Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Chinuch, Education & Schooling
Who can help my out of control child
Previous  1  2  3  4

sbs

Post Tue, Jan 30 2024, 12:27 pm
bumpkin2 wrote:
No one is pushing for medication. We asked if we should just put him on it but were recommended against it both by neurologist and school. He is too young to be thrown on medication unless he truly needs it. He isn't disruptive or violent in school, he just likes to be on the go. The destructive behavior is at home. My husband found a therapist that works with parents in this situation we may try her for insight.

You're lucky that he's better behaved in school and the school is not forcing medication on you.
Hope this person can help you at home. You might also decide to go the BCBA route at home, and have a BCBA that you pay privately just to provide parent training to help you set up a structure and system for his challenging behaviors at home. The benefit of that is that they'll come to your home so when they're making suggestions for a behavior mod plan, they actually see the whole picture and all the dynamics and can really fine tune things.

mha3484

Post Tue, Jan 30 2024, 12:38 pm
bumpkin2 wrote:
No one is pushing for medication. We asked if we should just put him on it but were recommended against it both by neurologist and school. He is too young to be thrown on medication unless he truly needs it. He isn't disruptive or violent in school, he just likes to be on the go. The destructive behavior is at home. My husband found a therapist that works with parents in this situation we may try her for insight.

I medicated my youngest son when he was 6 and a few months, in pre1a and it was the best thing I ever did for him. I waited until the spring until after second teacher conferences but I should have done it earlier in the school year looking back.

His progress report from pre1a was the biggest nosedive I ever saw and I have other kids with ADHD. He was all nachas in nursery and then pre1a hit and he got gimmels. It was not good. It turned him into the best version of himself.

amother
Moccasin

Post Tue, Jan 30 2024, 4:39 pm
amother Moonstone wrote:
What kind of medication did he go on ?
( having a similar situation with my son...)

My child was diagnosed with depression so was put on an SSRI ( think zoloft, Prozac, etc).

risgla

Post Wed, Jan 31 2024, 10:27 am
amother Bronze wrote:
My 6 year old daughter is not out of control, but had daily toddler style temper tantrums in addition to being a challenging kid.

We recently took her for an OT evaluation. They told me she retained some of her primary reflexes (think infant reflexes that are supposed to "go away") and it was affecting her. We had 8 OT sessions with daily exercises. I won't say she's totally calm and never has melt downs, but she has them less often and less intense. She is able to verbalize more what she wants instead of just yelling and crying and us having no clue what she wants.

I'm not saying this is what your son has, but it may be worthwhile to look into. MNRI, retained reflexes, are the types of Google searches I'd suggest.

Can you tell me who the OT was that helped you? I will post with my user name so you can pm me.....
Thanks!

amother
Kiwi

Post Thu, Feb 01 2024, 4:33 pm
I want to say something that will sound strange but is coming from a place of research and personal experience with my 4.5 yr old son and my brother before him.

I notice that these posts describe the children as "brilliant" and "very bright". Our community is not very knowledgeable about giftedness. MOST gifted children are diagnosed with something else as well such as ADHD anxiety ocd depression. Intellectual giftedness is not even the main characteristic of giftedness; equally telling would be certain character traits such as: extreme persistence, extreme curiosity, extreme sense of justice, extreme resistance to authority etc.

My son is like those described: physically aggressive all day with no controls. He does much better when I set up a schedule of intellectually stimulating activities.

I am doing my best to avoid having him branded as a bad boy. If he retains his desire for yiddishkeit I know I may one day be pleasantly surprised. My brother who was like this as well and also very defiant made a siyum on mishnayos in honor of his 12th birthday.

amother
Offwhite

Post Thu, Feb 01 2024, 11:06 pm
amother Kiwi wrote:
I want to say something that will sound strange but is coming from a place of research and personal experience with my 4.5 yr old son and my brother before him.

I notice that these posts describe the children as "brilliant" and "very bright". Our community is not very knowledgeable about giftedness. MOST gifted children are diagnosed with something else as well such as ADHD anxiety ocd depression. Intellectual giftedness is not even the main characteristic of giftedness; equally telling would be certain character traits such as: extreme persistence, extreme curiosity, extreme sense of justice, extreme resistance to authority etc.

My son is like those described: physically aggressive all day with no controls. He does much better when I set up a schedule of intellectually stimulating activities.

I am doing my best to avoid having him branded as a bad boy. If he retains his desire for yiddishkeit I know I may one day be pleasantly surprised. My brother who was like this as well and also very defiant made a siyum on mishnayos in honor of his 12th birthday.

Wow, thank you for opening this perspective

amother
RosePink

Post Thu, Feb 01 2024, 11:10 pm
amother Kiwi wrote:

There is a concept of 2E and there is a concept of just gifted. But it's incorrect to state that MOST gifted kids have other issues. I point out the smart concept often on here. I also had my gifted kids tested and they were not diagnosed with anything. There is a concept of it just being rough for a gifted child to navigate childhood. We don't have to create issues where there are none.
Page 4 of 4 Previous  1  2  3  4 Recent Topics