Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Interesting Discussions
The $175 Gold Plated Burger at a Kosher Eatery
1  2  Next

Would you go out and order this?
Yes  
 2%  [ 4 ]
No  
 97%  [ 142 ]
Total Votes : 146

isrmss91

Post Thu, Jun 22 2023, 12:30 am
https://vinnews.com/2023/06/21.....rger/
Would you eat it? What do you think about this? Is this okay?

zaq

Post Thu, Jun 22 2023, 12:56 am
If a person is stupid enough to want to do this and rich enough to be able to do this, gezunteh heit. How is it really different from spending absurd sums on any other consumable luxury item--say, $750 for a bottle of wine, and yes, there is at least one kosher wine that goes for that much--, or the premium for any prestigious brand name item well above and beyond the value of its quality?

zaq

Post Thu, Jun 22 2023, 1:03 am
Health wise it's fine. It's not that much gold, just gold leaf which is a few atoms thick, and it will pass through the gut chemically unchanged. It does give new meaning to the expression "s/he thinks s/he poops gold."

ap

Post Thu, Jun 22 2023, 1:32 am
No..
What does gold taste like?

Last edited by ap on Thu, Jun 22 2023, 2:31 am; edited 1 time in total

OceanRider

Post Thu, Jun 22 2023, 1:39 am
Does gold have any nutritional benefits at all?
If they would do silver, at least it would have the anti bacterial properties.. when you get into the health minded department you’ve got a whole clientele that is ready to empty their pockets

realsilver

Post Thu, Jun 22 2023, 2:09 am
I tasted gold flakes in vodka once.
it doesn't taste.

but this.... this is a new level of insanity.

zaq

Post Thu, Jun 22 2023, 2:48 am
Gold has no nutritional benefit. Some gold compounds are used in medicine, but elemental gold is inert and passes unchanged through the digestive system.

DrMom

Post Thu, Jun 22 2023, 3:09 am
Why would you deliberately eat something with no nutritional value and no good taste? And pay so much for it?

Disappointing that there is no photo in the article.

Quote:
The 12-ounce short-rib burger is wrapped in leaves of real, 24-karat gold. It’s grilled and topped with black Australian truffle, crunchy onions and chips, house-made sauce and pickles. The dish is brought to the table in a custom hand-carved wood treasure chest, which will be opened at the table, triggering a smoke show and illuminating its contents.

Rolling Laughter

zaq

Post Thu, Jun 22 2023, 3:16 am
DrMom wrote:
Why would you deliberately eat something with no nutritional value and no good taste? And pay so much for it?

You could say the same about Pesachdik Frooty-Sawdust Cereal but maybe some people like it.

But the answer is: so that they can brag that they did. Presumably because they have nothing else they can brag about.

zaq

Post Thu, Jun 22 2023, 3:24 am
The truffles are costlier than the gold. Australian truffles go for $2500-3000 per kilo. 30 sheets of edible gold leaf go for $12-$50 depending on the size of the sheet.

DrMom

Post Thu, Jun 22 2023, 3:40 am
zaq wrote:
You could say the same about Pesachdik Frooty-Sawdust Cereal but maybe some people like it.

But the answer is: so that they can brag that they did. Presumably because they have nothing else they can brag about.

At least Pesach cereal is sweet. I can see why some people would find it tempting (esp when there are fewer alternatives).

This just a burger covered with tasteless metal.

Also, it seems to be in really bad taste to eat something that is so pointlessly decadent. You'd have to have quite an ego to order such a thing. Just my take on it.

imasinger

Post Thu, Jun 22 2023, 5:06 am
Aand ... zaq hits it out of the park for the win!

hiitsme

Post Thu, Jun 22 2023, 5:14 am
zaq wrote:
The truffles are costlier than the gold. Australian truffles go for $2500-3000 per kilo. 30 sheets of edible gold leaf go for $12-$50 depending on the size of the sheet.

Well edible gold leaf per kg is about 10 times the price of truffles per kg Wink But you definitely use a lot less of it.

camp123

Post Thu, Jun 22 2023, 7:34 am
No, I don't think it's OK for frum people to be eating this. Not going to bought to explain bc either you have a sensitivity to it or you don't.

isrmss91

Post Thu, Jun 22 2023, 7:34 am
I think it literally is the Aigel HaZahav.

Mermaidinexile

Post Thu, Jun 22 2023, 7:44 am
zaq wrote:

Gold- flaked pesachdik cereal! I knew I was missing something this year.

B'Syata D'Shmya

Post Thu, Jun 22 2023, 8:08 am
Some people overspend on an extravagance to fill a void in their lives. If there werent buyers, there wouldnt be sellers. Its a free world and each person can judge how they want to spend their money and on what.
Its easy to judge someone elses budget. I remember a Mishpacha magazine Double Take about a family being supported by the community who spent a whole yerusha on a family trip to Israel.
Different strokes for different folks.

DrMom

Post Thu, Jun 22 2023, 8:40 am
isrmss91 wrote:
I think it literally is the Aigel HaZahav.

Rolling Laughter
Gadol

chanatron1000

Post Thu, Jun 22 2023, 8:50 am
B'Siyata DiShamaya wrote:
Some people overspend on an extravagance to fill a void in their lives. If there werent buyers, there wouldnt be sellers. Its a free world and each person can judge how they want to spend their money and on what.
Its easy to judge someone elses budget. I remember a Mishpacha magazine Double Take about a family being supported by the community who spent a whole yerusha on a family trip to Israel.
Different strokes for different folks.

Spending money on a pleasurable experience is not the same thing as spending money to symbolically consume wealth.

zaq

Post Thu, Jun 22 2023, 8:57 am
chanatron1000 wrote:
Spending money on a pleasurable experience is not the same thing as spending money to symbolically consume wealth.

For some people, pointless spending , and the bragging about it ad nauseam, IS a pleasurable experience. Besides, the burger comes with a sound and light show.

I wonder if they get to keep the wooden treasure chest? That would definitely be a temptation. Companies often offer products in reusable "keepsake" packages to simulate sales. Buy the overpriced jam because it comes in a "free" gorgeous cut-glass jar, e.g.
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics