Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> Israel related Inquiries & Aliyah Questions
How much did it cost you to make aliyah? Lift etc?
1  2  Next

amother
OP

Post Tue, Jul 04 2023, 9:19 am
We barely make ends meet in America. Its been a dream of ours to make aliyah to be close to family.
I would be able to keep my job since I work remote. DH would need the first few months to find a job in Israel. We don't have much in savings- $15,000. We own a car and I lease mine but am thinking of buying it when the lease is up. We dont own much furniture- 2 beds, a crib, a curio, kitchen table and some chairs. We have one child.

How much did it cost to make aliyah? To pay for a lift? Worth it to bring cars over? I am already an Israeli citizen but DH is not.

I think our quality of life would be better in Israel- we have all our siblings there. And my siblings that are there are all in kollel- they barely make ends meet but they live in places where others around them are in the same financial bracket. My SILs don't pay for school either. I pay $1000 a month for playgroup here. We were thinking for next Elul potentially. I already filled out everything on NBN and am waiting to hear back from someone. Just wanted to get some ideas here

amother
Moonstone

Post Tue, Jul 04 2023, 9:24 am
It's controversial, but I believe that there's an evangelical organization that helps pay moving costs for Jews making aliyah. I know people who took advantage of the offer a few years ago. We didn't, and I don't know if the program still exists.

amother
OP

Post Tue, Jul 04 2023, 9:28 am
amother Moonstone wrote:
It's controversial, but I believe that there's an evangelical organization that helps pay moving costs for Jews making aliyah. I know people who took advantage of the offer a few years ago. We didn't, and I don't know if the program still exists.

If you remember the name can you add it to your response?
How did you move all your stuff?

mollie21

Post Tue, Jul 04 2023, 9:34 am
Speak to NBN about the lift discount they give. I'm not sure if your Israeli status affects that aliyah benefit (as it will affect others), but I know they offer some sort of a discount. The taxes for it are still high, but I've only heard that second hand

amother
OP

Post Tue, Jul 04 2023, 9:36 am
mollie21 wrote:
Speak to NBN about the lift discount they give. I'm not sure if your Israeli status affects that aliyah benefit (as it will affect others), but I know they offer some sort of a discount. The taxes for it are still high, but I've only heard that second hand

Yes I plan on speaking to them. I was just curious for a rough ballpark estimate how much to expect- 5k? 7k? 10k? etc...

mollie21

Post Tue, Jul 04 2023, 9:40 am
I found this link with a quick Google search, maybe it can help you understand a bit more of the price breakdowns and what each part will cost.
https://www.nbn.org.il/making-.....uide/

amother
OP

Post Tue, Jul 04 2023, 9:45 am
mollie21 wrote:
I found this link with a quick Google search, maybe it can help you understand a bit more of the price breakdowns and what each part will cost.
https://www.nbn.org.il/making-.....uide/

Thanks. I'm not really understanding so well. I don't see how much it is for inland transportation to the port of exit. I also dont understand about bringing a car over and if its worth it with taxes and other fees

amother
Moonstone

Post Tue, Jul 04 2023, 9:55 am
We made aliyah like 8 years ago, so I don't know if our costs are still current. I think it was around $8k.

It almost never pays to bring a car.

essie14

Post Tue, Jul 04 2023, 9:56 am
Not worth it to bring your cars. Everyone I know who did this brought a minivan and they still said it wasn't worth it.
You're only allowed to bring fairly new cars which can be easily serviced here.

Do you for sure need a car when you start out?
If you're working remotely and your husband won't be working, you may be able to get by without one.
Maybe you'll live somewhere with good public transportation.
If you don't have much furniture and stuff it may not be worth bringing a lift.
I'd ask NBN if you can get a few additional suitcases. Maybe you can start sending a duffel bag in the months before you move with friends or family who are visiting.
You can buy everything you need here in Israel.
Maybe just buy some space on someone else's lift for sentimental items that you can't bring in a suitcase.

amother
OP

Post Tue, Jul 04 2023, 10:00 am
essie14 wrote:
Not worth it to bring your cars. Everyone I know who did this brought a minivan and they still said it wasn't worth it.
You're only allowed to bring fairly new cars which can be easily serviced here.

Do you for sure need a car when you start out?
If you're working remotely and your husband won't be working, you may be able to get by without one.
Maybe you'll live somewhere with good public transportation.
If you don't have much furniture and stuff it may not be worth bringing a lift.
I'd ask NBN if you can get a few additional suitcases. Maybe you can start sending a duffel bag in the months before you move with friends or family who are visiting.
You can buy everything you need here in Israel.
Maybe just buy some space on someone else's lift for sentimental items that you can't bring in a suitcase.

I will ask about the suitcases, good idea.
My husband would need a car, he is in the service industry. But he would need time to build up his business in Israel. We would be depending on my income until he would get busy
I thought it's illegal to share a lift with someone?

We don't have much furniture. Is it better to sell our stuff in America so we have extra cash? On the other hand I tell myself nothing is permanent... We can try Israel out and not lock ourselves in... thats why I am nervous also to schlep stuff there and then what if I hate it and want to come back? (I have anxiety and over think everything)

Iymnok

Post Tue, Jul 04 2023, 10:03 am
My parents didn’t make a lift, they brought two pallets. I know someone who brought a half lift.
I think you pay by weight.

amother
Moonstone

Post Tue, Jul 04 2023, 10:31 am
You don't have to fill a whole container, but you can't bring someone else's stuff and claim you are bringing it as your own property. (Though this happens all the time, I think.) Call the movers (are Dolphin and Sonigo still the main ones? I don't know.)

Israeli apartments are smaller than North American ones, closer to European standard. Much of your furniture will probably be too big for the space you have. (Twin beds here are narrower, you will have a hard time getting new sheets unless you order from Amazon.)

If you can sell your furniture and buy new here, that is a better option. Obviously, if stuff has sentimental value or is otherwise irreplaceable, bring it.

Don't come if you're thinking about turning around. Come with the plan that you will make things work, even if you have to be flexible.

Moving is a big job. Adjusting takes time. It's all worth it in the end, but feeling overwhelmed is part of the game. Totally normal for a big transition.

camp123

Post Tue, Jul 04 2023, 11:22 am
If your husband will need a car for work you'll have to buy one here. The taxes makes it really not worth to bring one. Cars, gas, insurance are all higher here. But, if you are making an American salary you should be OK here.

shabbatiscoming

Post Tue, Jul 04 2023, 11:35 am
amother OP wrote:
I will ask about the suitcases, good idea.
My husband would need a car, he is in the service industry. But he would need time to build up his business in Israel. We would be depending on my income until he would get busy
I thought it's illegal to share a lift with someone?

We don't have much furniture. Is it better to sell our stuff in America so we have extra cash? On the other hand I tell myself nothing is permanent... We can try Israel out and not lock ourselves in... thats why I am nervous also to schlep stuff there and then what if I hate it and want to come back? (I have anxiety and over think everything)

If you are making aliyah, you have to have the mindset that you are staying. If you have the mindset that its just to try and maybe it wont work, it wont work.

amother
Yellow

Post Tue, Jul 04 2023, 11:41 am
We made aliyah two years ago. I think our costs were about $1650. We split our lift. We used half to 2/3rds of a 20 foot. We also got money from two Christian organizations, we spoke to a rav first. Yes it’s not so legal but you’re moving to a country where every taxi driver makes minimum wage and the people we split it with were eligible for the lift without taxes too as their aliyah benefit but couldn’t afford one on their own so I wasn’t preventing tax dollars from getting to the government. I reported everything. B”h it worked just fine for us! There’s also partial lifts, ask dolphin about it.

grace413

Post Tue, Jul 04 2023, 11:50 am
shabbatiscoming wrote:
If you are making aliyah, you have to have the mindset that you are staying. If you have the mindset that its just to try and maybe it wont work, it wont work.

This is worth repeating.

It sounds like it's not worth bringing a lift. You don't have a lot of stuff. In addition to buying new here, there are many whatsapp group where people are giving away or selling thing very cheap.

Check with NBN but your child is probably already an Israeli citizen because you are. We came a long time ago but we were a "mishpachat olim" because I was already an Israeli but kids were born in the States.

Hatzlacha.

amother
OP

Post Tue, Jul 04 2023, 1:21 pm
shabbatiscoming wrote:

I am an anxious scaredy cat scared of commitment! Crying

amother
OP

Post Tue, Jul 04 2023, 1:21 pm
amother Yellow wrote:
We made aliyah two years ago. I think our costs were about $1650. We split our lift. We used half to 2/3rds of a 20 foot. We also got money from two Christian organizations, we spoke to a rav first. Yes it’s not so legal but you’re moving to a country where every taxi driver makes minimum wage and the people we split it with were eligible for the lift without taxes too as their aliyah benefit but couldn’t afford one on their own so I wasn’t preventing tax dollars from getting to the government. I reported everything. B”h it worked just fine for us! There’s also partial lifts, ask dolphin about it.

What is dolphin?
What is the name of the Christian organization?

amother
Moonstone

Post Tue, Jul 04 2023, 1:25 pm
amother OP wrote:
What is dolphin?
What is the name of the Christian organization?

Dolphin is a shipping company. Once you sign up with Nefesh B'Nefesh, you can join their groups, and you'll probably get lots of updated information.

amother
OP

Post Tue, Jul 04 2023, 1:26 pm
camp123 wrote:
If your husband will need a car for work you'll have to buy one here. The taxes makes it really not worth to bring one. Cars, gas, insurance are all higher here. But, if you are making an American salary you should be OK here.

My company would pay less if I move abroad, so I'd be making about $4000 USD a month at first but I would supplement with a second job until my husband starts making money
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> Israel related Inquiries & Aliyah Questions