Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Working Women
Cleaning lady agency?
1  2  Next

amother
OP

Post Mon, May 29 2023, 12:55 pm
I somehow find myself in the position of getting names of ladies who are looking for cleaning help and ladies who are looking to clean. Someone suggested to me to maybe make a business out of it, since I really end up spending a lot of time acting as the shadchan and helping arrange schedules etc.

Has anyone does this before? I would love to hear more and get some tips. I am not looking to necessary make a mint, but maybe enough to make it worth my time and efforts, and to also be a chessed to the community.

amother
Oxfordblue

Post Mon, May 29 2023, 1:00 pm
The cleaning ladies are going to you because you AREN'T taking a % of their income... and on the flip side - the ladies looking for help know that you aren't vetting the cleaners, and you can't be blamed if they stop showing up.

Consider that.

amother
Linen

Post Mon, May 29 2023, 1:06 pm
My mother did this year's ago in the UK, she charged per plan which kept changing so I'm not sure how much of a business it would be. Maybe as a side thing.

amother
Hosta

Post Mon, May 29 2023, 1:12 pm
Either it's parnassah or it's a chessed.

amother
OP

Post Mon, May 29 2023, 2:27 pm
amother Hosta wrote:
Either it's parnassah or it's a chessed.

I would treat it like a gemach, where's there's a minimal amount being made to ensure that I can keep putting time into it. BH, I already have a parnassa.

amother
OP

Post Mon, May 29 2023, 2:30 pm
The people that have been coming to me are ones that have worked for me in the past (and they are bringing their friends) and are looking for more work in my area but they don't have a way of publicizing. When I publicize for them, I am bombarded with questions about them and end up being the middleman for a while

amother
OP

Post Mon, May 29 2023, 3:24 pm
amother Oxfordblue wrote:
The cleaning ladies are going to you because you AREN'T taking a % of their income... and on the flip side - the ladies looking for help know that you aren't vetting the cleaners, and you can't be blamed if they stop showing up.

Consider that.

I actually wouldn't have them take less. They are charging 15/hr and I would have ppl pay 17 or 18/hr to use them

amother
Oxfordblue

Post Mon, May 29 2023, 3:33 pm
amother OP wrote:
I actually wouldn't have them take less. They are charging 15/hr and I would have ppl pay 17 or 18/hr to use them

Is your circle willing to pay 17 or 18 when the going rate is 15?

How do you imagine the cash flow is going to work?

amother
Tealblue

Post Mon, May 29 2023, 3:36 pm
what area are you in? I am actually looking for someone now as are some of my neighbors?

Amarante

Post Mon, May 29 2023, 3:37 pm
You would need to set up a legal business if you are charging people - whether you are deducting from wages or charging people directly

You are now in a business where you would need insurance and would also need to set up a payroll system or else you would potentially be liable for unpaid payroll taxes.

You would also be responsible for verifying that they are legal citizens or have their green cards

There is a reason why agencies charge a lot per hour for their services but don't pay that well to workers because of the cost of running a real business,

amother
OP

Post Mon, May 29 2023, 4:27 pm
Amarante wrote:
You would need to set up a legal business if you are charging people - whether you are deducting from wages or charging people directly

You are now in a business where you would need insurance and would also need to set up a payroll system or else you would potentially be liable for unpaid payroll taxes.

You would also be responsible for verifying that they are legal citizens or have their green cards

There is a reason why agencies charge a lot per hour for their services but don't pay that well to workers because of the cost of running a real business,

I would do it off the books, casual in the community

amother
OP

Post Mon, May 29 2023, 4:30 pm
amother Oxfordblue wrote:
Is your circle willing to pay 17 or 18 when the going rate is 15?

How do you imagine the cash flow is going to work?

The going rate is actually between 20-23 so I imagine ppl would still be very happy with paying 17-18/hr. I assume that these new ladies are not legal or don't have a green card to be able to get an official job and that's why they are charging a lower rate.

cash flow - I would have ppl pay me and I would pay the ladies their amounts at the end of the week

Amarante

Post Mon, May 29 2023, 4:30 pm
amother OP wrote:
I would do it off the books, casual in the community

You would be taking a risk legally by doing it off the books. There are a whole lot of potential things that could go wrong and cause you a lot of problems.

amother
OP

Post Mon, May 29 2023, 4:33 pm
Amarante wrote:
You would be taking a risk legally by doing it off the books. There are a whole lot of potential things that could go wrong and cause you a lot of problems.

Can you elaborate? What would be the risks if the ladies aren't legal anyways?

amother
OP

Post Mon, May 29 2023, 4:34 pm
amother Tealblue wrote:
what area are you in? I am actually looking for someone now as are some of my neighbors?

midwest small community

amother
OP

Post Mon, May 29 2023, 4:34 pm
amother Linen wrote:
My mother did this year's ago in the UK, she charged per plan which kept changing so I'm not sure how much of a business it would be. Maybe as a side thing.

Can you elaborate on how she managed this?

amother
Hosta

Post Mon, May 29 2023, 4:50 pm
You have to realize that people aren't going to see this as you doing them a chessed. So you need to realize this is a business.

amother
Glitter

Post Mon, May 29 2023, 4:59 pm
Someone I know does it as a chessed she matches people and doesn’t take a fee. Someone else I know charges and even when I was desperate I still chose not to pay her fee.

lovetobemommy

Post Mon, May 29 2023, 5:01 pm
amother OP wrote:
Can you elaborate? What would be the risks if the ladies aren't legal anyways?

How will people pay you? Would they give you always cash or they might give you a check or quick pay? How will you explain all the additional deposits if you Ch"v get audited? If one of this ladies is stealing and the customer will come after you? Will you have insurance? What if ICE is detaining one of the ladies and she tells them who provided her employment?

amother
Oxfordblue

Post Mon, May 29 2023, 5:19 pm
amother OP wrote:
The going rate is actually between 20-23 so I imagine ppl would still be very happy with paying 17-18/hr. I assume that these new ladies are not legal or don't have a green card to be able to get an official job and that's why they are charging a lower rate.

cash flow - I would have ppl pay me and I would pay the ladies their amounts at the end of the week

How are they going to pay you? Come to your house with cash?
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics