Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> New York related Inquiries
Smoke in monsey (and all over NY/NJ) and smell of fire
  Previous  1  2  3 24  25  26 29  30  31  Next

PinkFridge

Post Thu, Jun 08 2023, 9:39 am
I am amazed that this is 24 pages already! And while I'm profoundly sympathetic to all who are impacted, however far south and west you are, what did I miss on pp. 2-23?

amother
Stoneblue

Post Thu, Jun 08 2023, 9:39 am
amother Jade wrote:
Is it your position that forest fires are better??

Do you think Canada doesn't cut down trees?

amother
Mintgreen

Post Thu, Jun 08 2023, 9:40 am
amother Jade wrote:
Is it your position that forest fires are better??

It's hard for me to even contemplate getting into a discussion with you about this, bec. your questions seem to come from a place of ignorance. Deforestation majorly contributes to climate change in the first place.

amother
OP

PinkFridge wrote:
I am amazed that this is 24 pages already! And while I'm profoundly sympathetic to all who are impacted, however far south and west you are, what did I miss on pp. 2-23?

Just discussing the situation as we’re living it. This is live TV! Very Happy

amother
Clover

PinkFridge wrote:

While I can't smell smoke here, air quality is already poor in Cleveland

amother
Broom

amother Orchid wrote:
The weather over the past 30 days has nothing to do with climate change.

That may be, but the way I understand it, forest fires are caused by drier and hotter conditions than normal. Was that the case in Canada over the past month?

Java

PinkFridge wrote:

With any imamother thread that lasts this long you can be pretty sure that you got everything you needed to know from the first page

dankbar

Post Thu, Jun 08 2023, 9:43 am
School is rescheduling trip to zoo because zoo is closes today

amother
Jade

Post Thu, Jun 08 2023, 9:45 am
amother Mintgreen wrote:
It's hard for me to even contemplate getting into a discussion with you about this, bec. your questions seem to come from a place of ignorance. Deforestation majority contributes to climate change in the first place.

This is incorrect. Also, it is possible to state your point without personal attacks. The attacks don't strengthen your point.

amother
Jade

Post Thu, Jun 08 2023, 9:47 am
amother Stoneblue wrote:
Do you think Canada doesn't cut down trees?

I'm not familiar with Canada's laws. My comment was in agreement with Lymnok's and is true of the western US.

amother
Tuberose

Post Thu, Jun 08 2023, 9:48 am
I live in Montreal, I wouldn’t have known about this wildfire if I wouldn’t of come on on imamother, no smoke no smell of fire and no orange Color here, everything is normal here

amother
OP

Post Thu, Jun 08 2023, 9:48 am
dankbar wrote:
School is rescheduling trip to zoo because zoo is closes today

I’m sure they’d cancel any outdoor trip.

amother
OP

Post Thu, Jun 08 2023, 9:49 am
I really hope the air will be clear once school is over. Can you imagine this situation in July and August when kids are always outside even in daycamp and camp?

amother
Stoneblue

Post Thu, Jun 08 2023, 9:49 am
amother Jade wrote:
I'm not familiar with Canada's laws. My comment was in agreement with Lymnok's and is true of the western US.

But we're talking about a forest fire in Quebec.

amother
OP

Post Thu, Jun 08 2023, 9:50 am
amother Tuberose wrote:
I live in Montreal, I wouldn’t have known about this wildfire if I wouldn’t of come on on imamother, no smoke no smell of fire and no orange Color here, everything is normal here

The orange color was only a short while yesterday. I wonder if it will come back. It was very spooky.

NotInNJMommy

Post Thu, Jun 08 2023, 9:52 am
amother OP wrote:
I really hope the air will be clear once school is over. Can you imagine this situation in July and August when kids are always outside even in daycamp and camp?

If there are air quality alerts like this, kids and staffers shouldn't be going outside for daycamp/camp. Parents and staff should not be willing to have activities outdoors if that's what's going on.

If your camps/daycamps aren't paying attention, then make them---demand that who you are trusting with your children is keeping them safe and if you're an employee of these camps/daycamps, demand that your employer is keeping you safe. We don't have to be victims.

(iyh yes, this will have waned by the end of the month)

amother
Snowdrop

Post Thu, Jun 08 2023, 9:53 am
I'm still seeing an orange tinge when I look at a white house across my window.

amother
Tuberose

Post Thu, Jun 08 2023, 9:55 am
amother OP wrote:
The orange color was only a short while yesterday. I wonder if it will come back. It was very spooky.

Did not see it

NotInNJMommy

Post Thu, Jun 08 2023, 9:55 am
amother Snowdrop wrote:
I'm still seeing an orange tinge when I look at a white house across my window.

This is not going to be an overnight, flip the switch type of thing. Wildfires don't work like this, and weather patterns don't either.

Also, keep in mind even the best tools for weather forecasting have remotely acceptable predictions within 48-72 hours at best---and sometimes the mechanisms are more complex and 24-36 hours might be as good as it gets. So, when the air quality alerts keep getting extended, this is in part why. ie. It is not statistically sure enough it will be a problem beyond a certain time, and rather than panic people or be over conservative such that people stop planning to live for weeks at a time, they do not make the call until the statistics are more certain. Yes, it means you have to keep checking and the situation is dynamic....but weather IS dynamic so....

Last edited by NotInNJMommy on Thu, Jun 08 2023, 9:58 am; edited 1 time in total

amother
OP

Post Thu, Jun 08 2023, 9:56 am
NotInNJMommy wrote:
If there are air quality alerts like this, kids and staffers shouldn't be going outside for daycamp/camp. Parents and staff should not be willing to have activities outdoors if that's what's going on.

If your camps/daycamps aren't paying attention, then make them---demand that who you are trusting with your children is keeping them safe and if you're an employee of these camps/daycamps, demand that your employer is keeping you safe. We don't have to be victims.

(iyh yes, this will have waned by the end of the month)

Of course not! I don’t think anybody would even want to. My point is that the kids will lose out a lot if it would be that timing. As long as there’s school we can still try to imagine that it’s winter out.
Hoping it will clear up way sooner than that but we can’t know for sure!
Page 25 of 31   Previous  1  2  3 24  25  26 29  30  31  Next Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> New York related Inquiries