Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Chinuch, Education & Schooling
Bnos derech yisroel monsey
1  2  Next

amother
OP

Post Wed, Jul 19 2023, 5:41 pm
Hi all,

I know I’m really late in the game.
Just found out we will be moving to monsey this year, (we were supposed to move next year)

Do I still stand a chance getting my kids into BDY?
And I would like to get any info on the school (although we’ll probably send to that school because we’re neutral chassidish, but I heard about bnos bina too, and any insight is welcome)

amother
Viola

Post Wed, Jul 19 2023, 5:53 pm
Don't have your hopes up high for getting accepted for this year, it's extremely late in the game.
BDY is neutral school, all different types of kids. Some kids are very sheltered and exposed to nothing, some are exposed to a lot. All types of parents, from shpitzels to quite modern and everything in between.
They did crack down lately about rules and have become more selective with who they accept.
I'd send to BDY over Bnos Binah, the parent body is a bit more fine at BDY.
Loads of luck.
There are other schools that are also considered neutral chassidish but have a more mainstream chassidish parent body. Those schools don't allow driving.
Bais Shifra Miriam
Sanz
Bais Brocha
Vein
The new Bobov has a large crowd of neutral chassidish.

amother
OP

Post Wed, Jul 19 2023, 6:12 pm
What about Bnos bina?
Any chance of getting accepted there?
Pros and cons of that school?

amother
Pistachio

Post Wed, Jul 19 2023, 6:22 pm
BDY parent body is definitely better.

And you should still be able to get your child in. Rabbi Moskowitz is very pro accepting kids.

That’s the reason he started the school.

amother
Viola

Post Wed, Jul 19 2023, 7:19 pm
amother OP wrote:
What about Bnos bina?
Any chance of getting accepted there?
Pros and cons of that school?

Bnos Bina is also considered neutral, but the parent body there is not so fine compared to BDY. BDY is more of a solid stable school.

amother
Viola

Post Wed, Jul 19 2023, 7:21 pm
amother Pistachio wrote:
BDY parent body is definitely better.

And you should still be able to get your child in. Rabbi Moskowitz is very pro accepting kids.

That’s the reason he started the school.

Yeah, he's pro accepting, but it is very late to register for this coming school year.
They've also become more selective about who they accept, but if you're a fine chassidish family, you shouldn't have an issue.

amother
Pear

Post Wed, Jul 19 2023, 7:35 pm
It's interesting that you would say that the parent body is more refined in bdy. Many people I know switched to bnos bina (myself included) because they wanted a more refined parent body. Unless something drastically changed since, I would say it's exactly the opposite. The level of learning and remedial support in bnos bina also far surpass what my daughter got in bdy.

amother
Viola

Post Wed, Jul 19 2023, 8:17 pm
amother Pear wrote:
It's interesting that you would say that the parent body is more refined in bdy. Many people I know switched to bnos bina (myself included) because they wanted a more refined parent body. Unless something drastically changed since, I would say it's exactly the opposite. The level of learning and remedial support in bnos bina also far surpass what my daughter got in bdy.

Yeah, Bnos Bina is on a higher learning level.
I know families that were sent from BDY and are currently in Bnos Bina. They definitely accept more of a chilled (& snobby big shots) crowd then BDY currently does.

amother
Pear

Post Wed, Jul 19 2023, 8:35 pm
[quote="amother Viola" They definitely accept more of a chilled (& snobby big shots) crowd then BDY currently does.[/quote]

Nice way to describe an entire parent body. Really classy.
Whatever. It's the nine days and I regret getting into this.They are both wonderful neutral schools with the goal of being mechanech precious yiddishe girls. The parents who send to either school have the same goal too.

amother
Viola

Post Wed, Jul 19 2023, 8:58 pm
amother Pear wrote:
Nice way to describe an entire parent body. Really classy.
Whatever. It's the nine days and I regret getting into this.They are both wonderful neutral schools with the goal of being mechanech precious yiddishe girls. The parents who send to either school have the same goal too.

In no way am I describing an entire parent body.
And no one said that they're both not wonderful schools. Sorry you take offense. OP wants information and she's entitled to the truth so she can make a decision that's best for them. It doesn't mean anything personal towards you.

amother
Yolk

Post Wed, Jul 19 2023, 9:02 pm
I know a few families who send to bnos binah. One pulled out of our more chassidish school because they wanted more discipline and higher standards. From all I've heard it's a Very warm school with a decent education.
The families I know are wonderful and normal, but all young families, if that makes a difference.

amother
Pear

Post Wed, Jul 19 2023, 9:10 pm
OP, let me tell you the pros and cons of bnos binah based on my personal experience as a parent who sends there. Do with it what you want. Ask around and hear from others what they're experiences are. They might be different from mine.
Pros:
Very warm environment
Smaller school (for now)
Well trained staff
Lots of tochendige programs
Outstanding curriculum and remedial dept
Cons:
A mixed crowd with a range from covered shaitel to more modern/trendy. Not a con for everyone but for some it is.
Tuition is very expensive

amother
OP

Post Wed, Jul 19 2023, 9:22 pm
What does “snobbish” mean?
I’m not a fancy person and don’t feel comfortable around fancy snobbish people. Oh no.

amother
Viola

Post Wed, Jul 19 2023, 9:28 pm
amother OP wrote:
What does “snobbish” mean?
I’m not a fancy person and don’t feel comfortable around fancy snobbish people. Oh no.

You'll find snobs in every school but some attract more than others. You don't need to have anything to do with them, I'm sure you'll find people you're comfortable with.

amother
OP

Post Wed, Jul 19 2023, 9:35 pm
amother Viola wrote:
You'll find snobs in every school but some attract more than others. You don't need to have anything to do with them, I'm sure you'll find people you're comfortable with.

I don’t want my kids to be in a “snobbish” fancy environment! Is that true for bnos bina? I need a simple good school for kids of a chassidish dad and non chassidish mom. Not fancy people at all.

amother
Viola

Post Wed, Jul 19 2023, 9:43 pm
amother OP wrote:
I don’t want my kids to be in a “snobbish” fancy environment! Is that true for bnos bina? I need a simple good school for kids of a chassidish dad and non chassidish mom. Not fancy people at all.

What ages are your kids? Kesser Bais Yakkov might be a good fit.
If you're comfortable saying which school your kids are coming from, maybe we can tell you which school is most similar.

amother
OP

Post Wed, Jul 19 2023, 9:47 pm
I heard KBY is hard to get into. And I’m super late in the game. Should I give it a shot?

My kids are going into first and third grade

amother
OP

Post Wed, Jul 19 2023, 9:49 pm
My kids are in satmar now. My husband is Satmar.

I’m also worried that schools are going to give us a hard time because me and my husband are an unusual combo

amother
Viola

Post Wed, Jul 19 2023, 9:49 pm
amother OP wrote:
I heard KBY is hard to get into. And I’m super late in the game. Should I give it a shot?

My kids are going into first and third grade

It's hard to get in to most schools, you can always try your luck. If not for this coming school year, maybe for next year.
Bais Rochel may also be a good option.

amother
Periwinkle

Post Wed, Jul 19 2023, 9:51 pm
KBY is super hard to get into. Not sure if it’s worth it to try. BDY is probably your best bet. If you’re a decent, upstanding family they will most likely take you, even late in the game.
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics