Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management -> Finances
Grocery bill? How can I adjust?

amother
OP

Post Fri, Jun 16 2023, 11:55 am
I have a rather small family and I'm spending $300 sometimes even more per week on groceries.
Any ideas how to cut this down?
I do mostly shop in the Jewish stores, I buy on sale and don't go crazy.
Typically I'll buy chicken, a little fruit, veggies, cookies, chips, milk, deli, bread.

singleagain

Post Fri, Jun 16 2023, 11:57 am
If you aren't makpid to buy jewish brands only, you can buy bulk nationals brands and maybe even do something like a subscribe and save on Amazon with them.

Also, local produce stores, that only sell produce are often cheaper as well

amother
Mocha

Post Fri, Jun 16 2023, 11:57 am
Bought cookies are extremely expensive. Worth baking and freezing once a month.

Try to break down how much you’re spending on each category.

amother
Ivory

Post Fri, Jun 16 2023, 11:59 am
Eligible for wic?

I do detergents online.
For my family of 4, I probably spend close to 300 as well.
Chicken, fish is expensive. If you leave near a bingo, you can buy sides of salmon and slice. That's way cheaper than fish store that's $18.99 pp of baby salmon

NotInNJMommy

Post Fri, Jun 16 2023, 12:01 pm
IMHO Cut out the deli meat. HUGE expense, and trade it off with other meat/proteins in whole/cut up/cooked form.

amother
OP

Post Fri, Jun 16 2023, 12:01 pm
I do have wic but seem to spend the same amount anyway.

I try to get to Bingo but I don't love their chicken and produce.

Where can I get produce in Lakewood?

amother
OP

Post Fri, Jun 16 2023, 12:02 pm
Would buying a whole chicken and cutting it up help?

amother
Ruby

Post Fri, Jun 16 2023, 12:03 pm
Go to Moishas or KRM, they have very good sales on items.

amother
Bisque

Post Fri, Jun 16 2023, 12:15 pm
amother OP wrote:
I do have wic but seem to spend the same amount anyway.

I try to get to Bingo but I don't love their chicken and produce.

Where can I get produce in Lakewood?

OP here’s what I do:

Aldi or Walmart for produce/oil/pasta/cereal etc

Bingo for paper goods, foil pans plus other cheaper items

Fill in GG for meat/chicken etc

I really found this to help my bill a LOT

amother
Bergamot

Post Fri, Jun 16 2023, 12:19 pm
Change how you shop:

1. It might help if you make a menu for the week and shop only ingredients for what's on the list, rather than buying what you think you probably need. You'll probably end up buying less.
You can plan your menu off the weekly specials.

2. Only shop once a week. After that, make do with what you have at home. A bunch if little shopping trips comes out more expensive than 1 bigger one.

amother
OP

Post Fri, Jun 16 2023, 12:39 pm
I do actually make a meal plan at the beginning of the week.
I usually shop twice a week. Once in the beginning and then for shabbos.

The issue is I don't have a lot of free time to run around to different stores. I am sure that would save me if I could.

amother
Mocha

Post Fri, Jun 16 2023, 12:40 pm
amother OP wrote:
I do actually make a meal plan at the beginning of the week.
I usually shop twice a week. Once in the beginning and then for shabbos.

The issue is I don't have a lot of free time to run around to different stores. I am sure that would save me if I could.

I alternate stores by the week, stocking up on what’s cheapest in that weeks store. So one week I go where dairy is cheapest and buy enough for 3 weeks. Next week I go where meat is cheapest etc.

amother
Steel

Post Fri, Jun 16 2023, 12:46 pm
We do not use the Jewish groceries for the following, and it helps a LOT.
Pasta, rice, sugar, flour, oil, baking ingred like vanilla extract etc, some spices, coffee, condiments, snacks, shabbos drinks, cereal, dried fruit, oatmeal, beans,peanut butter, parve ice cream, ices, etc
Come to think of it, we really only use the Jewish groceries for chicken, meat, milk, cheese and fresh fruits and veggies.
Everything else is cheaper in walmart/target/aldi/costco and some things even on amazon.
It pays to do research on which products are cheaper where, and do bulk shopping and stock up for a long time so youre not constantly running to different stores.

amother
OP

Post Fri, Jun 16 2023, 12:54 pm
amother Mocha wrote:
I alternate stores by the week, stocking up on what’s cheapest in that weeks store. So one week I go where dairy is cheapest and buy enough for 3 weeks. Next week I go where meat is cheapest etc.

Smart!!

amother
Ultramarine

Post Fri, Jun 16 2023, 12:56 pm
Stop shopping in small "Jewish" stores except for items that can't be purchased elsewhere although many people buy whole salmon and kosher chicken from Costco or Trader Joes.

Chips and pretzels are a huge bargain at Costco or Trader Joe or check the internet because you can have them shipped from Walmart.com for very good prices.

Buy produce at grocery store or Costco or Trader Joe or local farmer's market as they are in season now everywhere.

Cookies and other baked products are expensive and generally pretty mediocre unless you buy them at a REALLY good bakery in which case they are astronomically expensive. Very Happy Brownies and chocolate chip cookies are super easy to make. Make up a huge batch of cookie dough - make them into balls and freeze them. When you want cookies cook the balls from the freezer. Make a huge pan of brownies - takes about 5 minutes to mix and then slice and freeze individually - again brownies freeze well.

In terms of overall strategy, make up a menu each week and see what is on sale at the store you generally shop at. if it is a pantry staple stock up. Buy produce in season and on sale if possible - and also at the less expensive places. The quality of Costco produce is great.

Once a week make a less expensive recipe - dishes like chili or stew are inexpensive per serving - bonus is that you can make huge batches and freeze - either individual portions or enough for a family meal.

Ditto for making a spaghetti sauce in a huge batch and freezing it. Very easy to make and much less expensive than jars. There is nothing wrong with keeping a jar or two in the pantry but if you make your own it is generally better tasting and far less expensive.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics