton of clothes and linen recently, because of the...um...lice outbreak. I've been noticing in the last day or so that the wash is starting to smell funny. Not Springtime fresh. More like Summer Stinky. I have Bounce dryer sheets but I don't like using them. I took a nice, deep whiff of the washer and it does smell a little unpleasant, maybe as a result of having to leave clothes inside for too long.

Is there a way to freshen up the washer? Maybe pour in some baking soda and run an empty wash? If that's a good idea, how much?

tia

Lady Godiva

Post Thu, Jul 03 2008, 5:57 pm
I would do a full cycle with hot water and a cup of bleach in an empty machine. That should kill any mold or summer stinkiness that might be growing in there.

greenfire

Post Thu, Jul 03 2008, 6:06 pm
dahlink clarissa ... baking soda is the good ole smell de-fumigator ... they sell large boxes in the detergent isles for this purpose ... put some in every single wash ... you will find it not only takes out the smell but brightens & whitens w/o the bleach that can fade the colors ... no more stinky summer wet bathing suit smells ...

I guess I missed the lice thing ... so you nit picking Twisted Evil

GAMZu

Post Thu, Jul 03 2008, 7:46 pm
I became addicted to adding baking soda or vinegar (not both at once! LOL) to every wash.I started when we all had stomach viruses and I had to wash linen all day every day. I added those things to disinfect. It's such a good idea!

NotInNJMommy

Post Thu, Jul 03 2008, 9:36 pm
ALso, leaving the washer open when not in use helps let the moisture out.

chany1

Post Sat, Jul 05 2008, 11:10 pm
Front loaders are known to do that. You can get a special tablet to put in on an empty cycle. It should take the smell of mold away.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Household Management -> Cleaning & Laundry