Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children
Depriving water at bedtime
  1  2  3  14  15  16  Next

amother
OP

Post Tue, Jun 20 2023, 10:18 am
PSA It’s awful parenting to do that. Even if your kid bedwets and has accidents. Don’t deprive a child access to water. This should be common sense but it seems that it isn’t. Don’t make a kid be thirsty.

amother
Hunter

Post Tue, Jun 20 2023, 10:20 am
amother OP wrote:
PSA It’s awful parenting to do that. Even if your kid bedwets and has accidents. Don’t deprive a child access to water. This should be common sense but it seems that it isn’t. Don’t make a kid be thirsty.

Some kids are all of a sudden thirsty at bedtime. I think it's perfectly fine to tell them they can have all the drink they want up to an hour before. Prepare them a water bottle that they keep with them for an hour before. And then after that hour ( or up until bedtime or whatever you choose) they're done.
I don't think that's cruel at all.

amother
OP

Post Tue, Jun 20 2023, 10:23 am
amother Hunter wrote:
Some kids are all of a sudden thirsty at bedtime. I think it's perfectly fine to tell them they can have all the drink they want up to an hour before. Prepare them a water bottle that they keep with them for an hour before. And then after that hour ( or up until bedtime or whatever you choose) they're done.
I don't think that's cruel at all.

Such abusive parenting. I’m sorry for your kids.Do you know what it feels like to be thirsty? For your kids sake please allow them water access.
Edited to add I wonder if your my neighbor. I feel so sorry when she doesn’t allow her kids to drink because it’s too close to bedtime. It’s controlling behavior to limit water access and very selfish of a parent to do. Even if a kid has accidents. Please be more flexible with your kids.

amother
Magenta

Post Tue, Jun 20 2023, 10:23 am
Relax, most parents aren't depriving their kids, cut the drama please!

amother
OP

Post Tue, Jun 20 2023, 10:24 am
amother Magenta wrote:
Relax, most parents aren't depriving their kids, cut the drama please!

Except for the ones that are….

amother
Magenta

Post Tue, Jun 20 2023, 10:25 am
amother OP wrote:
Such abusive parenting. I’m sorry for your kids.Do you know what it feels like to be thirsty? For your kids sake please allow them water access.

You seem traumatized about something.
The kids generally aren't thirsty. They just want to come out of bed every 5 minutes, and don't even drink. And if they have a water bottle at their bed, it either always "spills" or the kids find a different excuse to come out of bed for.
Everyone knows their kids and should do accordingly.

amother
Magenta

Post Tue, Jun 20 2023, 10:26 am
amother OP wrote:
Except for the ones that are….

Your hysterical PSA won't help those that really deprive their kids. Most normal parents don't. Not giving water every 5 minute after bedtime, when parents know that kid isn't thirsty, is not depriving the kid.

amother
OP

Post Tue, Jun 20 2023, 10:27 am
amother Magenta wrote:
You seem traumatized about something.
The kids generally aren't thirsty. They just want to come out of bed every 5 minutes, and don't even drink. And if they have a water bottle at their bed, it either always "spills" or the kids find a different excuse to come out of bed for.
Everyone knows their kids and should do accordingly.

How do you know your kids aren’t thirsty? Kids are people and the same way adults get thirsty kids do as well. If your worried about spills buy a contigo water bottle for them and have it near their bed. It’s that simple.

amother
Hunter

Post Tue, Jun 20 2023, 10:28 am
amother OP wrote:
Edited to add I wonder if your my neighbor. I feel so sorry when she doesn’t allow her kids to drink because it’s too close to bedtime. It’s controlling behavior to limit water access and very selfish of a parent to do. Even if a kid has accidents. Please be more flexible with your kids.

I don't know if I'm your neighbor but my kids never ask for water at bedtime anyways so it's probably not me. But I don't think it's abusive.

amother
OP

Post Tue, Jun 20 2023, 10:28 am
amother Magenta wrote:
Your hysterical PSA won't help those that really deprive their kids. Most normal parents don't. Not giving water every 5 minute after bedtime, when parents know that kid isn't thirsty, is not depriving the kid.

Eliminating and controlling water access is depriving kids. Every kid should have access to water and it shouldn’t be controlled by a parent. As I said this should be common sense but apparently it isn’t.

amother
Magenta

Post Tue, Jun 20 2023, 10:29 am
amother OP wrote:
How do you know your kids aren’t thirsty? Kids are people and the same way adults get thirsty kids do as well. If your worried about spills buy a contigo water bottle for them and have it near their bed. It’s that simple.

I know from experience! They don't drink, they just say they're thirsty because they want to come out of bed. Yeah, they've managed to open and spill every type of water bottle out there. When I take water to them, they don't drink... so no, they're not thirsty.

amother
OP

Post Tue, Jun 20 2023, 10:29 am
amother Hunter wrote:
I don't know if I'm your neighbor but my kids never ask for water at bedtime anyways so it's probably not me. But I don't think it's abusive.

If they ask do you give them?? A kid should have a water bottle near them or easy access to water.

amother
OP

Post Tue, Jun 20 2023, 10:30 am
amother Magenta wrote:
I know from experience! They don't drink, they just say they're thirsty because they want to come out of bed. Yeah, they've managed to open and spill every type of water bottle out there. When I take water to them, they don't drink... so no, they're not thirsty.

You don’t know. Just have easy water access for them. That’s sensible and good parenting. Why are you so resistant?
Kids that have water bottle near them never have that excuse that they are thirsty so this will help with bedtime and not hurt it. Thirst is a non issue because of course they have water.

amother
Magenta

amother OP wrote:
Eliminating and controlling water access is depriving kids. Every kid should have access to water and it shouldn’t be controlled by a parent. As I said this should be common sense but apparently it isn’t.

They have access to water, don't worry.
Were you deprived as a kid and perhaps stayed with the trauma?

amother
Strawberry

Personally it doesn’t sit right with me to ever tell a kid they can’t have water. It should be their right and decision. It’s water! There is no way to know for sure if a kid is actually thirsty or just pulling shtick or just doing it out of habit except to trust them when they say they are thirsty…

amother
Magenta

Post Tue, Jun 20 2023, 10:32 am
amother OP wrote:
You don’t know. Just have easy water access for them. That’s sensible and good parenting. Why are you so resistant?

Did you even read my post? They have access to water. I'm not resistant. Just explaining to you that not giving water whenever the child asks, is not automatically depriving or abusive.

amother
OP

Post Tue, Jun 20 2023, 10:32 am
amother Magenta wrote:
They have access to water, don't worry.
Were you deprived as a kid and perhaps stayed with the trauma?

I’m traumatized from watching moms like you parent their kids and restricting drinks. These poor kids are thirsty just offer them a drink.

amother
Gladiolus

Post Tue, Jun 20 2023, 10:33 am
amother OP wrote:
I’m traumatized from watching moms like you parent their kids and restricting drinks. These poor kids are thirsty just offer them a drink.

You hang out at bed time at your neighbors?

amother
OP

amother Magenta wrote:
Did you even read my post? They have access to water. I'm not resistant. Just explaining to you that not giving water whenever the child asks, is not automatically depriving or abusive.

Yes it is. If you aren’t allowing them to drink whenever they want that is depriving and abusive.

amother
Magenta

amother OP wrote:

Huh? How do I parent? How am I restricting drinks?
You're obviously just reading what you want to read so you can bash and attack, not cool.
Page 1 of 16   1  2  3  14  15  16  Next Recent Topics