Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Vacation and Traveling
Road trip: bungalow colony to Midwest!
1  2  Next

DVOM

Post Sun, Jun 25 2023, 7:16 pm
Hi all!

Due to an interesting series of events, our family vacation this summer will be a road trip from upstate NY to Chicago and back. We have ten days to complete the round trip.

I'd love to hear from people who've done this drive.Are we crazy? Google says about 14 hours each way. We're good drivers and enjoy road trips, but this does feel very far.

It looks like we're going to be driving the entire width of Pennsylvania, passing through Pittsburgh, then through Cleveland OH, past South Bend, and on to Chicago. We can take a slightly different route back, going through northern Pennsylvania.

Road trippin mamas, I'd love to hear it all! What are some fun things to do, good overnight stays, kosher food ideas, whatever info you've got would be very helpful!

amother
Maroon

Post Sun, Jun 25 2023, 7:29 pm
Lots of activities for the kids in the car!!! Also lots of food and snacks esp healthy snacks. Plan your driving time for mornings and after activities. That’s when kids behave best/are tired enough to sleep

doctorima

Post Sun, Jun 25 2023, 9:55 pm
I'd done it - more than once. To be honest, it's a real boring drive, not just because it's long, but because there is virtually nothing to see the entire way. Is there any option to fly, maybe at least one way for you and the littles kids?

I don't know why you're going to Chicago and whether your goal is to get there as soon as possible to maximize your time there, or to take your time and enjoy the journey.

If you're looking for places to stop, Pittsburgh has a kosher restaurant and wonderful science museum. Falling Water is one of the most famous architectural sites in the world, but I believe kids have to be at least 5 to go in. Cleveland also has a few restaurants (try the new Mendels) and things to do. There's also Cuyahoga and Indiana Dunes National Parks, though they're honestly from my least favorite national parks that I've visited.

amother
Heather

Post Sun, Jun 25 2023, 10:47 pm
We have been doing trips like that forever. I would leave in the morning and find something about 1.5-2 hours away and do taht activity for however long it takes. Get back in the car and drive another 1.5-2 hours, another activity and then drive about 3 hours as they will be tired, to spend the night. That puts you about 6-7 hours into your trip. Same thing next day. And the day after. 3 days there, 3days home. 4 days there.
Activities don’t all need to be “the greatest” and we have low food needs. Instant oatmeal with hot water for breakfast, peanut butter or cheese sandwiches for lunch and Packaged smoke turkey or hot dogs (George Forman grill) for dinner.

amother
Lilac

Post Sun, Jun 25 2023, 11:11 pm
I grew up doing that trip at least once a year!
and now that I'm married and living on East Coast, we do it the other way!

Now, with kids all younger than school age, it takes us around 15 hours if we go straight from Lakewood to Chicago. That's with approximately 3 stops, 1 hour each. With older kids the stops can be shorter.

As a kid, we all actually loved the trip! Took us between 12-13 hours. There were special foods that we would only get for trips, such as string cheese and a certain type of muffins. It's really relaxing. My parents always made a huge production whenever we passed cows or horses. You get in the car and you're not asking "are we there yet" because it's more of a mindset of "we are here for the next day, let's relax and enjoy each other's company". We would have great family discussions on those trips.

Sometimes we stop at relatives in Cleveland, which is around 20 min off the highway. They have kosher restaurants and groceries, minyanim and everything you could need.

South Bend is also just a few min off the highway, around 2 hours before Chicago. Smaller community but they have minyanim and a small grocery, not sure the restaurant status now.

I hope you enjoy Chicago! It's a beautiful city with lots to do there!

miami85

Post Sun, Jun 25 2023, 11:17 pm
We are seasoned long-distanced travelers. We've done East coast-Midwest and back and from Midwest to Florida several times.

It helps to have planned goal rest-stops where to get to to stretch out, but honestly, I've found that the best way to "get there" is to just keep going. The more in and out of the car the longer and schleppier the trip.

Get good story CDs or the equivalent-- Yoel Ferber has great ones.

Play the 'ABC" game or "I spy" (how many (blue) cars in 5 minutes). There are like car bingos you can get.
Kids often sleep in the car. Puzzle/sudoku/word searches.

Lots of snacks--get special snacks for the car. or Big bag and put them in ziploc or cups.

My kids have tablets, but the rule is "only at night"--but try to get games that don't need an internet/cell signal.

amother
Lilac

Post Sun, Jun 25 2023, 11:20 pm
Another idea, when we were little everyone got a new coloring book with their own box of crayons. Makes it really exciting.
Sometimes we get new sticker books for the kids to play with.

Bubbles/balls/jump ropes to play with at the rest stop.

Bring a bunch of bagels/rolls. Lunch is cream cheese on rolls and supper is cold cut sandwiches (perishables in the cooler).
We've done cans of tuna (with the tab-open top that doesn't need a can opener), bring with a jar of mayo, and a can of pickles or corn/baby corn, and you can prepare it at the rest stop.

Do you need ideas of what to do in Chicago?

amother
Wine

Post Mon, Jun 26 2023, 12:50 am
How far will you be from passing Detroit. There are activities and restaurants and grocery shopping here too.

amother
Heather

Post Mon, Jun 26 2023, 1:37 am
I’m planning your trip.

Wake up really early and drive about 2 hour to a states park near Allentown. Have your kids daven in nature. Buy a disposable grill and cook eggs and toast for breakfast. They will be super excited. Play in the playground.

It is then about 1.25 hours to Dutch Wonderland.
If you start early enough you can be there by 10/10:30/11. Spend the day and they do (did?) have kosher food. When the kids are done, get in the car and drive 2.5 hours to a hotel.

Let me know if you want more planning.

(Other options on the way include Bushkill falls or Crayola. I’m thinking Bushkill on the way home)

** how old/how many kids?

DVOM

Post Fri, Jun 30 2023, 5:57 pm
Guys this is all so helpful! Ty!

DVOM

Post Fri, Jun 30 2023, 6:01 pm
doctorima wrote:
I'd done it - more than once. To be honest, it's a real boring drive, not just because it's long, but because there is virtually nothing to see the entire way. Is there any option to fly, maybe at least one way for you and the littles kids?

I don't know why you're going to Chicago and whether your goal is to get there as soon as possible to maximize your time there, or to take your time and enjoy the journey.

If you're looking for places to stop, Pittsburgh has a kosher restaurant and wonderful science museum. Falling Water is one of the most famous architectural sites in the world, but I believe kids have to be at least 5 to go in. Cleveland also has a few restaurants (try the new Mendels) and things to do. There's also Cuyahoga and Indiana Dunes National Parks, though they're honestly from my least favorite national parks that I've visited.

Tell me more about Pittsburgh! It's definitely going to be a stop, maybe an overnight stop. Cleveland too.

I'm sad to hear the national parks aren't very exciting. I was planning on looking into them. Why didn't you like them? We've been to a few national parks and been so impressed by them!

amother
Poinsettia

Post Fri, Jun 30 2023, 6:04 pm
DVOM wrote:
Tell me more about Pittsburgh! It's definitely going to be a stop, maybe an overnight stop. Cleveland too.

I'm sad to hear the national parks aren't very exciting. I was planning on looking into them. Why didn't you like them? We've been to a few national parks and been so impressed by them!

National Park in Cleveland is not worth your time. But there are some decent food options here and given that cleveland is around your halfway mark it might be a good place to stop.

amother
Lightgray

Post Fri, Jun 30 2023, 6:09 pm
Definitely plan to stop in Cleveland

amother
Aconite

Post Fri, Jun 30 2023, 6:14 pm
Go to mendels in Cleveland for a meal!

DVOM

Post Fri, Jun 30 2023, 6:21 pm
amother Heather wrote:
I’m planning your trip.

Wake up really early and drive about 2 hour to a states park near Allentown. Have your kids daven in nature. Buy a disposable grill and cook eggs and toast for breakfast. They will be super excited. Play in the playground.

It is then about 1.25 hours to Dutch Wonderland.
If you start early enough you can be there by 10/10:30/11. Spend the day and they do (did?) have kosher food. When the kids are done, get in the car and drive 2.5 hours to a hotel.

Let me know if you want more planning.

(Other options on the way include Bushkill falls or Crayola. I’m thinking Bushkill on the way home)

** how old/how many kids?

Thanks! I'd love your help!

Dutch wonderland is a great idea!

My kids are 15,12,11,9 and almost 2.

DVOM

Post Fri, Jun 30 2023, 6:30 pm
miami85 wrote:
We are seasoned long-distanced travelers. We've done East coast-Midwest and back and from Midwest to Florida several times.

It helps to have planned goal rest-stops where to get to to stretch out, but honestly, I've found that the best way to "get there" is to just keep going. The more in and out of the car the longer and schleppier the trip.

Get good story CDs or the equivalent-- Yoel Ferber has great ones.

Play the 'ABC" game or "I spy" (how many (blue) cars in 5 minutes). There are like car bingos you can get.
Kids often sleep in the car. Puzzle/sudoku/word searches.

Lots of snacks--get special snacks for the car. or Big bag and put them in ziploc or cups.

My kids have tablets, but the rule is "only at night"--but try to get games that don't need an internet/cell signal.

I totally identify with the 'just get there' mentality, but we do also want to enjoy the journey. My hope is to do the drive in 2 days, one overnight stop.

We love story CDs for road trips.

DVOM

Post Fri, Jun 30 2023, 6:31 pm
amother Poinsettia wrote:
National Park in Cleveland is not worth your time. But there are some decent food options here and given that cleveland is around your halfway mark it might be a good place to stop.

Ok, really helpful, ty!

doctorima

Post Sat, Jul 01 2023, 10:56 pm
DVOM wrote:

The Pittsburgh science museum is excellent, and Milky Way is a nice family-friendly milchig restaurant. The Duquesne Incline is also a unique experience if you're looking for something more to do in the area, though if you're pressed for time you can skip it.

I seem to recall you have boys, so if they're into football the NFL Hall of Fame in Canton is just south of Cleveland and will be a huge hit.

As for the national parks, I love nature and have been to more than 40, but sadly the two you will pass by are among my 5 least favorites. If you want something to do at Cuyahoga Valley the Ledges hike and/or the trail to Brandywine Falls are your best bets, but lower your expectations - nobody would ever mistake it for the Grand Canyon lol.

Hatzlacha, and feel free to post follow-up questions or PM as the trip planning progresses.

amother
Clear

Post Sat, Jul 01 2023, 11:26 pm
Pittsburg isn’t in the way to Chicago. It’s out of the way. Good luck with the road trip.

amother
Blush

Post Sat, Jul 01 2023, 11:26 pm
DVOM wrote:
Thanks! I'd love your help!

Dutch wonderland is a great idea!

My kids are 15,12,11,9 and almost 2.

Dutch Wonderland is definitely not for these ages. If your kids enjoy amusement parks do cedar point. Not far from Cleveland and the roller coaster capitol of the us.

Carnegie Science museum in Pittsburgh would be my first choice for those ages but there’s also the National Aviary which I guess depending on their interests could be interesting.

Haven’t looked on a map but could you pass Dayton? The Air Force museum there would be a big hit with your boys.

Love road trips!
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics