Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Pregnancy & Childbirth -> Baby Names
Baby girl names Av-related
1  2  3  4  Next

amother
OP

Post Thu, Jun 08 2023, 4:24 am
I'm very excited about the fact that I'm having a girl bez"H!

I really wanted a boy and both DH and I had a strong feeling that it was a boy, so we were shocked to find out it was a girl. But now I'm getting excited about girl names.

Had it been a boy, we pretty much knew what we would name him, but since it's a girl we're open to all options. Both of us lost our remaining grandmothers since our last DD was born, but they both had uncommon Yiddish names that we don't want to use. Neither of us particularly like the Hebrew versions of those names either, and it won't please our parents anyway, so we don't need to name specifically after them.

We'd love to honor their memories, and also I'm due right after Tisha B'av, so something geula/nechama oriented would be nice.

I'm not a huge fan of the name Nechama.

We're American olim in a litvish chareidi community.

All name suggestions welcome!

amother
Lotus

Post Thu, Jun 08 2023, 4:44 am
Elisheva
Tova
Liora
Adina
Batya
Shalva
Tehila
Ahuva
Yaffa
Geula
Shulamis
Avigail
Gila
Rina
Malka

amother
IndianRed

Post Thu, Jun 08 2023, 4:49 am
Rochel - Kol berama....Rachel Mevaka....
I know a Nechama Rachel born in Av
Also a Gila

amother
Lotus

Post Thu, Jun 08 2023, 4:53 am
Liba
Ruchama
Shoshana
Tikvah

amother
OP

Post Thu, Jun 08 2023, 5:19 am
Thanks for these suggestions!

I like a lot of them, great starting point for conversations with DH. He just wants to wait and see if there's anything in the pasha or haftara around when she's born that speaks to us, but I want to have a list of ideas just in case.

Here's my list of hakpados:

No yiddish (not common in our community)
    No saf/taf (too confusing between their Israeli friends and American relatives)
    No Hebrew names that are not common in Israeli chareidi circles (I.e. Shalva)
    But also not super-common (DD has 5 Avigails in her class of 30!)
    Also once I'm choosing a random name, I really would love one that doesn't yet exist in my immediate family - siblings and nieces. I have a huge family though, and most of the suggestions here are already taken!

Ruchama happens to be a family name but I hate it. No one in our immediate family used it, but we have first cousins with the name. Any ideas of names that meet my requirements that can go with it to make it a second name?

amother
OP

Post Thu, Jun 08 2023, 5:22 am
What does Elisheva mean? I think it's the only suggestion here that meets all my requirements!

What do people think of when they hear Naama? Also do you pronounce it NAama or NaaMA? (Another annoying US-Israel difference!)

amother
Holly

Post Thu, Jun 08 2023, 5:24 am
Ruchoma is in the haftara of parshas nachamu.
Naama in Israel is NaaMa but not connected to Av.

LovesHashem

Post Thu, Jun 08 2023, 5:32 am
I loveeee Naama. It's really not so common in chareidi circles but it would be acceptable.

Too bad my dh doesn't like it.

Is it so bad to have names that sounds different with Israelis and Americans? We have a saf/tag name and for example let's say shulamis/shulamit (not the name) and we spell it in English with a T at the end. That's how we spelled it even on American birth certificate and passport.

Rarely does someone call them Shulamis and when we do we just correct them.

I also have a name that sounds different in English and Hebrew and it's okay (not a saf/taf name) . It's life. I like the way it sounds both ways.

amother
OP

Post Thu, Jun 08 2023, 6:51 am
That's really interesting about Ruchama! Thank you for telling me that! Like I said, I really don't like it, but it would make some people very happy if we used it. It's going on my list as a second name.

Reason I thought of Naama is because I love it and it's similar to a Hebrew version of the grandmother's Yiddish names.

I don't think it's so uncommon in Israel - both my DDs have a classmate with that name.

It's not terrible if the names are pronounced differently, but I don't want it to be glaring. Some of my kids have names that are pronounced differently here (think DOvid vs DaVEED) but in my head the taf/saf is a major difference in how the name sounds, and in the community we come from in the US, most people use saf, so our relatives would comment and/or be confused.

amother
Dimgray

Post Thu, Jun 08 2023, 6:54 am
Ariella?
Ariel is one of the names of Yerushalayim.

Dunno if Tziona or Geula are too out there for you.

Iymnok

Post Thu, Jun 08 2023, 6:59 am
We just named our daughter Elisheva. I think DH wrote up 9 reasons and background of the name. If you pm me I’ll send it to you.
She was the wife of Aharon hakohen and the sister of Nachshon ben Aminadav.
Her kever is in Teveria. (Along with Tzippora, Avigail, Yocheved, Bilha and Zilpa)

amother
Lotus

Post Thu, Jun 08 2023, 7:32 am
amother OP wrote:
What does Elisheva mean? I think it's the only suggestion here that meets all my requirements!

What do people think of when they hear Naama? Also do you pronounce it NAama or NaaMA? (Another annoying US-Israel difference!)

Now I know why I couldn’t sleep here last night in the USA. I was tossing and turning and finally came on to imamother. I might have named someone’s child in Israel! 😊

LovesHashem

Post Thu, Jun 08 2023, 8:58 am
amother OP wrote:
That's really interesting about Ruchama! Thank you for telling me that! Like I said, I really don't like it, but it would make some people very happy if we used it. It's going on my list as a second name.

Reason I thought of Naama is because I love it and it's similar to a Hebrew version of the grandmother's Yiddish names.

I don't think it's so uncommon in Israel - both my DDs have a classmate with that name.

It's not terrible if the names are pronounced differently, but I don't want it to be glaring. Some of my kids have names that are pronounced differently here (think DOvid vs DaVEED) but in my head the taf/saf is a major difference in how the name sounds, and in the community we come from in the US, most people use saf, so our relatives would comment and/or be confused.

Yes they will comment and be confused. But after being corrected a few times they will get it and it will be a non issue.

amother
DarkPurple

Post Thu, Jun 08 2023, 9:00 am
amother OP wrote:

Taf and saf and Dovid really aren't so huge, not like my husband. Also I kind of like that here things are pronounced they way they are in loshon hakodesh.

My husband's name is Dovie which becomes Dubi in Hebrew. At this point he just started telling people his name Dov or Yisroel (his second name) because he really hates being called a teddy bear.

WhatFor

Post Thu, Jun 08 2023, 9:02 am
Shira
Ashira
Eliana
Technically Aviva has a similar sound to Av, but different meaning, if that works.
Ahava
Or Avital (not sure how common it is in Israeli Yeshivish but it's a name from tanach.)

To be fair, possibly most of these except Shira and Aviva are used more in DL circles but throwing the rest of them out there in case any of them are also used in yeshivish Israeli circles.

amother
Marigold

Post Thu, Jun 08 2023, 9:03 am
What about the obvious, Nechama?

dena613

Post Thu, Jun 08 2023, 10:19 am
amother OP wrote:
Thanks for these suggestions!

I like a lot of them, great starting point for conversations with DH. He just wants to wait and see if there's anything in the pasha or haftara around when she's born that speaks to us, but I want to have a list of ideas just in case.

Here's my list of hakpados:

No yiddish (not common in our community)
    No saf/taf (too confusing between their Israeli friends and American relatives)
    No Hebrew names that are not common in Israeli chareidi circles (I.e. Shalva)
    But also not super-common (DD has 5 Avigails in her class of 30!)
    Also once I'm choosing a random name, I really would love one that doesn't yet exist in my immediate family - siblings and nieces. I have a huge family though, and most of the suggestions here are already taken!

Ruchama happens to be a family name but I hate it. No one in our immediate family used it, but we have first cousins with the name. Any ideas of names that meet my requirements that can go with it to make it a second name?

You realize that your list of "hakpados" just basically nixed every name out there?

ImStrong

Post Thu, Jun 08 2023, 10:29 am
dena613 wrote:
You realize that your list of "hakpados" just basically nixed every name out there?

Thought of that as well... In the first post you wrote open to anything but later you made a list of requirements

But no judgement, it is your child and you are entitled to choose the name and make sure you like it.

I dont have any more suggestions but good luck!

amother
Amber

Post Thu, Jun 08 2023, 10:34 am
amother OP wrote:

I named my daughter Elisheva and I love the name. I’ve gotten plenty of compliments on it.

Elisheva means Hashem is my oath, or sworn to Hashem - something like that.

And if you’re looking for an Av connection, her husband Ahron was niftar on Rosh Chodesh Av.

amother
Lotus

Post Thu, Jun 08 2023, 10:44 am
Elisheva was the wife of Aharon hakohen.
I always thought it meant- Hashem swore but now I’m thinking it probably means sworn to Hashem.
Page 1 of 4 1  2  3  4  Next Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Pregnancy & Childbirth -> Baby Names