Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Children's Health
Ped has children undress at well visits
Previous  1  2  3  Next

amother
Green

Post Fri, Jun 30 2023, 2:31 pm
amother Saddlebrown wrote:
I think there’s a happy medium. Mine has them keep on underwear and undershirt and gown over for the bigger kids.
I actually went for a well visit myself recently and was surprised that I stayed entirely dressed. It didn’t feel thorough to me at all. Was mostly blood work and conversation.

I agree. Let's say you bruise easily and have many bruises on your body. This could be indicative of a problem and the doctor wont know about it if he can't see them.
This is just one example. I am not a doctor so cannot give others. But we don't send our kids just to get their vaccines and their hearts listened to. They should have their bodies examined.

amother
Gold

Post Fri, Jun 30 2023, 2:31 pm
amother Green wrote:
It is my understanding that the doctor cannot properly check for scoliosis by simply lifting up the shirt. The child has to have their back exposed and they must bend forward from the waist to see abnormalities.
My pediatricians would have the kids keep on their bra/undershirt and underwear and when it came time to check the back, the kid would remove the top garment in a way which did not expose their chests, (in other words, keeping their backs toward the doctor) lean forward, and then replace the top.
When it comes to checking their private area, they may have a directive to check to make sure that there is no signs of abuse in that area in addition to other reasons. It really should be for just one moment.
I know it's not fun to get unclothed, but you may be doing your kids a disservice by opting for a doctor who doesnt do this. It can also teach them that they should be afraid to get naked in front of a doctor. That may not be so healthy. (Of course this is if you can get a female doctor for the girls and a male doctor for the boys.) I stayed in the room with my kid and turned my back when they removed their base layers. This made them more comfortable - that they weren't "alone" with the doctor.
There should be no reason for the doctor to see the girls chests once they are developing. They are not getting a breast exam.

Maybe, but by allowing the doctor to do this, I am now very resistant to remove clothing in front of a doctor. So it might backfire.

I'd go with a doctor that gives the control to the child. "Would you be okay with me looking at your chest?" and accepting a no easily.

amother
Green

Post Fri, Jun 30 2023, 2:41 pm
amother Gold wrote:
Maybe, but by allowing the doctor to do this, I am now very resistant to remove clothing in front of a doctor. So it might backfire.

I'd go with a doctor that gives the control to the child. "Would you be okay with me looking at your chest?" and accepting a no easily.

Of course the doctor shouldn't force anyone and should give power of refusal.

amother
Lemonchiffon

Post Fri, Jun 30 2023, 2:41 pm
amother Green wrote:
It is my understanding that the doctor cannot properly check for scoliosis by simply lifting up the shirt. The child has to have their back exposed and they must bend forward from the waist to see abnormalities.
My pediatricians would have the kids keep on their bra/undershirt and underwear and when it came time to check the back, the kid would remove the top garment in a way which did not expose their chests, (in other words, keeping their backs toward the doctor) lean forward, and then replace the top.
When it comes to checking their private area, they may have a directive to check to make sure that there is no signs of abuse in that area in addition to other reasons. It really should be for just one moment.
I know it's not fun to get unclothed, but you may be doing your kids a disservice by opting for a doctor who doesnt do this. It can also teach them that they should be afraid to get naked in front of a doctor. That may not be so healthy. (Of course this is if you can get a female doctor for the girls and a male doctor for the boys.) I stayed in the room with my kid and turned my back when they removed their base layers. This made them more comfortable - that they weren't "alone" with the doctor.
There should be no reason for the doctor to see the girls chests once they are developing. They are not getting a breast exam.

My dr just lifted my shirt a little in the back to check for scoliosis. No need to take it off

gr82no

Post Fri, Jun 30 2023, 3:03 pm
amother Green wrote:
I agree. Let's say you bruise easily and have many bruises on your body. This could be indicative of a problem and the doctor wont know about it if he can't see them.
This is just one example. I am not a doctor so cannot give others. But we don't send our kids just to get their vaccines and their hearts listened to. They should have their bodies examined.

That is something I can notice myself. Most things ppl bring it up to the dr not the other way.

amother
Trillium

Post Fri, Jun 30 2023, 3:07 pm
Many years ago- I switched to a female pediatrician as I felt my teenaged daughters were no longer comfortable with our regular (male) pediatrician.
As we lived within walking proximity- I sent my then 13 yr old on her own to a well-visit (what was I thinking?). She came home, uncharacteristically, sobbing. She said not only did she have to wear only a thin paper robe, but the dr gave her a breast exam as well! She was telling the truth.
We never saw that doctor again.
My daughter recently (she is in her 40s now) told me how much that traumatized her- and if it were today- oh, how differently I would have handled it-

amother
Emerald

Post Fri, Jun 30 2023, 3:22 pm
I understand doctors checking private areas regardless of patient having symptoms or not. There could be things going on that a child either doesn't realize is unusual or is embarrassed to tell anyone about.

That said, I myself HATE being asked to get undressed and into a gown. I feel so exposed. Even at the OBGYN when I know there is going to be the most intimate sort of examination, why can't I just take off my underwear and keep my skirt and top on? It's a terrible feeling to be put in that gown and I really appreciate that my children aren't asked to do that, regardless of full examination of their bodies.

amother
Dimgray

Post Fri, Jun 30 2023, 3:38 pm
Doctors also look for signs of abuse. It might be covered with clothing.

amother
Silver

Post Fri, Jun 30 2023, 3:38 pm
I’d never use such a pediatrician

amother
Green

Post Fri, Jun 30 2023, 3:59 pm
amother Lemonchiffon wrote:
My dr just lifted my shirt a little in the back to check for scoliosis. No need to take it off

Just because your doctor did that, doesnt make it right. In fact, he's wrong. Whether he doesnt know any better or was trying to shorten the exam time. You cant look at a small portion of the back to determine if there is curvature of the spine.

amother
Green

Post Fri, Jun 30 2023, 4:00 pm
amother Trillium wrote:
Many years ago- I switched to a female pediatrician as I felt my teenaged daughters were no longer comfortable with our regular (male) pediatrician.
As we lived within walking proximity- I sent my then 13 yr old on her own to a well-visit (what was I thinking?). She came home, uncharacteristically, sobbing. She said not only did she have to wear only a thin paper robe, but the dr gave her a breast exam as well! She was telling the truth.
We never saw that doctor again.
My daughter recently (she is in her 40s now) told me how much that traumatized her- and if it were today- oh, how differently I would have handled it-

I dont think a 13 year old can have breast lumps, but I did find a large one on myself at age 19.

amother
Lightgreen

Post Fri, Jun 30 2023, 4:01 pm
Actually, you could remove your underwear and leave on a loose skirt and sweatshirt. One midwife told me I could ( maybe after I said something). At a different practice, the midwife was shocked but went along with it. They were perfectly able to complete the exam.

amother
Green

Post Fri, Jun 30 2023, 4:01 pm
gr82no wrote:
That is something I can notice myself. Most things ppl bring it up to the dr not the other way.

Presumably your older children dont let you see them while just in their underwear.

amother
Peru

Post Fri, Jun 30 2023, 5:36 pm
While reading your post I was absolutely chocked but while reading comments I actually feel weird. I grew up in Europe, and never never had to undress or show any private parts to a pediatrician or doc growing up 😱 but also I don't remember going to the doctor growing except when I was sick which was like once every 4 years (BH). I guess it defers from countries to countries ...

oneofakind

Post Fri, Jun 30 2023, 5:37 pm
Yes. Well checks are an American thing. Israel they don't do it either.

amother
Fern

Post Fri, Jun 30 2023, 6:15 pm
Is it only me or do you also feel subconscious by your OB doing an annual exam or an ultrasound? When I lift up my shirt I feel so uncomfortable

Chayalle

Post Fri, Jun 30 2023, 6:18 pm
amother Green wrote:
I dont think a 13 year old can have breast lumps, but I did find a large one on myself at age 19.

My sister is a doctor and she once found a lump on a 17 year old. She offers breast exams for teens since then, but does not force it if they are uncomfortable, as it is unusual.

I don't know any doctors who would treat a minor (well visit) without a parent (or designated adult) present.

amother
Lightcoral

Post Fri, Jun 30 2023, 6:27 pm
amother Green wrote:

13 year olds can have breast lumps. My 13 DD actually had surgery this morning to remove a (benign) lump in her breast.

For those who don't want a full body check, I totally understand it. But you have to realize that it only serves you well if everything is ok. Since BH, most of our kids are usually ok so we use that to rationalize our discomfort. One of the purposes of a well visit is for the doctor to see if there's any unusual presentation or concern. If full body checks aren't done, the opportunity to find concerns early in time is lost.

It happens quite often that we, especially kids, aren't aware of whats usual and whats not. Even more so a developing teen whose going through body changes. How are they to know that pubic hair is normal but hair presenting in other places isn't normal?

amother
Emerald

Post Fri, Jun 30 2023, 6:38 pm
amother Fern wrote:
Is it only me or do you also feel subconscious by your OB doing an annual exam or an ultrasound? When I lift up my shirt I feel so uncomfortable

Self-conscious.

amother
Lemonchiffon

Post Fri, Jun 30 2023, 7:14 pm
amother Emerald wrote:
I understand doctors checking private areas regardless of patient having symptoms or not. There could be things going on that a child either doesn't realize is unusual or is embarrassed to tell anyone about.

That said, I myself HATE being asked to get undressed and into a gown. I feel so exposed. Even at the OBGYN when I know there is going to be the most intimate sort of examination, why can't I just take off my underwear and keep my skirt and top on? It's a terrible feeling to be put in that gown and I really appreciate that my children aren't asked to do that, regardless of full examination of their bodies.

I literally always do that. Sometimes I’ll drape the gown over my legs for extra coverage but I feel better with my skirt on. If I’m having a breast exam obviously I’m wearing a hospital gown/vest.
Page 2 of 3 Previous  1  2  3  Next Recent Topics