Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Children's Health
Does your child take mineral oil for constipation?

amother
OP

Post Mon, Jul 03 2023, 3:05 pm
My 3 year old has been taking mineral oil for constipation. (We tried miralax for her and it didn't work. Did a good clean-out and have been using mineral oil and things are not perfect but much better.)

The thing is that she has this yellow not-poop stuff that comes out several times a day. I have no idea how I'm going to toilet train her. We were waiting until she was no longer constipated, but does she feel when this stuff comes out the same way she feels the need to use the bathroom normally?

Also, she's been having spells where her voice sounds hoarse for a few days at a time. Could this be related to the mineral oil?

Would love to hear from anyone else whose child took mineral oil and how it worked...

amother
Latte

Post Mon, Jul 03 2023, 3:43 pm
You shouldn't use mineral oil as it deprives the body of oil-soluble vitamins by absorbing them as it makes its way down the GI tract. It results in gross greasy stool and if used long term, results in lazy bowels that won't move without it. The not-poop you see is mineral oil leaking out of the body. Your dd is probably not feeling it till it leaks out, since it's literally just oozing out, not being expelled through muscular action. Also, did you check with a pediatrician? Because mineral oil should not be used by children under 6, and should not be taken for more than 7 days at a time.

When necessary, we rely on cooked prunes or prune juice. Works fast, has no unpleasant side effects, is a good source of iron, and suitable for all ages. Infants get the juice, maybe half a teaspoon, while older kids get juice and the fruit itself if they're willing. It's quite sweet so kids love it.

dena613

Post Mon, Jul 03 2023, 3:46 pm
Please speak to your pediatrician or a gastroenterologist, and don't ruin your daughter's bowels.
I have found that Miralax works well when you are consistent.

If the bowel movements are funny, that is a sign something is not right. Please do not continue this without medical input.

Refuah sheleimah to your daughter.

amother
OP

Post Mon, Jul 03 2023, 3:47 pm
dena613 wrote:
Please speak to your pediatrician or a gastroenterologist, and don't ruin your daughter's bowels.
I have found that Miralax works well when you are consistent.

If the bowel movements are funny, that is a sign something is not right. Please do not continue this without medical input.

Refuah sheleimah to your daughter.

We switched to mineral oil because her GI doctor told us to.

amother
OP

Post Mon, Jul 03 2023, 8:29 pm
Bumping now that it's clear that she's on mineral oil under a doctor's direction...

Is there really no one else out there who has a kid on it? I know Miralax is a lot more common...

amother
Crystal

Post Mon, Jul 03 2023, 9:33 pm
Not exactly to your question, but we just switched my 4 year old from miralax to magnesium citrate and it has been so much better for her; really night and day. Maybe you could ask your doctor about it. Garden of life makes a gummy that's star k certified.

amother
Oxfordblue

Post Mon, Jul 03 2023, 9:37 pm

amother
OP

Post Wed, Jul 05 2023, 9:31 pm
amother Oxfordblue wrote:

What is this?

It's so strange, it seems like this is an uncommon method of treating constipation in kids. No one else uses it?

I don't think we want to play with it right now, as she's FINALLY having a BM once every day or two. In the past she had gone a week or even more between BMs, was in a lot of pain, etc. I'm so relieved to have found something that works. But I'd really like to speak to someone else who has potty trained a kid while he/she was on it...
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics