Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management -> Kosher Kitchen
Do you eat strawberries POLL:
Previous  1  2  3  4  Next

Do you eat strawberries?
No  
 4%  [ 16 ]
Only frozen with a hechsher  
 24%  [ 86 ]
Yes, we wash and check them properly  
 57%  [ 199 ]
Yes, we just rinse them  
 13%  [ 48 ]
Total Votes : 349

amother
Lavender

Post Thu, Jul 06 2023, 7:10 pm
#BestBubby wrote:
Than You can't eat strawberry jelly or jam either

Oh no! Sad

amother
OP

Post Thu, Jul 06 2023, 7:18 pm
amother [b]DarkYellow wrote:
If a bug is not visible to the naked eye you are not in transgression of a lav[/b]. Something that looks like a seed but is really a bug so is technically considered visible? A proper strawberry wash should take care of it

I think all these stringencies are a great way to keep kosher frozen food companies in business.

Afaik, this only applies to foods that are not known to be infested and rarely have bugs.

mrsnistar

Post Thu, Jul 06 2023, 7:34 pm
amother Brass wrote:

Grapes? Are you sure?

Lots of people don't eat grapes unless they've been washed a specific way, myself included. Thing is, I never have patience to do it, so haven't had grapes in a long time.

tweety1

Post Thu, Jul 06 2023, 7:36 pm
Frozen. And for fresh our lor told us to peel it.

amother
Phlox

Post Thu, Jul 06 2023, 7:36 pm
I cut the tops and swirl in soapy water and rinse under a strong stream.

This whole bug craze is pretty recent and I don't buy into it.

Microscopic bugs that can't even be seen with a naked eye don't gross me out. I'm sure if you'd put the air we breathe under a microscope you'll see bugs too.

tweety1

Post Thu, Jul 06 2023, 7:38 pm
mrsnistar wrote:
Lots of people don't eat grapes unless they've been washed a specific way, myself included. Thing is, I never have patience to do it, so haven't had grapes in a long time.

Likewise. It's a huge treat for my kids when I wash it. I usually make frozen grapes when I finally do get to wash it.

mrsnistar

Post Thu, Jul 06 2023, 7:38 pm
amother Jasmine wrote:
I follow the CRC's guidelines in washing and checking strawberries. It's time consuming, so I don't do it often.

I also eat frozen strawberries with a heckscher and blend them. You're allowed to eat blended bugs Tongue Out .

A lot of people won't eat them blended either, because blended just makes them בטל because it's not a whole beriya. However, there's a concept that ain mevatlin issur l'chatchila. Therefore, many hold that while it's ok to buy raspberry jam which is made from pureed raspberries which were made by a non-Jewish company (with a hechsher, of course), it's not good enough to just blend your own raspberries.
On the other hand, those that eat strawberries which they blended themselves are relying on it being a "sfek sfeika", meaning it's less certain that there are bugs there than on raspberries.

Every person should speak to their own rav about these intricate issues!

amother
Whitewash

Post Thu, Jul 06 2023, 7:46 pm
amother Phlox wrote:

Microscopic bugs that can't even be seen with a naked eye don't gross me out. I'm sure if you'd put the air we breathe under a microscope you'll see bugs too.

It's actually not a "recent craze". I've read autobiographies from pre-war Europe where they talk about bug issues, and how communities would not eat certain berries because they were known to have lots of insects.

amother
OP

Post Thu, Jul 06 2023, 7:50 pm
amother Phlox wrote:

The bug craze is as old as the torah, but as more produce became available for the general public to eat, we had to become more aware and educated on the checking process and which produce do or don't need to be checked.

amother
Forestgreen

Post Thu, Jul 06 2023, 7:52 pm
agreer wrote:
When I see my friends or people on insta using blackberries or raspberries I cry for them. They are known to have bugs

And yet I have been at simchas with reliable caterers where these were served. maybe they're grown hydroponically or in special enclosures.

amother
OP

Post Thu, Jul 06 2023, 7:55 pm
amother Forestgreen wrote:
And yet I have been at simchas with reliable caterers where these were served. maybe they're grown hydroponically or in special enclosures.

Blackberries and Raspberries? Never have I seen them at simchas.

amother
Sage

Post Thu, Jul 06 2023, 8:26 pm
I cut off tops, soak in soapy water, rub each berry under running water, and then repeat.

amother
Mintgreen

Post Thu, Jul 06 2023, 8:32 pm
agreer wrote:
When I see my friends or people on insta using blackberries or raspberries I cry for them. They are known to have bugs

Ha oy same!

amother
Mintgreen

Post Thu, Jul 06 2023, 8:33 pm
amother Forestgreen wrote:

Are you sure?

amother
Cappuccino

Post Thu, Jul 06 2023, 8:44 pm
#BestBubby wrote:
Than You can't eat strawberry jelly or jam either

Same with peanut butter and techina and chummus etc.
as I heard from someone-you know why the peanuts and seeds etc all sit in the warehouse for six months? Because you can eat dust. You can’t eat bugs.
If people knew how food was made…

amother
Bronze

Post Thu, Jul 06 2023, 10:20 pm
Wash, cut top, peel for fresh. I do it often.
I also eat frozen (only greenhouse grown with hechsher, not just checked)

snooper86

Post Thu, Jul 06 2023, 10:21 pm
Yes we eat and by wash and rinse we soak in soapy water for 10-20 minutes and then rinse and cut off the tops.

giftedmom

Post Thu, Jul 06 2023, 10:30 pm
I once cut the tops off some strawberries and after a couple seconds there were bugs crawling around the plate. Pretty gross but since then I actually know what to look out for and what they look like. I usually wait a bit after I cut the tops off to see if anything is moving. Hasn’t happened since.

amother
Lightcoral

Post Thu, Jul 06 2023, 10:38 pm
amother OP wrote:
Interesting, we were told to cut the tops first as there may be more bugs in that area.

We remove the leaves and wash. Then cut off the tops after, before eating.

BatZion

Post Thu, Jul 06 2023, 10:50 pm
My children get SO excited when we eat strawberries because IF we buy, it's only for a Shabbat treat because we clean according to "The Institute for Torah and the Land of Israel," which checked the state of strawberries and what happens when you wash them, I.e., what bugs can be viewed.
Their conclusion is that you need to cut the cop off with a bit of the fruit and then put the strawberries in soapy water and swish them around. Need to do the washes four times because from their checks, only after four washes were all strawberries completely clean...
I have got to be in a happy mood to be cleaning them strawberries like that...
It does make me shudder to think of the bugs we merrily chomped on growing up - my mother is unaware of all these things- strawberries, cabbage, brussel sprouts...oi.
Page 3 of 4 Previous  1  2  3  4  Next Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Household Management -> Kosher Kitchen