Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Vacation and Traveling
Severe nausea and vomiting when travelling by car
1  2  3  Next

amother
OP

Post Mon, Jul 17 2023, 12:11 pm
Any helpful tips? We’ve tried everything: Dramamine, wrist bands, special glasses…

It’s only gotten worse the last two years and he’s almost 12 years old! The nausea can continue even hours after travelling.

Anyone experience this and found a solution?

cbsp

Post Mon, Jul 17 2023, 12:39 pm
Oysh, it's so hard.

I was that kid and it only improved somewhat once I started driving. I'm mostly ok as a driver but even being a passenger improved afterwards as well.

Have you looked into OT? We just started that with DS9 who inherited it from me...

B'hatzlacha!

amother
OP

Post Mon, Jul 17 2023, 12:55 pm
cbsp wrote:
Oysh, it's so hard.

I was that kid and it only improved somewhat once I started driving. I'm mostly ok as a driver but even being a passenger improved afterwards as well.

Have you looked into OT? We just started that with DS9 who inherited it from me...

B'hatzlacha!

Thanks for the response. I did not look into OT. I will definitely do that. How does that help?

Cheiny

Post Mon, Jul 17 2023, 12:57 pm
amother OP wrote:
Any helpful tips? We’ve tried everything: Dramamine, wrist bands, special glasses…

It’s only gotten worse the last two years and he’s almost 12 years old! The nausea can continue even hours after travelling.

Anyone experience this and found a solution?

Make sure he only looks ahead during the car rides. I was told that looking out the side windows will cause more nausea.

cbsp

Post Mon, Jul 17 2023, 1:02 pm
amother OP wrote:
Thanks for the response. I did not look into OT. I will definitely do that. How does that help?

In addition to the 5 senses we know about there are other senses including vestibular and proprioceptive. My lay-person understanding is that those senses contribute to a person's ability to balance and know where they are in space.

DS actually has some vision issues related to muscle weakness and the idea is that if we work on the occulo motor systems the related symptoms will lessen or be more manageable (as per the suggestion above with regard to eye movement while in a car)

amother
OP

Post Mon, Jul 17 2023, 1:03 pm
Cheiny wrote:
Make sure he only looks ahead during the car rides. I was told that looking out the side windows will cause more nausea.

He doesn’t move or talk at all during car rides.

amother
OP

Post Mon, Jul 17 2023, 1:10 pm
cbsp wrote:
In addition to the 5 senses we know about there are other senses including vestibular and proprioceptive. My lay-person understanding is that those senses contribute to a person's ability to balance and know where they are in space.

DS actually has some vision issues related to muscle weakness and the idea is that if we work on the occulo motor systems the related symptoms will lessen or be more manageable (as per the suggestion above with regard to eye movement while in a car)

Interesting. Will look into it. Tx.

amother
Oldlace

Post Mon, Jul 17 2023, 1:15 pm
amother OP wrote:

Can he sit in the front seat yet? That used to help me. I would get so sick that my mom would sit in the back so I can be in the front

amother
OP

Post Mon, Jul 17 2023, 1:17 pm
amother Oldlace wrote:
Can he sit in the front seat yet? That used to help me. I would get so sick that my mom would sit in the back so I can be in the front

He’s quite petite for his age. I will definitely let him sit in the front once he gets a little bigger. Right now he sits in center of the back so he can look straight out the front window.

B'Syata D'Shmya

Post Mon, Jul 17 2023, 1:21 pm
So I suffer terribly from moving sickness, even with medication. My dh loves bus tours, but I can only do that if I am in the front seat. On the rare occassion when we book bus tours, I do it in advance, - like the first one and specify my need for front seat which they are usually nice about. I offer to pay more and leave a nice tip. I do my best to be super nice to everyone, helpful etc and of course we make sure to be the first on the bus.

The problem is the others on the tour who think I'm a prima donna. Once they forced me in a nasty way to the back, the bullying couple that took the front seat kept looking back, playing on their phone and walking around (when you have motion sickness, reading, looking at your phone and the like makes the sickness worse - they clearly didnt need the front seat, it was just to be mean. And yes they were Jews. I turned green, one woman took one look at me and said she finally believed me,but the bullying couple scared her.

I was sick with a migraine (real migraine, invalid- stuck in room for 2 days throwing up on the floor, not the type that people walk around saying "Oh I have a migraine" when they are clearly functioning) and the bullying couple wouldnt give in she kept saying she is going to teach me a lesson. When the tour organizer spoke up for me, she bullied him too. We had to skip the rest of the tour and stayed in our room.

Do people really not understand that moving sickness is a real thing and asking for the front seat is not a luxury?

Cheiny

Post Mon, Jul 17 2023, 1:30 pm
amother OP wrote:

But have you made sure he doesn’t look out the passenger windows to the side, which is what passengers usually do?

amother
OP

Post Mon, Jul 17 2023, 1:37 pm
Cheiny wrote:
But have you made sure he doesn’t look out the passenger windows to the side, which is what passengers usually do?

He definitely doesn’t. He is afraid to move or look anywhere but ahead bec he knows what will happen if he does. He won’t even pass anything to anyone.

amother
OP

Post Mon, Jul 17 2023, 1:39 pm
B'Siyata DiShamaya wrote:
So I suffer terribly from moving sickness, even with medication. My dh loves bus tours, but I can only do that if I am in the front seat. On the rare occassion when we book bus tours, I do it in advance, - like the first one and specify my need for front seat which they are usually nice about. I offer to pay more and leave a nice tip. I do my best to be super nice to everyone, helpful etc and of course we make sure to be the first on the bus.

The problem is the others on the tour who think I'm a prima donna. Once they forced me in a nasty way to the back, the bullying couple that took the front seat kept looking back, playing on their phone and walking around (when you have motion sickness, reading, looking at your phone and the like makes the sickness worse - they clearly didnt need the front seat, it was just to be mean. And yes they were Jews. I turned green, one woman took one look at me and said she finally believed me,but the bullying couple scared her.

I was sick with a migraine (real migraine, invalid- stuck in room for 2 days throwing up on the floor, not the type that people walk around saying "Oh I have a migraine" when they are clearly functioning) and the bullying couple wouldnt give in she kept saying she is going to teach me a lesson. When the tour organizer spoke up for me, she bullied him too. We had to skip the rest of the tour and stayed in our room.

Do people really not understand that moving sickness is a real thing and asking for the front seat is not a luxury?

I’m so sorry. That is awful!

One interesting thing is that he is totally fine on a school bus. He has no problem BH going to school and even on trips on a bus!

cbsp

Post Mon, Jul 17 2023, 1:42 pm
amother OP wrote:
I’m so sorry. That is awful!

One interesting thing is that he is totally fine on a school bus. He has no problem BH going to school and even on trips on a bus!

That's super interesting. Buses for me were incredibly difficult, the combination of poor suspension (sitting over the wheel!) and smell of fuel would trigger the motion sickness immediately!

amother
Hosta

Post Mon, Jul 17 2023, 1:49 pm
I have this. its worse when I’m in an EV. I’d advise best thing to do is drive a regular car (gas), something with the weight. EVs feel like flying lol.
I’m assuming this is not ur scenario but just putting the tip out there.
Try to always have air blowing on him or access to a fan or open window. Basically lots and lots of ventilation.
Lots of cold water. Give him bags for vomit and pack pretzels or foods that are easy on the stomach.
Pack him a neck pillow so he can rest without getting dizzy.

amother
OP

Post Mon, Jul 17 2023, 1:53 pm
amother Hosta wrote:
I have this. its worse when I’m in an EV. I’d advise best thing to do is drive a regular car (gas), something with the weight. EVs feel like flying lol.
I’m assuming this is not ur scenario but just putting the tip out there.
Try to always have air blowing on him or access to a fan or open window. Basically lots and lots of ventilation.
Lots of cold water. Give him bags for vomit and pack pretzels or foods that are easy on the stomach.
Pack him a neck pillow so he can rest without getting dizzy.

The blowing cold air definitely does help a little. We all take sweaters in the car bec we make it really cold for him. He has bags for vomit. Unfortunately uses them way too often. He refuses to eat bec he knows he will vomit. Even after travelling it takes him hours until he feels like he can nibble on some pretzels or crackers.

HonesttoGod

Post Mon, Jul 17 2023, 2:10 pm
Poor kid that’s so rough.
I don’t have any suggestions really. Maybe chewing gum or sucking candy? It’s basic but it helps me.
Or ask your dr for Zofran for the times you absolutely must go on long car rides.

amother
Slategray

Post Mon, Jul 17 2023, 2:31 pm
Same here! I have a few kids who vomit every time we go in the car. It's so hard especially this time of year 😞
Wish I had something to offer!

leaf

Post Mon, Jul 17 2023, 2:58 pm
I know you said that dramamine doesnt work for him. Did you you try giving it to him in advance? If I wait until I get on the bus, im in trouble. It I take in advance it works wonders...

amother
OP

Post Mon, Jul 17 2023, 3:00 pm
leaf wrote:
I know you said that dramamine doesnt work for him. Did you you try giving it to him in advance? If I wait until I get on the bus, im in trouble. It I take in advance it works wonders...

We do give it in advance and it used to help a little. It doesn’t anymore.
Page 1 of 3 1  2  3  Next Recent Topics