Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children
Electric scooters-how safe are they?
1  2  Next

amother
OP

Post Mon, Jun 12 2023, 6:32 pm
Do your children have one? Do you feel they are safe for kids? What age would you let get one?

amother
Lavender

Post Mon, Jun 12 2023, 6:39 pm
My children don't have one, and I don't plan on ever getting one for them.
They are dangerous to ride on, and they have caused many electric fires.

octopus

Post Mon, Jun 12 2023, 6:45 pm
A teen on an electric scooter tried to pass me while I was driving past a double parked car. I mamash almost had a heart attack as I feared he might get smashed for a second there. Bh he didn't, but omg , why are these kids riding electric scooters?!

chanar

Post Mon, Jun 12 2023, 6:59 pm
There was a recent post on this. I posted there, my 14 year old son, who happens to be a super careful, very cautious but sporty kid, was on his electric scooter last summer, riding safely upstate, and went flying on it. He ended up needing major surgery which left him with 2 scars down his entire forearm and a third halfway down. He still needs intense Pt..
one of my best friends sons, also last summer, was riding home from Shul on his, hit a ditch in the road, and needed emergency surgery on his broken ankle. Another very close friends son rode dangerously into the road and got hit by a car. Bh he was fine..
but it’s a no from us…

mha3484

Post Mon, Jun 12 2023, 6:59 pm
My kids have segways and I dont think they are any more unsafe then a bike. It comes down to your own kid and their maturity. Ive seen some reallly scary stuff with kids on bikes. Its not the device its the user.

s1

Post Mon, Jun 12 2023, 7:01 pm
In the uk it is illegal to ride an electric scooter in a public place. This includes roads and pavements. I take this as indication of their danger. And I saw a video last week of one catching fire while it was charging.

amother
Blonde

Post Mon, Jun 12 2023, 7:03 pm
Yes electric scooters are dangerous.
Yes I have a child who owns,and uses an electric scooter daily.he bought it with his bar mitzva money after I investigated laid down rules and helped him make the decision as to which one to purchase based on my guidelines. Having son ride a scooter with my knowledge at the max speed I allow always wearing a helmet is a lot safer than borrowing from all his friends and riding anywhere without helmet at more than double the speed his scooter can drive.
(Yes wires,and batteries,need upkeep and ventilation. )

ra_mom

Post Mon, Jun 12 2023, 7:04 pm
Terribly unsafe.

amother
Purple

Post Mon, Jun 12 2023, 7:31 pm
Do scooters cause more fires than rechargeable vacuums laptops etc?

amother
Aconite

Post Mon, Jun 12 2023, 7:39 pm
mha3484 wrote:
My kids have segways and I dont think they are any more unsafe then a bike. It comes down to your own kid and their maturity. Ive seen some reallly scary stuff with kids on bikes. Its not the device its the user.

Anything electronic is more out of control than its manual counterpart.

My kids are careful, they used their electric scooters religiously for a year without incident. And then they both had accidents 2 weeks apart. B"h no major injuries but lots of bruises and scrapes.

I'm very wary about it now. One son's scooter got bent out of shape beyond repair, so now I'm back to driving him wherever he needs to go.
The other one's still works. I don't ban it but I don't like it. I asked them not to use it for long trips though.

The tires bust pretty quickly, they cost money to replace and there aren't too many shops willing to do it. It's super hard to change yourself.

I also think that perhaps changing the tires thereby messing with the original mechanism for some reason makes them more susceptible to accidents. That's my theory.

amother
Ultramarine

Post Mon, Jun 12 2023, 7:40 pm
mha3484 wrote:

I disagree in this case. If a person falls from a regular bike they're not going as fast as from a segway. The faster the speed the greater impact and worse injuries. Also kids are taking more risks because they can accelerate faster, so they're darting out into the streets.

I heard some kids rml died in eretz yisroel and some asured it there.

I have a family member who's in hatzoloh, and he says he has seen horrible things involving these... Hashem yishmor.

Personally, I don't care how many friends have it and how much pressure there is to get one. A definite no for us.

mha3484

Post Mon, Jun 12 2023, 7:48 pm
There was a horrible accident in my neighborhood where a kid on a bike died when he got hit by a car. Ive seen and heard enough horror stories with bikes that I don't inherently think one is safer. I think assuming bike = safe is a false sense of security.

amother
Teal

Post Mon, Jun 12 2023, 8:00 pm
s1 wrote:
In the uk it is illegal to ride an electric scooter in a public place. This includes roads and pavements. I take this as indication of their danger. And I saw a video last week of one catching fire while it was charging.

Yes but unfortunately most jewish teens seem to be above the law and use them anyway. On the roads and the pavements.
I've seen so many instances of kids riding their scooters on the road recklessly. Wrong way onto oncoming traffic. Swerving in and out around cars on the main road. Zooming around cars doing 3 point turns. Ignoring traffic lights and zebra crossings. Etc.
Parents, if you decide its ok to break this law, PLEASE teach your kids the highway code.
I'm worried it will c'v take a tragedy for anyone to take notice of the danger.

amother
Blonde

Post Mon, Jun 12 2023, 8:32 pm
Wondering
Those saying "definitely not for us" have you raised children through adolescents already?
Did you tell your children no climbing, no evading bus fares, no no jumping turn styles, no vaping smoking, etc?
And they always listened?
Sometimes it's better to discuss the danger and life implications than saying "NO"

mommy3b2c

Post Mon, Jun 12 2023, 8:48 pm
A man just got his legs amputated while on an electric scooter . And he died. So no. My kids don’t have them and never will.

ShishKabob

Post Mon, Jun 12 2023, 8:57 pm
Pretty dangerous. I was not upset when my ds scooter broke.

amother
OP

Post Mon, Jun 12 2023, 10:49 pm
Thank you all. DD has been begging me for one. I was inclined to say no-especially after her friend got badly hurt on one. I needed to read all these responses to help me firm up my response to DD.

amother
Aconite

Post Mon, Jun 12 2023, 10:55 pm
mommy3b2c wrote:
A man just got his legs amputated while on an electric scooter . And he died. So no. My kids don’t have them and never will.

Can you please link the article? I want to show it to my boys.

amother
Aqua

Post Mon, Jun 12 2023, 11:48 pm
People have terrible accidents and die driving cars too. These anecdotes don't prove e-scooters are more dangerous than anything else.
We need real numbers.

Hashem_Yaazor

Post Mon, Jun 12 2023, 11:49 pm
amother Blonde wrote:
Wondering
Those saying "definitely not for us" have you raised children through adolescents already?
Did you tell your children no climbing, no evading bus fares, no no jumping turn styles, no vaping smoking, etc?
And they always listened?
Sometimes it's better to discuss the danger and life implications than saying "NO"

Yes
BH ba"h
I live out of town which helps a lot with most of those examples.
4 teenagers with no electric scooters.
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics