Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> New York related Inquiries
Urgent ISO obgyn in Catskills (or reviews of Crystal Run dr)
1  2  Next

amother
OP

Post Tue, Jul 11 2023, 6:47 pm
I'm due in a little under a month and VERY RESPONSIBLY made plans to transfer my care to an obgyn in the country who delivers in Middletown and came well recommended by people I reached out to who live here year round. Scheduled appointment and gave them all my info a month or more ago. Called a week ago to confirm. All good. Felt very comfortable with my arrangements.

Got the email appointment confirmation yesterday and it shows a totally different address than the one I thougth I was going to. At least an hour away from where I'm staying. Apparently all the appointment scheduling goes through some central system so even if you're talking to someone in one office, about coming to that office, they can accidentally book you an hour away because all the computers are connected.

BUT it gets worse... I stooped to begging them to fix it somehow, and they said the recommended doctor is ONLY working out of the hour-away office for the next more than a month.

So my choices now are

1. Drive an hour each way to each appointment which would be at least once a week since I'm in the 9th month. This feels like a huge pain and also I didn't think I had that much time in my life though I guess technically I could find some since I work remotely and flexibly, my kids are in day camp, and my housekeeping can go to heck where it was heading anyway. But that's a LOT of time. And gas. And the place is in middle of nowhere, it's not even like I'm getting any kind of trip out of it. And what if at a doctor's apointment they decide to send me to the hospital? DH would be over an hour away!

2. See a doctor at the closer office who I've never heard of and know nothing about. This makes me nervous, I'm the kind of person who generally researches a lot about my medical providers.The practice that offered me a different doctor is Crystal Run, the desired location was Rock Hill. If you know anything about the doctors there for better or worse I would really really really love to know.

3. Beg anyone I can (that's you) for a recommendation of an obgyn who delivers in the Catskills, and then pray and beg them to take a new patient in the 9th month...

Help Sad

snowflake1

Post Tue, Jul 11 2023, 9:31 pm
Sounds tough
I don’t have any advice but maybe try calling Refua health line from Munro may be able to give you recommendations

amother
OP

Post Wed, Jul 12 2023, 4:55 pm
Bump.

A little desperate.

Meanwhile I have an appointment booked with the obgyn at Crystal Run Healthcare who delivers in Garnet Middletown (which I've heard is the best hospital in this area) but I don't know this doctor at all or anyone who's used her so I have so much anxiety about this...

amother
NeonPurple

Post Wed, Jul 12 2023, 5:16 pm
amother OP wrote:
Bump.

A little desperate.

Meanwhile I have an appointment booked with the obgyn at Crystal Run Healthcare who delivers in Garnet Middletown (which I've heard is the best hospital in this area) but I don't know this doctor at all or anyone who's used her so I have so much anxiety about this...
I delivered at Garnet with Crystal run. The OBs are so-so, some better than others they have tons of doctors so you won’t know who’ll be at delivery. They also have doctors that take night shifts in Garnet and never see patients in the office. The nurses at Garnet are incredible! They were almost like an doula. Overall it was more of a birthing center than hospital experience. Everyone gets full private att, tho they are a bit more busy in the summer. Highly recommend if you’re looking for a more natural experience, but if you’re more high risk than I don’t know if it’s good enough.

amother
OP

Post Wed, Jul 12 2023, 5:42 pm
BH I'm not high risk at all (otherwise I wouldn't have left the city, DH's job be darned) but I do like to think that there are competent doctors on call in case C"V anything goes south. You just really never know. What if something happens, who's making the decision whether you need an emergency C and who's making those cuts?!

Who do people use if they live here year round? There are frum communities up here and I'm assuming they have babies frequently and I can't imagine they do it without any competent medical care... I just don't personally know anyone in these communities so I don't know who to ask.

I'm so shaken up by the disappearance of the one recommendation that I had to go with. Praying everything goes fine (this is not my first, I already had a smooth natural birth B"H) but WHAT IF?!!

amother
Milk

Post Wed, Jul 12 2023, 6:41 pm
Call a referral hotline! This is what they do.

amother
OP

Post Wed, Jul 12 2023, 6:52 pm
amother Milk wrote:
Call a referral hotline! This is what they do.

Do you have a hotline number? Never did this before

amother
Milk

Post Wed, Jul 12 2023, 6:59 pm
amother OP wrote:
Do you have a hotline number? Never did this before

Chava, ATIME's women's health program (not for infertility): (718)475-1415

Refuah Helpline: (718) 782-2000

ECHO: (845) 425-9750

Chaim Medical Resource: (718) 492-8700

amother
OP

Post Wed, Jul 12 2023, 7:13 pm
Thank you so much!

amother
Olive

Post Wed, Jul 12 2023, 7:13 pm
amother OP wrote:
BH I'm not high risk at all (otherwise I wouldn't have left the city, DH's job be darned) but I do like to think that there are competent doctors on call in case C"V anything goes south. You just really never know. What if something happens, who's making the decision whether you need an emergency C and who's making those cuts?!

Who do people use if they live here year round? There are frum communities up here and I'm assuming they have babies frequently and I can't imagine they do it without any competent medical care... I just don't personally know anyone in these communities so I don't know who to ask.

I'm so shaken up by the disappearance of the one recommendation that I had to go with. Praying everything goes fine (this is not my first, I already had a smooth natural birth B"H) but WHAT IF?!!

I live in Orange County and travel to see a doc at NYU. Not interested in delivering in any of the hospitals in my “area”(like orange/garnet or the ones in monsey areas. (I would consider some of the jersey hospitals about an hour from us, but not an option with my insurance).

amother
OP

Post Wed, Jul 12 2023, 7:17 pm
amother Olive wrote:
I live in Orange County and travel to see a doc at NYU. Not interested in delivering in any of the hospitals in my “area”(like orange/garnet or the ones in monsey areas. (I would consider some of the jersey hospitals about an hour from us, but not an option with my insurance).

Nyu is like 2 hours away IF there's no traffic... that seems like a lot for appointments and also iffy for the birth (I probably wouldn't have made it last time if the hospital was 2 hours away plus traffic. What if the bridges are backed up?!)

amother
Nasturtium

Post Wed, Jul 12 2023, 7:46 pm
Boro park obgyn has a branch upstate they delivers in Harris

Have you heard of them? It would not be everyones first choice in the city....

amother
OP

Post Wed, Jul 12 2023, 8:10 pm
amother Nasturtium wrote:

On a different thread someone said they only see their city patients who are vacationing here and deliver in Brooklyn. But if they've expanded to deliver upstate and see upstate patients then I'd certainly like to hear more about them.

amother
NeonPurple

Post Wed, Jul 12 2023, 8:22 pm
amother OP wrote:

I actually believe I might’ve ended up with a C-section had the doctor not been so laid back and patient. I had to be induced, the first 12 hours my body did not react at all to the pitocin so they took me off and let me sleep for the night before trying again the next morning. A more high risk doctor might’ve taken me straight to the OR.

amother
Olive

Post Wed, Jul 12 2023, 8:23 pm
amother OP wrote:
Nyu is like 2 hours away IF there's no traffic... that seems like a lot for appointments and also iffy for the birth (I probably wouldn't have made it last time if the hospital was 2 hours away plus traffic. What if the bridges are backed up?!)

So from me it’s about 1 1/2 hours away (true, without the traffic...), and yes, I devote full days to appts. But worth it for me. Be’H I’ll make it there for the birth, just might spend a lot of $$$ on car services for false labor situations...
I’m not saying you should travel back to your original doc if this doesn’t work for you, but you asked what ppl living in that area do- some are ok with the drs there and then plenty travel. (My friend from gibbers traveled to Columbia). Also for me, hospital was even more important than anything as I’ve had 2 NICU baby’s in the past and want to know that in case needed again I have a good level NICU,

amother
Purple

Post Wed, Jul 12 2023, 8:26 pm
amother Nasturtium wrote:

I don’t think they deliver upstate. They just have an office here for appts.

amother
Ultramarine

Post Wed, Jul 12 2023, 10:10 pm
amother OP wrote:

I dont want to scare you but I was in aim byisroel with 2 women that live in monticello year round that gave birth in Orange regional. one of them had a horror delivery story there that was completely the hospital and docs fault The second woman didnt have a great experience either.

amother
OP

Post Wed, Jul 12 2023, 11:20 pm
For me my original doc is 3 hours away so that's REALLY not an option.

I heard a lot of people from Fallsburg use doctors in Monsey but as far as I know Monsey uses Good Samaritan hospital which I never heard anything great about.

I guess you never know but I have no reason to expect to need a nicu because I'm already pretty much full term with no issues. But the reason I was going to go to Middletown instead of Harris is that just in case you do need something, Middletown has a level 2 nicu (I don't know what the levels mean) while Harris doesn't seem to have any at all. No idea what they do if a baby is born with issues at Harris Confused

I'm just a little worried about planning to travel to a city hospital because my last labor was pretty short. I know odds are pretty good that won't happen again but if it does then I'd be giving birth on a highway somewhere probably.

Amother from Aim biyisroel what kind of issues did those people have - is it something that if I know what it is then I can be on the lookout to try to avoid it? And how recently was this?

amother
Ultramarine

Post Wed, Jul 12 2023, 11:32 pm
amother OP wrote:
For me my original doc is 3 hours away so that's REALLY not an option.

I heard a lot of people from Fallsburg use doctors in Monsey but as far as I know Monsey uses Good Samaritan hospital which I never heard anything great about.

I guess you never know but I have no reason to expect to need a nicu because I'm already pretty much full term with no issues. But the reason I was going to go to Middletown instead of Harris is that just in case you do need something, Middletown has a level 2 nicu (I don't know what the levels mean) while Harris doesn't seem to have any at all. No idea what they do if a baby is born with issues at Harris Confused

I'm just a little worried about planning to travel to a city hospital because my last labor was pretty short. I know odds are pretty good that won't happen again but if it does then I'd be giving birth on a highway somewhere probably.

Amother from Aim biyisroel what kind of issues did those people have - is it something that if I know what it is then I can be on the lookout to try to avoid it? And how recently was this?

This was recently 5 months ago. Wasn’t her doc.Hatzola took her in cause they didn’t think she would make it to good Sam. The doctor on duty told her to push, she said ok will wait for a contraction, doctor ordered the nurses to pick her up against her will to the operating room and promptly did a c section when she was fully dilated for no reason. After the c section she complained that she had trouble breathing, hospital Kept saying it’s normal after a c. They discharged her that way. Hatzola was called. They took her to Columbia where she was diagnosed with pneumonia.

amother
Milk

Post Wed, Jul 12 2023, 11:34 pm
amother Ultramarine wrote:
This was recently 5 months ago. Wasn’t her doc.Hatzola took her in cause they didn’t think she would make it to good Sam. The doctor on duty told her to push, she said ok will wait for a contraction, doctor ordered the nurses to pick her up against her will to the operating room and promptly did a c section when she was fully dilated for no reason. After the c section she complained that she had trouble breathing, hospital Kept saying it’s normal after a c. They discharged her that way. Hatzola was called. They took her to Columbia where she was diagnosed with pneumonia.

OMG
How is this legal?!?
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> New York related Inquiries