Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Recipe Collection -> Cakes, Cookies, and Muffins
Very cute cookies - good activity for kids.

Purple Hug Bunny

Post Fri, Jul 04 2008, 12:24 pm
I think this is the first time I clicked into this subforum, I don't cook and I don't bake, but in school with the kids we made very cute cookies, and I thought I'd share the idea.
I don't actually have the cookie recipe, but it should work well with mostly any cookie recipe.
when you have the dough, you make any shape with a hole in it, like a bage, for example a circle, a flower or a square.
then lollipops and in a baggie, crush them into tiny pieces.
then put the crushed pieces into the holes (I made a flower and a window)
and when it comes out of the oven, the crushed candy looks like a thin layer of stained glass. it's very cute.
I'll try to get the recipe.

mummy-bh

Post Fri, Jul 04 2008, 12:30 pm
Sounds cute, thanks!

Toot

Post Sun, Jul 06 2008, 10:24 pm
http://www.elise.com/recipes/a.....s.php

Here's a link from a food blog I sometimes read for "stain glass cookies" that you're talking about. She makes them for x-mas, but they obviously don't have to be. Such a cute idea!

greenfire

Post Sun, Jul 06 2008, 10:28 pm
sounds kool Flower

chany1

Post Sun, Jul 06 2008, 10:29 pm
My five year old is home from daycamp for some health issue. I think I will try it. Thanks

BeershevaBubby

Post Mon, Jul 07 2008, 1:26 am
Oh wow! Thanks for posting this! I'm going to bookmark this and blog it.

Starhavah

Post Mon, Jul 07 2008, 11:25 pm
I make these every year during Tishrei with DD when I need an indoor activity. They are a great Chol haMoed Sukkot activity. The only think is don't mix the colors of the cany pieces in one opening or you get a muddy rootbeer color.

Star Havah

BeershevaBubby

Post Tue, Jul 08 2008, 12:26 am
I posted this in my blog and for the most part I've been getting poor reviews... I may give it a try anyway after the move and see for myself.

Pizza

Post Tue, Jul 08 2008, 12:30 am
I made these yesterday with my kids, and they LOVED it
It is a very fun activity, although the cookies themselves didnt come out so gorgeous
Maybe I will try a different brand of candies next time
Definitely an activity that we will do again

pinkbubbles

Post Tue, Jul 08 2008, 5:46 am
Yeah.. I think it depends on the brand of candies used. And if they are crushed into small pieces or just chunks.

Toot

Post Tue, Jul 08 2008, 11:19 am
For those of you who tried it - what cookie recipe did you use?

Starhavah

Post Tue, Jul 08 2008, 12:00 pm
MorahS wrote:
For those of you who tried it - what cookie recipe did you use?

I use premade refrigerator dough (like Pillsberry but kosher). I use sugar cookie dough. It is a little too soft for the shaping with cookie cutters, but I hate rolling out dough so this is what I do.

I find you get the best results from lightly colored candies that are translucent (you can see light through them).

DH hates the finished product because the cookies are soft and the candy comes out hard, but DD loves making them and eating them. They are a great rainly day activity. I like the taste of them if my favorite flavors of candy get used. the less candy you use, the thinner the "stained glass window" and the more light that will shine through the "window". Making them thinner makes them easier to eat as well. do not make the cookie thinner just the candy window. Also do not over bake them. That carmelizes the sugar and darkens the window. Choose and underdone cookie and a lighter window over a golden brown cookie with a brown window for best apprearance.

Star Havah

stargazer

Post Tue, Jul 08 2008, 1:45 pm
There's a recipe for this in Kosher by Design Entertains

momto7

Post Sun, Aug 03 2008, 2:10 am
sounds like a great idea. gonna get together with a friend and her kids and have some fun with this.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Recipe Collection -> Cakes, Cookies, and Muffins