Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Children's Health
Failure to Thrive - Newborn
  Previous  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9

small bean

Post Thu, Oct 05 2023, 11:18 pm
amother Bergamot wrote:
Can you link it? I'm curious about my milk and didn't know you could do that.

Lactation labs. You can buy a kit on Amazon.

GLUE

Post Fri, Oct 06 2023, 12:57 am
Thank you small bean and Ema of 5 for updating us about your babies.

Ema of 5

Post Fri, Oct 06 2023, 7:19 am
small bean wrote:
Yay! I'm so happy he's doing solids even if it's just a bit.

Exactly :-)

amother
Firethorn

Post Fri, Oct 06 2023, 9:11 am
Ema of 5 wrote:
My baby is 7m. BH we ruled out pyloric stenosis and any physical issues. He has super duper, heavy duty, hard core reflux. I just want to point out that we wouldn’t have gotten here without the GI. My ped, at 4m, told me to start solids, which my baby absolutely refused. First he told me not to add oatmeal to his bottles, and then he told me to add oatmeal but didn’t tell me to increase the amount of formula. He also had him on a very low dose of Pepcid. The GI sent us immediately (like within a day or two of our initial appointment) for an ultrasound to rule out pyloric stenosis. Last Friday we went for an upper gi series to see if there were any issues there. BH it was negative. So now we are trying solids again, and his bottle have 5oz water, 6 scoops of formula, and 5 tsp of baby oatmeal. We go through a container of formula every 1 1/2- 2 days. He said I don’t need to switch him to a sensitive formula because it’s not a stomach issue, so it likely won’t make a difference. He will also be getting feeding therapy, hopefully starting in the next few weeks.

Do you use the formula for reflux ? All my babies have silent reflux ( one had not silent) and the formula helped wonders . Some
Also needed reflux meds but I was able to avoid it with others . Enfamil ar is already thickens you won’t need to add anything to it

Nevermind didn’t realize thsi was an old post !! My reflux babies were also congested and all ended up needing adenoids removed . I had one who did not eat well till I did that I believe she could not breathe well while eating so she just didn’t. But I also am a speech therapist and did some feeding therapy on my own , which helped a bit. I just needed to make it to an age where they could take out adenoids .

Ema of 5

Post Fri, Oct 06 2023, 10:27 am
amother Firethorn wrote:
Do you use the formula for reflux ? All my babies have silent reflux ( one had not silent) and the formula helped wonders . Some
Also needed reflux meds but I was able to avoid it with others . Enfamil ar is already thickens you won’t need to add anything to it

Nevermind didn’t realize thsi was an old post !! My reflux babies were also congested and all ended up needing adenoids removed . I had one who did not eat well till I did that I believe she could not breathe well while eating so she just didn’t. But I also am a speech therapist and did some feeding therapy on my own , which helped a bit. I just needed to make it to an age where they could take out adenoids .

I’ll answer anyway :-)
I don’t know what “use the formula for reflux” means. I use formula because he wasn’t nursing well and wasn’t gaining. He is on meds, but lately I’ve been forgetting to give it to him. BH since about (I think) may/June he hasn’t thrown up. I was using materna, but I couldn’t find it on pesach, and after pesach I was able to find it but it took some work. The first time I tried solids with him he wasn’t interested. He got mad at me for trying- like seriously turned red in the face! When I tried again, he was doing well for about a week and then started throwing up again. At that point, on the GI’s recommendation, I stopped solids and also switched him to a hypoallergenic formula. I started solids again at about 9m, and BH this time he’s doing well. He doesn’t like jars, only real food, so that’s what he eats! He’s had chicken, challah (he only likes my mother in laws!) zucchini, banana, mango, strawberries, grapes, oat yogurt (staying off dairy until he’s a year) and lots of other yummy stuff. He gets feeding therapy through EI 2x/30 per week.
He has a cough from the reflux (that didn’t change with the meds) but he’s not congested. I assume if there was an adenoid issue the GI would have noticed? Or maybe not. How did you come to that conclusion? He has had a scope in his nose (forgot what that’s called) and an upper gi series and a swallow study. Really trying to avoid anything more invasive, because he’s so young and small.
Page 9 of 9   Previous  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9 Recent Topics