Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children -> School age children
Monsey schools - getting in and asking for tuition breaks
1  2  3  Next

amother
OP

Post Sun, Jun 04 2023, 10:35 am
I'm considering a move and I've heard it's really difficult to get into chassidish schools there.

I'm concerned that the fact that I will need to ask for tuition breaks will affect their decision.

Any advice?

amother
Clematis

Post Thu, Jun 15 2023, 2:18 pm
Only ask for tuition break once you're in.

amother
Daffodil

Post Thu, Jun 15 2023, 4:54 pm
amother OP wrote:
I'm considering a move and I've heard it's really difficult to get into chassidish schools there.

I'm concerned that the fact that I will need to ask for tuition breaks will affect their decision.

Any advice?

Most decent schools you can only get into with a down payment of 20k-50k. And asking for a tuition break is nearly impossible

Highstrung

Post Thu, Jun 15 2023, 5:05 pm
amother Daffodil wrote:
Most decent schools you can only get into with a down payment of 20k-50k. And asking for a tuition break is nearly impossible

I wouldn’t consider it a decent school if they demand down payments . I’d seek out a school that is not so elitist .

amother
Daffodil

Post Thu, Jun 15 2023, 5:08 pm
Highstrung wrote:
I wouldn’t consider it a decent school if they demand down payments . I’d seek out a school that is not so elitist .

Are you from monsey? Doesn’t seem like it. This is how it goes cause of the demand

amother
Stoneblue

Post Thu, Jun 15 2023, 5:44 pm
amother Daffodil wrote:
Are you from monsey? Doesn’t seem like it. This is how it goes cause of the demand

I'm from Monsey and this is NOT how it goes by the mainstream schools. Schools ask for registration money, usually $250-$500. Some people that are desperate to get in to a certain school, offer lot's of money for the school to accept them.

amother
Daffodil

Post Thu, Jun 15 2023, 5:49 pm
amother Stoneblue wrote:
I'm from Monsey and this is NOT how it goes by the mainstream schools. Schools ask for registration money, usually $250-$500. Some people that are desperate to get in to a certain school, offer lot's of money for the school to accept them.

What are mainstream schools in monsey? There are barely and yes most ask for money in an indirect way

amother
NeonPink

Post Thu, Jun 15 2023, 6:12 pm
amother Daffodil wrote:

I’ve never heard of such a mishugas.
And I have kids in excellent Monsey schools

amother
Daffodil

Post Thu, Jun 15 2023, 6:13 pm
amother NeonPink wrote:

It’s a newer thing and got worse last two years

Highstrung

Post Thu, Jun 15 2023, 6:18 pm
amother Daffodil wrote:

I live in Monsey over 2 decades . Believe me . The more arrogant the hanahala is with non acceptance the less decent the school , even if it has a good “name”. I’ve had quite enough experience to see it and live it. In both the Chasidish and non Chasidish schools .And using this down payment ploy is disgusting.

Last edited by Highstrung on Thu, Jun 15 2023, 6:20 pm; edited 1 time in total

amother
Amaryllis

Post Thu, Jun 15 2023, 6:20 pm
if your a nice normal family behave according to the school standards you shouldn't have an issue

but if your applying to a school thats more frum then you or your husband looks then yes you will have a hard time

sunshoweryay

Post Fri, Jun 16 2023, 11:14 am
amother NeonPink wrote:
I worked on getting my kids into school in Monsey (and I grew up here ) for 3 years!!!
It’s impossible to get into schools if you don’t “belong” and even then it’s really hard
When did you put it kids into school?

sunshoweryay

Post Fri, Jun 16 2023, 11:15 am
amother Amaryllis wrote:
if your a nice normal family behave according to the school standards you shouldn't have an issue

but if your applying to a school thats more frum then you or your husband looks then yes you will have a hard time

I wish this is true!!!

amother
Blonde

Post Fri, Jun 16 2023, 2:05 pm
[quote="amother Daffodil"]It’s a newer thing and got worse last two years[/quote

Yes if you didn't get your kids into schools within the last 2-3 years you have no idea...

amother
Mauve

Post Fri, Jun 16 2023, 2:29 pm
[quote="amother Blonde"]
amother Daffodil wrote:
It’s a newer thing and got worse last two years[/quote

Yes if you didn't get your kids into schools within the last 2-3 years you have no idea...

I’m in this time frame.
I did NOT have this issue at all.
(Litvish)

amother
Stoneblue

Post Fri, Jun 16 2023, 2:32 pm
[quote="amother Blonde"]
amother Daffodil wrote:

I did. And no school asked for money. I don't know anyone that was asked for money when applying to schools.
I know that people offer money.

amother
Pistachio

Post Fri, Jun 16 2023, 3:29 pm
How are most regular hardworking families even able to come up with such huge down payments?
Something doesn’t add up.

amother
Poppy

Post Fri, Jun 16 2023, 3:42 pm
[quote="amother Stoneblue"]I did. And no school asked for money. I don't know anyone that was asked for money when applying to schools.
I know that people offer money.[
I was told from inner ppl that Monsey will help me get in
And my son someone gave the money for us
It was really hard!!!

Highstrung

Post Fri, Jun 16 2023, 4:18 pm
[quote="amother Blonde"]
amother Daffodil wrote:

I did . It was the first time in our lives that we got accepted immediately and not only that , we got accepted to more than one school. Part of the reason was because after so much experience I’ve learned that I need to apply EVERYWHERE including places that don’t seem to be the perfect fit for us. Places that were more to the left of what we are used to. I finally learned to be machniya myself and not expect to get into the schools that have a good name.
Nobody asked me for a dime. I actually got a tuition break when I asked.
There is nothing like sending your child to a school where you know she is cherished and loved for who she is compared to sending your child to a school where you had to cry and beg and cry and beg the next year again and get half of Monsey askanim involved . Never once did I have a good taste in my mouth about those schools that accepted us finally after tons of pressure. In all those schools that we were accepted this way , my child ended up not doing as well and that “amazing” school was not amazing . The schools that took my children without the run around and shtick, those were the schools where my kids did well. I had to learn the hard way. I had to go through so much pain and rejection to finally know , what I think is good for my child is not necessarily what HaShem thinks is good for my child. I’ve sent to boys and girls schools of all types and stripes . When I see a school expecting down payments or torturing parents with the way they accept people , I know those schools no longer serve me.
It’s sad what’s it’s come to.

amother
Crimson

Post Fri, Jun 16 2023, 4:44 pm
I didn’t have to pay a dime either. Apply to schools where you really fit in and if they have room they will accept you, those who have a hard time are applying to schools where they think they belong but actually dont. Or they are for real busting at their seams and can’t fit you in. Well said, Highstrung!
Op, if you want to explain your family type and which schools you are coming from we can give you suggestions.
Page 1 of 3 1  2  3  Next Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Parenting our children -> School age children