Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Fashion and Beauty -> Plus Size Fashion- Safe Haven
Would you wear a gown to wedding they've already seen
1  2  3  Next

amother
OP

Post Sun, Jul 09 2023, 2:49 pm
One of my husband's sisters is getting married. I'm plus size and currently breastfeeding but I have the perfect dress. I bought it for a wedding two years ago and his family saw me in it because they babysat my kids (his sisters and parents all babysat together). Can I wear it or will they think I'm cheap for not buying a new one?

amother
Aubergine

Post Sun, Jul 09 2023, 2:51 pm
If I was your sil I would think you're smart and lucky to not need to buy a whole new gown!

ra_mom

Post Sun, Jul 09 2023, 2:51 pm
I would wear it.

amother
Cappuccino

Post Sun, Jul 09 2023, 2:52 pm
Yes, you can wear it. If you feel good in it, then for sure you should wear it. They weren't even at the wedding with you.

amother
Feverfew

My mother has borrowed the same gown from someone for the past three family simchas.

My MIL bought a gown and has worn it 2-3 times already.

What's wrong with that?

amother
Mulberry

Wear it!!!

Oh my! Maybe they will think you are smart, practical and not wasteful.

(Maybe I run in a different crowd and my advice is off base)

amother
Yarrow

Post Sun, Jul 09 2023, 2:53 pm
Wear it!

NechaMom

Post Sun, Jul 09 2023, 2:55 pm
I wasn’t informed that gowns are only for one time use. I would wear it without hesitating and wouldn’t blink if my sil does the same.

twogees

Wear it. I have worn the same gown to a few of my sibling in laws weddings

amother
Lemonchiffon

I don't understand your question.
I bought a gown that I wore 4 times in a span of 3 years.

amother
Cerulean

Post Sun, Jul 09 2023, 2:58 pm
Agree with all of the above.
Definitely wear it

Highstrung

Post Sun, Jul 09 2023, 2:58 pm
twogees wrote:
Wear it. I have worn the same gown to a few of my sibling in laws weddings

I did the same . The simchos were even very close together and I still wore the same thing . If you look good in it and feel confident in it, that’s what counts.

flowerpower

Post Sun, Jul 09 2023, 3:00 pm
Wear it!

amother
Candycane

Post Sun, Jul 09 2023, 3:00 pm
amother OP wrote:
One of my husband's sisters is getting married. I'm plus size and currently breastfeeding but I have the perfect dress. I bought it for a wedding two years ago and his family saw me in it because they babysat my kids (his sisters and parents all babysat together). Can I wear it or will they think I'm cheap for not buying a new one?

Is there something particularly memorable about this gown? I'm plus sized, and tend to wear gowns in black and navy only that are very nice but I don't think anyone would remember two years out.

amother
Calendula

Post Sun, Jul 09 2023, 3:02 pm
I wore the same ankle-length dress to all my children's weddings, then had it shortened to street length and wore it as a regular guest to a few more. I intend to keep wearing it until I'm sick of it,which is unlikely to happen because I don't wear it more than twice a year or so. I'm imagining my grandchildren reminiscing after 120, "remember the dress Grandma wore to every family simcha for about 50 years?"

I like to get my money's worth out of my clothes. Anyone objects, too bad.

This being said, it wasn't a scooped-neck hot pink beaded satin sheath trimmed with marabou feathers and tinsel. You can wear something like that only once. Not that you should wear it at all, but YKWIM.

amother
OP

Post Sun, Jul 09 2023, 3:26 pm
I wouldn't think twice if it were for a friend, it's just that this is likely to be the only wedding my in-laws will ever host and we are the only ones with kids. We are going to be in all the pictures and it's going to be a very expensive wedding. I don't want my sister in law to think I'm not taking it seriously

scintilla

Post Sun, Jul 09 2023, 3:55 pm
I don't think there's any actual issue with it, but since it will be the only wedding, if you'll feel better about getting a new one and can afford it, why not at least look around?

In other words no, there's no problem with wearing it again - I know someone who wore the same gown to all her children's weddings because she loved it so much and it truly was a beautiful gown. But you know your in laws, will they be sensitive because it's the only wedding they're making? Or will you be self conscious the whole time wondering if anyone is remembering the gown?

If you can't afford a new one, can you tell your in laws something like, I'm so excited for the wedding, I have the most perfect gown and can't wait for you all to see it! I wore it to x's wedding so I know how much I love it!

bigsis144

Post Sun, Jul 09 2023, 4:05 pm
I wore the same silver gemach gown to two of my sisters’ weddings, within a year of each other.

We are all unabashedly poor and just want the others to look pretty within their budget!! 😄Wearing something new/unique is completely optional.

amother
OP

Post Sun, Jul 09 2023, 4:07 pm
I'm the poor one, single income with four children. This wedding will cost what I make in six months!

amother
Moccasin

Post Sun, Jul 09 2023, 4:08 pm
"This being said, it wasn't a scooped-neck hot pink beaded satin sheath trimmed with marabou feathers and tinsel. You can wear something like that only once. Not that you should wear it at all, but YKWIM"

Darn! I would have asked to borrow that one! Rolling Laughter
Page 1 of 3 1  2  3  Next Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Fashion and Beauty -> Plus Size Fashion- Safe Haven