Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Relationships -> Giving Gifts
50th bday gift ideas
1  2  Next

amother
OP

Post Sun, Jun 11 2023, 11:33 pm
My mother had her 50th bday, we are a bit behind but trying to come up with a gift.

Budget max $1000. Less is better, we for sure have $500 but maybe my gran and aunt will chip in for more if it is really good.

My mother is BH doing comfortably these days. She doesn't need anything, and anything she really wants she buys or figures out a way to get.

Ideas we have brought up -

Ice cream maker - she has enough kitchen gadgets
Redoing her countertops - too expensive, and my father thinks she wouldn't want to redo just one part of her kitchen, if she was doing work she would want to do more
Buying her new couches - she just fixed the old ones, and we can't get new ones for what we have anyway
Jewelry - that should be my father's job alone
Robot vacuum - she just bought a new vacuum
Money to a vacation - my father didn't seem enthusiastic and he is more into that than she is

Note, we are planning a party with a video presentation and family get together as well.

For my father's 50th, we sent them to a motel overnight, then had dinner and gift like a snowblower and sefarim.

amother
Midnight

Post Sun, Jun 11 2023, 11:48 pm
If she cooks - maybe some high end gear (not a gadget).

amother
Valerian

Post Mon, Jun 12 2023, 12:10 am
I think a beautiful family picture or family tree type of thing
Or a painted portrait of your parents or family

dankbar

Post Mon, Jun 12 2023, 1:32 am
Names of all children and granchildren to have in mind by licht benchen on a glass. Its about $200

dankbar

Post Mon, Jun 12 2023, 1:32 am
A shabbton get together in a hotel with family

effess

Post Mon, Jun 12 2023, 2:52 am
You mentioned jewelry should be from your father.
But I think it’s ok if children buy their mother jewelry. I think it’s thoughtful and personal.

amother
Carnation

Post Mon, Jun 12 2023, 3:17 am
I have jewelry from my DDs. When my oldest DD went to pick jewelry after her bat mitzvah, she used some of her store credit to buy me a necklace. Her 10 yo sister went halfsies in with her. (The necklace was $22 dollars. It is a silver heart that says mom) They then hid it in their room for 3 months until my birthday. It is one of my most prized possessions.
I also have jewelry from my grandparents, parents, and in-laws.
I don’t know that jewelry is the correct gift for your mom at this time, but Jewelry can definitely be from children.

essie14

Post Mon, Jun 12 2023, 4:01 am
A sentimental piece of jewelry from her children would be a beautiful gift, if she likes jewelry. I don't agree that jewelry only has to come from her husband.

What about a new high end pot or set of pots if she likes to cook? I'm close to 50 and I would love a set of All Clad pots Very Happy

What about a food delivery service for lunches for a certain number of weeks?

amother
Blushpink

Post Mon, Jun 12 2023, 4:30 am
For my 50th, we went away for shabbos, and my kids had a great game. They collected birthday greetings from people I had known at different stages of life and I had to guess whose greetings was whose.

I think I'm like your mom - old enough and secure enough in my taste to buy myself the things I like. So an experience was better.

amother
Antiquewhite

Post Mon, Jun 12 2023, 6:09 am
dankbar wrote:
Names of all children and granchildren to have in mind by licht benchen on a glass. Its about $200

Can you please share links to what you're describing? It sounds beautiful.

amother
OP

Post Mon, Jun 12 2023, 8:57 pm
Weirdly, the link with updates to this thread didn't work so only seeing this now.

The glass thing sounds nice but BH at a stage now where this list gets added to very frequently so I don't think family will go for it. Everyone else nixed jewelry, and she likes her pots.

We may just go with gift cards.

Do you all think a upgrade on her next flight would be a nice gift? Like for extra legroom? No budget to pay for flights.

amother
Midnight

Post Mon, Jun 12 2023, 9:02 pm
amother OP wrote:
Weirdly, the link with updates to this thread didn't work so only seeing this now.

The glass thing sounds nice but BH at a stage now where this list gets added to very frequently so I don't think family will go for it. Everyone else nixed jewelry, and she likes her pots.

We may just go with gift cards.

Do you all think a upgrade on her next flight would be a nice gift? Like for extra legroom? No budget to pay for flights.

back to the kitchen stuff - it doesn't need to be pots... (if she's into cooking... there is a lot more).

and please don't give your mother gift cards.

amother
OP

Post Mon, Jun 12 2023, 9:03 pm
amother Midnight wrote:
back to the kitchen stuff - it doesn't need to be pots... (if she's into cooking... there is a lot more).

and please don't give your mother gift cards.

Lol... To kindle store so she can get herself books... To restaurant so she can go out to eat when she wants... To nail salon... Not cash.

watergirl

Post Mon, Jun 12 2023, 9:06 pm
essie14 wrote:
A sentimental piece of jewelry from her children would be a beautiful gift, if she likes jewelry. I don't agree that jewelry only has to come from her husband.

What about a new high end pot or set of pots if she likes to cook? I'm close to 50 and I would love a set of All Clad pots Very Happy

What about a food delivery service for lunches for a certain number of weeks?

Same thought re: jewelry.

I’d be really unhappy to receive a kitchen thing or a framed photo type thing. I prefer gifts that are specifically for me to enjoy, not a decoration or item for the house or a cooking thing.

Good Friend

Post Mon, Jun 12 2023, 9:11 pm
We just recently got my parents a family celebration board. Has the name in big on a board in a fancy font with a floral design, with all the months of the year written along the board. Hanging down are wooden circles with each child and grandchild's name and birthday, hung under the month of the person's birthday (also includes anniversaries of the marrieds). Some months have a long chain of circles hanging down, others have shorter. We bought it with a bunch of extra circles so as the family grows bezH we can hang on more circles. Definitely well within your budget, hopefully not too cheap (between $50-150)

mushkamothers

Post Mon, Jun 12 2023, 9:14 pm
Good Friend wrote:
We just recently got my parents a family celebration board. Has the name in big on a board in a fancy font with a floral design, with all the months of the year written along the board. Hanging down are wooden circles with each child and grandchild's name and birthday, hung under the month of the person's birthday (also includes anniversaries of the marrieds). Some months have a long chain of circles hanging down, others have shorter. We bought it with a bunch of extra circles so as the family grows bezH we can hang on more circles. Definitely well within your budget, hopefully not too cheap (between $50-150)

I made this, it was about $50. It'll cost more to buy probably but it's not like super expensive

How about a trip like to Ukraine, Poland, Israel, whatever like a women's group trip

sarahmalka

Post Mon, Jun 12 2023, 9:29 pm
Do not buy her an appliance! I would have hated that, like what, I'm supposed to be cooking even MORE for everyone else?? No way. Gift card to her favorite restaurant or spa is fine. Jewelry is fine. An experience, a getaway. Homemade cards from the grandkids/young children.

amother
Gladiolus

Post Mon, Jun 12 2023, 10:37 pm
Luxury linen

Designer bag

amother
Babypink

Post Mon, Jun 12 2023, 11:40 pm
amother OP wrote:

No, this does not sound like a good idea. I'd definitely try to come up with something else.

amother
Brass

Post Mon, Jun 12 2023, 11:48 pm
An evening bag
spa day
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics