Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Working Women
Dental Hygienist? Ultrasound?

amother
OP

Post Wed, Jun 07 2023, 11:03 am
My daughter is considering her career options. Among a few that we discussed were dental hygiene and sonography.
I'm looking for opinions about either one.
She is interested in allied health, has very good science and people schools, and doesn't want to be a nurse, PA, etc. She also doesn't want to go to a long drawn out Graduate program.
These 2 careers seem like they may be good fits and she is planning on doing some shadowing.

Looking for general feedback about whether you would recommend or not.

Thank you.

613mitzvahgirl

Post Wed, Jun 07 2023, 11:31 am
I would recommend sonography Bc this way you’re helping the person out. And with a hygienist you’re in someone’s mouthes all day.. the germs fly there a ton and with sonograms you’re not that much exposed..

amother
OP

Post Wed, Jun 07 2023, 6:51 pm
Thank you. Anyone else?

rmbg

Post Wed, Jun 07 2023, 7:06 pm
Sonogrophers often have a time finding jobs that don’t require shabbos shifts. Keep that in mind

chocolate moose

Post Wed, Jun 07 2023, 7:22 pm
Sonographers are not in demand and have not been in quite some time. Schooling for a RDH is very very hard. I flunked out but DD got through - via a pricey private school. It's very hard and very competative. You can message me here if you want more info.

amother
Latte

Post Wed, Jun 07 2023, 9:29 pm
Dental hygienists may have the opportunity to make more money. High end private practices pay very well. While sonographers often work for hospitals.

amother
Maple

Post Wed, Jun 07 2023, 9:30 pm
I believe dental hygienists have a very high burnout rate…

amother
Silver

Post Wed, Jun 07 2023, 10:03 pm
As a dental hygienist, there are so many options (pedo, general, ortho, endo, perio). Once you find your niche, you’ll never look back! BH I’ve found mine in pedo and get so much joy and fulfillment from it. A satisfying and enjoyable career choice IMO.

amother
Phlox

Post Wed, Jun 07 2023, 10:09 pm
I thought about a both. I ended up gng to Ultrasound school. Super expensive school. Never passed the registry test, as well finding a job with hours, location, amount.... Was hard to find so at this point it doesn't work for me. I wish would've known all of that before I went to school. I did enjoy learning about everything and I now have that education but for me personally it didn't work out.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics