Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Children's Health
Failure to Thrive - Newborn
  Previous  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9  Next

amother
Cornsilk

Post Tue, Jun 27 2023, 7:45 pm
small bean wrote:
I intended to update but life got busy.

I took him to an ENT and he said, no tounge tie and no other issues in his mouth.

I took him to a GI on Thursday, who said she believes it's allergies to my milk even though it is not coming up in the typical ways, just an absorption issue. She put him on elecare at 24 (normal is 20 calories) calories an ounce. She told me to go off, dairy and soy and pump for a week to wash my milk out and then come back. He's gained close to a pound in almost a week on elecare. Going back on Thursday, will hopefully update after.

Allergies are the worst! If you want, I can PM you info about a WhatsApp group of mother's dealing with allergies. It's nice having people to guide you.

Ema of 5

Post Tue, Jun 27 2023, 8:01 pm
small bean wrote:
I intended to update but life got busy.

I took him to an ENT and he said, no tounge tie and no other issues in his mouth.

I took him to a GI on Thursday, who said she believes it's allergies to my milk even though it is not coming up in the typical ways, just an absorption issue. She put him on elecare at 24 (normal is 20 calories) calories an ounce. She told me to go off, dairy and soy and pump for a week to wash my milk out and then come back. He's gained close to a pound in almost a week on elecare. Going back on Thursday, will hopefully update after.

Wow!! BH you are getting to the bottom of it!! And BH he has gained nicely since starting the elecare. May it all continue on the upstreak!!

amother
Brass

Post Tue, Jun 27 2023, 10:07 pm
I know lots of people won’t want to hear this but when I had a baby with failure to thrive, putting the baby on a special formula literally saved his life. I am a big believer in formula after that experience. I’m not saying not to try nursing but if it’s not working out- find the right formula! It can save your child’s life!
BH your baby already gained a pound!
I had a completely different child in my arms 3 weeks after finding the right formula.
People fight to nurse- fight against formula… but look how much it helped in just a few days!
IyH in another few weeks your baby will be all caught up in weight.
I feel so frustrated that the pediatrician pushed this off when you were there a few weeks ago…

small bean

Post Wed, Jun 28 2023, 7:55 am
amother Brass wrote:
I know lots of people won’t want to hear this but when I had a baby with failure to thrive, putting the baby on a special formula literally saved his life. I am a big believer in formula after that experience. I’m not saying not to try nursing but if it’s not working out- find the right formula! It can save your child’s life!
BH your baby already gained a pound!
I had a completely different child in my arms 3 weeks after finding the right formula.
People fight to nurse- fight against formula… but look how much it helped in just a few days!
IyH in another few weeks your baby will be all caught up in weight.
I feel so frustrated that the pediatrician pushed this off when you were there a few weeks ago…

The GI actually prefers he nurse even if his weight gain is slower. She says in the long run it is better for the baby. She is pushing me to do eliimimation diet over just giving formula.

She also wasn't panicked about his lack of weight gain because he is very strong and meeting all milestones. She definitely didn't think it was negligence on anyone's part that we were not worried sooner.

About my doctor, he suggested at 2 weeks to supplement with elecare so that I don't have to figure out which formulas are good for him, which we did but he actually did not gain anything then.

ETA there are times when formula is the better choice, and I has a kid like that. I'm not anti formula, I'm just repeating what she said. Last week she said, we are going to do a week of just my milk. But I'll update Thursday exactly what we're doing. IyH

gibberish

Post Wed, Jun 28 2023, 8:41 pm
Thanks for the update. I'm so happy that your baby is starting to gain and you have a doctor working with you. Boruch Hashem!

small bean

Post Thu, Jun 29 2023, 5:16 pm
Ok update for today.

He gained 10% of his body weight in a week. More than double what ideal weight gain would be.

She said, I should go back to nursing snd supplementing at home as I was doing before. Checking his weight daily at the same time everyday and making sure he's gaining minimum of 1/2 oz a day. She said he may start being fussy after my milk because I stopped it and started it again. If there are any allergens in there, he may have symptoms now. She said to come back in 4 weeks.

amother
Brass

Post Fri, Jul 21 2023, 4:55 am
How is your baby doing? How much does he weigh now?

small bean

Post Sun, Jul 30 2023, 9:36 am
Update: my baby is gaining nicely now thru nursing. I'm off wheat, eggs, dairy and soy. It seems altering my diet was all that was needed.

small bean

Post Sun, Jul 30 2023, 9:37 am
amother Brass wrote:
How is your baby doing? How much does he weigh now?

11lbs 3 Oz. He is 4.5 months. Small but not tiny.

Ema of 5

Post Sun, Jul 30 2023, 9:56 am
small bean wrote:
11lbs 3 Oz. He is 4.5 months. Small but not tiny.

Wow!! Baruch Hashem!! My baby is almost 9m and he is a little over 15lbs. Still trying to figure him out….

small bean

Post Sun, Jul 30 2023, 10:16 am
Ema of 5 wrote:
Wow!! Baruch Hashem!! My baby is almost 9m and he is a little over 15lbs. Still trying to figure him out….

Is he still spitting up constantly?

That's also really tiny.

amother
SandyBrown

Post Sun, Jul 30 2023, 10:27 am
small bean wrote:
Is he still spitting up constantly?

That's also really tiny.

That isn’t so small. Depends what the birthweight was. Babies are supposed to triple their birthweight by one year, if he was 5 pounds he did that already.

Ema of 5

Post Sun, Jul 30 2023, 10:48 am
amother SandyBrown wrote:
That isn’t so small. Depends what the birthweight was. Babies are supposed to triple their birthweight by one year, if he was 5 pounds he did that already.

He was 6lb 10oz.
Baruch Hashem he’s not throwing up anymore. I switched formulas. Now instead of materna, he is taking proamino. Also instead of oatmeal, I’m adding gelmix thickener.
He is being seen by a GI and by an ENT. So har he’s had a swallow study and an upper GI series done. My biggest fear/concern is that he will end up with some sort of food aversion. He’s not eating solids yet, but I’m hoping to start again in the next couple of weeks. We started when he was 7m, but stopped shortly after because he started throwing up again.

small bean

Post Sun, Jul 30 2023, 1:08 pm
Ema of 5 wrote:
He was 6lb 10oz.
Baruch Hashem he’s not throwing up anymore. I switched formulas. Now instead of materna, he is taking proamino. Also instead of oatmeal, I’m adding gelmix thickener.
He is being seen by a GI and by an ENT. So har he’s had a swallow study and an upper GI series done. My biggest fear/concern is that he will end up with some sort of food aversion. He’s not eating solids yet, but I’m hoping to start again in the next couple of weeks. We started when he was 7m, but stopped shortly after because he started throwing up again.

My son who was on formula only till about 15 months, due to allergies is now my best eater at 13. He's not picky at all. Interestingly my son after him is 12 and very picky and doesn't taste anything. I wonder if there's a correlation, all the time

small bean

Post Thu, Oct 05 2023, 8:39 pm
Just updating. My baby now weighs 14lbs. (He's 6.5 months) and eating sme solid foods. He's doing great BH.

Rubber Ducky

Post Thu, Oct 05 2023, 8:53 pm
Thanks for the update. Glad to hear he's doing so well!

amother
SandyBrown

Post Thu, Oct 05 2023, 8:58 pm
Wow! Baruch HaShem, so good to hear! Sounds like a real chunky monkey! My failure to thrive was a little bit bigger at a year!

Ema of 5

Post Thu, Oct 05 2023, 9:04 pm
small bean wrote:
Just updating. My baby now weighs 14lbs. (He's 6.5 months) and eating sme solid foods. He's doing great BH.

Baruch Hashem!!! My baby is 17lbs (11 months on simchas torah) and also eating some solids.

amother
Bergamot

Post Thu, Oct 05 2023, 9:28 pm
small bean wrote:
How do I find soneone to check for a tounge tie?

I ordered the kit to have my milk tested - hope to do that this week.

Can you link it? I'm curious about my milk and didn't know you could do that.

small bean

Post Thu, Oct 05 2023, 11:17 pm
Ema of 5 wrote:
Baruch Hashem!!! My baby is 17lbs (11 months on simchas torah) and also eating some solids.

Yay! I'm so happy he's doing solids even if it's just a bit.
Page 8 of 9   Previous  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9  Next Recent Topics