Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Chinuch, Education & Schooling
Homeschooling for English subjects

amother
OP

Post Sun, Jun 11 2023, 10:33 pm
I am contemplating pulling my boys out for secular subjects and doing a private teacher/homeschool. Has anyone ever done that and could give me advice. I’m in the tri state area

amother
Apricot

Post Mon, Jun 12 2023, 9:14 am
I would be interested to hear answers. We used an online program for math for our son, which was very good, but it was tricky b/c I didn't really want my kids to be using internet (unless I was close by).

amother
Cinnamon

Post Mon, Jun 12 2023, 10:05 am
No but I teach my boys myself. They are way ahead of grade level in reading, and have a nice amount of knowledge on other subjects depending on their level of interest. I decided if I was going to teach them myself I would do the unschooling model which is to allow them to learn organically. Bh I think even at this stage my older one is more than equipped for whatever future he chooses.

mushkamothers

Post Mon, Jun 12 2023, 10:28 am
How old are they? There's tons of homeschooling resources for secular subjects. There are lots of fb groups too. Do you know which method you'd want to do because that will help narrow it down

amother
OP

Post Mon, Jun 12 2023, 11:57 am
One is going in to first grade. The other ones are gonna be in 5th and 6th grade. They already know basic reading and math. But under their age level. I would consider hiring someone to help me as well.

mha3484

Post Mon, Jun 12 2023, 11:58 am
I have a 6th grade son who is usually super bored in English but I cant imagine him wanting to leave school after limudei kodesh. Are you considering taking them out early or supplementing after school?

amother
OP

Post Mon, Jun 12 2023, 12:00 pm
mha3484 wrote:
I have a 6th grade son who is usually super bored in English but I cant imagine him wanting to leave school after limudei kodesh. Are you considering taking them out early or supplementing after school?

Yes. The vibe is terrible and they all hate it. I don’t think they would have an issue with that

amother
Seashell

Post Mon, Jun 12 2023, 12:14 pm
The school might not be happy with it though.
My 8 yr old is home in the afternoons being homeschooled. I teach him myself but it was a mutual arrangement with the school.

amother
OP

Post Mon, Jun 12 2023, 1:08 pm
I’m trying to figure out the logistics and if it could work for me before I work it out with the school. Can you give me some pointers

amother
Seashell

Post Mon, Jun 12 2023, 1:45 pm
You have to be able to create a schedule and stick to it. There has to be accountability so that they are actually learning.
Apart from that, it isn't that complicated. Choose a curriculum that you feel you can teach and work through it. It helps if your kids are self motivated.

#BestBubby

Post Mon, Jun 12 2023, 2:07 pm
Easiest if they are strong readers.

Then they can teach themselves history and science, find interesting books.

Usborne, DK and Kingfisher have interesting encyclopedias for history and science with lots of pictures. You will have to censor evolution and details of xtianity.

Child's History of the World is a short summary of world history told in interesting story way.

Available on Amazon. You can be used for cheap.

Math mammoth is a popular homeschool curriculum written to the student. Horizons math workbooks also popular.

amother
Moonstone

Post Mon, Jun 12 2023, 2:32 pm
amother Seashell wrote:
The school might not be happy with it though.
My 8 yr old is home in the afternoons being homeschooled. I teach him myself but it was a mutual arrangement with the school.

Our school begged me to homeschool my son in the afternoons! LOL
I refused though stating that I'm not an educator and need to work
They were trying to get rid of him but couldn't really (only frum school in town)

amother
Lightyellow

Post Mon, Jun 12 2023, 2:40 pm
amother Moonstone wrote:
Our school begged me to homeschool my son in the afternoons! LOL
I refused though stating that I'm not an educator and need to work
They were trying to get rid of him but couldn't really (only frum school in town)

Just curious , why were they only trying for the afternoons and not mornings too?

amother
Wheat

Post Mon, Jun 12 2023, 2:57 pm
Used Khan Academy for my son since his school did not teach math at all:
https://www.khanacademy.org/

amother
Springgreen

Post Mon, Jun 12 2023, 3:05 pm
Brainquest workbooks are great and include worksheets for a complete curiculum

amother
Wine

Post Mon, Jun 12 2023, 3:43 pm
If your in Brooklyn there's ELC, which is a secular subjects school during reg English hours, all boys leave cheder for it.
She's really great.

amother
OP

Post Mon, Jun 12 2023, 6:12 pm
amother Wine wrote:
If your in Brooklyn there's ELC, which is a secular subjects school during reg English hours, all boys leave cheder for it.
She's really great.

Thanks everyone for your reply’s.
I’m not in Brooklyn but any more info on elc Maybe we could bring it to my area

chili-n-cholent

Post Mon, Jun 12 2023, 7:39 pm
amother OP wrote:
Thanks everyone for your reply’s.
I’m not in Brooklyn but any more info on elc Maybe we could bring it to my area

PM me for her contact info
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics