Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Recipe Collection -> Cakes, Cookies, and Muffins
NY Times: The perfect chocolate chip cookie

Rutabaga

Post Thu, Jul 10 2008, 1:54 am
The New York Times has an interesting article about the perfect chocolate chip cookie.

Here is the link to the article and this is the recipe that goes with it.

Pizza

Post Thu, Jul 10 2008, 4:50 am
The kuntz of the perfection is twofold:

1. let the dough rest for 12 - 36 hours

2. Dont leave out the salt

There, I saved you all reading the whole article
There is a linked recipe, but I didnt see that it was so different from any others, I think the emphasis was on the above mentioned items.

B'tayavom

sarahd

Post Thu, Jul 10 2008, 5:12 am
The recipe was different in that it called for two kinds of flour - bread (!) and cake - and some sort of chocolate disk that probably costs ten times as much as chocolate chips.

The tip about leaving the dough to rest is probably a good idea.

chavaj

Post Thu, Jul 10 2008, 9:09 am
actually the article said the cookies were much much better when left for 36 hours versus left for 12 (or even 24) hours... also it said to sprinkle salt on top of the cookies right before baking as well as adding salt into the batter... I have to admit I have never heard of doing such a thing before... finally they stressed making the cookie a large, large size... the extra large cookies that sat for 36 hours develop three different textures within the cookie itself...

I never realized there was so much to be written about a chocolate chip cookie...

mama-star

Post Tue, Jul 15 2008, 9:51 am
I wasn't all that impressed. all that work for cookies? I have a great cc cookie recipe and it takes me 15 minutes!

shopaholic

Post Tue, Jul 15 2008, 9:58 am
For cake flour, I guess regular flour will do & for bread four - high gluten?

Clarissa

Post Tue, Jul 15 2008, 10:00 am
mama-star wrote:
I wasn't all that impressed. all that work for cookies? I have a great cc cookie recipe and it takes me 15 minutes!
When you say you weren't all that impressed, does that mean you've tried the recipe, and weren't impressed? Or you weren't impressed with reading the recipe?

To paraphrase mountaineer George Mallory, I will have to make this recipe, as written, because it's there. I can't do it this week (my husband is upset because I just baked three kinds of muffins) but I will do it.

Rutabaga

Post Tue, Jul 15 2008, 10:02 am
Clarissa wrote:
To paraphrase mountaineer George Mallory, I will have to make this recipe, as written, because it's there.

Please let us know how the cookies turn out and if they are worth the extra effort.

Clarissa

Post Tue, Jul 15 2008, 10:04 am
Absolutely.

Aidelmom

Post Tue, Jul 15 2008, 10:19 am
re the title of the thread- I just made chocolate chip cookies, and I think they came out pretty perfect. I used the recipe on the bag of chocolate chips- I'm pretty sure it did call for salt. lol I mixed it up in a bowl- it was easier than this recipe.

mama-star

Post Tue, Jul 15 2008, 10:33 am
clarissa, I meant I wasn't impressed from reading the recipe... Very Happy

rachel19977

Post Mon, Jul 21 2008, 3:33 pm
So, has anyone made this, and how did it come out?

Is it worth the extra effort to get the cake flour and bread flour?

superduper

Post Mon, Jul 21 2008, 3:48 pm
here is a recipe for your own cake flour
2 cups

1 3/4c all purpose fl
1/4 c cornstarch

on your own risk, never tried it so I cant take any responsibility.

Secbeb

Post Mon, Jul 21 2008, 10:32 pm
Ha, I read this article last week and decided to make CC cookies, letting them rest for 36 hours and sprinkling a little salt on top (I do this with watermelon, cantaloupe and honeydew because it brings out their sweetness.) I made the original nestle tollhouse cookies recipe, milchig with butter instead of margarine and pecans added besides the chocolate chips. I rested the dough in the fridge for 36 hours, sprinkled the salt, and the cookies were D-Y-N-A-M-O! I usually make good CC cookies, but there was just a bang to these. Awesome with a cold glass of milk. And a trick I learned to make the cookies look professional as well is to reserve some chocolate chips and just place 2 or 3 on top of the little balls of cookie dough right before you put them in the oven. Oh - and I didn't make gigantic cookies like the article said was popular nowadays, I'll have to try that next time.

nylon

Post Mon, Jul 21 2008, 10:36 pm
sarahd wrote:
The recipe was different in that it called for two kinds of flour - bread (!) and cake - and some sort of chocolate disk that probably costs ten times as much as chocolate chips.

The tip about leaving the dough to rest is probably a good idea.

honestly, I think fooling around with mixing bread and cake flour is unnecessary for cookies. It's just what professionals do because they don't use all purpose. Use all all-purpose flour; if you substitute AP for cake, and then add bread flour, there will be too much gluten.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Recipe Collection -> Cakes, Cookies, and Muffins