Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> The Social Scene -> Entertainment
Oppenheimer or Barbie?
1  2  3  Next

Oppenheimer or Barbie?
Oppenheimer  
 13%  [ 22 ]
Barbie  
 29%  [ 50 ]
Both  
 8%  [ 15 ]
Neither  
 17%  [ 29 ]
I don’t watch movies  
 30%  [ 51 ]
Total Votes : 167

amother
OP

Post Thu, Jul 20 2023, 3:01 pm
Sorry couldn’t resist.

Which movie are you more interested to see?

hodeez

Post Thu, Jul 20 2023, 3:07 pm
I think Barbie will be used as DEI training. If I went to movie theaters I would see Nolan's movie

Cheiny

Post Thu, Jul 20 2023, 3:14 pm
amother OP wrote:
Sorry couldn’t resist.

Which movie are you more interested to see?

Lol, the differences between the 2 couldn’t be bigger.

amother
DarkKhaki

Post Thu, Jul 20 2023, 4:08 pm
What’s the allure of Oppenheimer? He had an iffy relationship with his Judaism and from what I have read it’s not discussed in the movie. He was a brilliant absentminded professor. I don’t think he was as charismatic as Enrico Fermi or some of the other people who worked on the bomb. Steve Sheinkin has a book about this. He can make anything sound amazing and like a cliffhanger. And his book called “Bomb” was his most boring book, in my opinion.

Chickensoupprof

Post Thu, Jul 20 2023, 4:23 pm
None I’m interested in the new Pixar movie called Elements or something… I give one reason: PIXAR

sequoia

Post Thu, Jul 20 2023, 4:26 pm
Barbie

amother
Aster

Post Thu, Jul 20 2023, 4:33 pm
Oppenheimer - I might learn something interesting that I didn’t know… I’m not going to learn anything from Barbie LOL

Amarante

Post Thu, Jul 20 2023, 4:41 pm
They are such completely different movies.

Oppenheimer has been hailed as a masterpiece - both in subject matter and execution. It is a serious film intended for adults who are interested in adult movies - and not of the s*exual kind.

Barbie is a fun movie - I look forward to reveling in the wonderful production values - the sets and the costumes. The storyline is besides the point to me as it will be a feast for the eyes.

SG18

Post Thu, Jul 20 2023, 6:09 pm
I've heard that Oppenheimer has a three hour runtime. That's way too long without a bathroom break! Gonna wait until I can watch it at home.

I'd like to see Barbie in theaters, I think it would be fun.

pearliegal

Post Thu, Jul 20 2023, 7:18 pm
Barbie, the trailer looks so cool, though I read that they are pushing a lot of transgender storylines.

amother
Peru

Post Thu, Jul 20 2023, 8:02 pm
Would the Barbie movie be appropriate for a 10 year old, or only for adults?

pearliegal

Post Thu, Jul 20 2023, 8:04 pm
amother Peru wrote:

If they are pushing transgender stories I don’t think it’s appropriate.

happy2bhere

Post Thu, Jul 20 2023, 8:30 pm
Neither I’d rather see the new Indiana Jones movie.

amother
Strawberry

Post Mon, Jul 24 2023, 9:05 pm
Barbie was amazing!
I really didn’t feel like it was so “woke.” Yes it talks about patriarchy and sexism but that’s the reality of the world we live on. It didn’t feel indoctrinating or extreme. It was also moving and emotional. One of the best movies I’ve seen in a long time.

wiki

Post Mon, Jul 24 2023, 9:17 pm
Barbie is a very feminist movie, very much about a toy world where women run absolutely everything and the men do nothing but "beach" until the Kens learn that in the real world they run things and then they try to run the Barbieland too. And they do so absurdly.

So in that sense it might be "woke."

But it's not woke in the sense that it's deeply cis-hetero normative. Barbie's definitely not aspiring to become a man and Ken is not aspiring to become a woman. The relationships that drive the plot are all straight ones.

After all, this is a work contending with the intellectual property of the mid-twentieth century, with the doll of the 1960s and 70s and 80s and 90s. Lots of commentary about women having jobs or the expectation that they have perfect bodies (and apparently it's a very feminist work in that sense); not so much about gay or trans stuff.

And sure, the Barbies themselves are racially diverse, as Barbie dolls have been for a little while, but the plot isn't about progressive racial justice.

(I'm deeply interested in reading all about the Barbie discourse but have zero interest in actually watching the film. Same about Oppenheimer. They both look like pretty good movies but I'm not a movie watcher. And Oppenheimer is three hours long with extended and graphic bedroom scenes, so not for me.)

Last edited by wiki on Mon, Jul 24 2023, 9:28 pm; edited 1 time in total

naomi2

Post Mon, Jul 24 2023, 9:23 pm
Barbie was a horrible movie. I couldnt even get through the whole thing. It was as woke as you can get, very overtly and the plot and the characters and the script were pretty bad. Not cute or funny or anything sorry I give it zero stars and definitely don't bring kids. It's rated PG-13.

wiki

Post Mon, Jul 24 2023, 9:23 pm
amother Peru wrote:

Haven't seen it but it's PG-13 because, apparently, there are a number of adult jokes and innuendos, many surrounding the gag that the characters cast as Barbie and Ken do not have any genitalia.

It's not for children. Or at least not for sheltered innocent children like most frum kids are.

amother
Strawberry

Post Mon, Jul 24 2023, 9:24 pm
naomi2 wrote:
Barbie was a horrible movie. I couldnt even get through the whole thing. It was as woke as you can get, very overtly and the plot and the characters and the script were pretty bad. Not cute or funny or anything sorry I give it zero stars and definitely don't bring kids. It's rated PG-13.

Why is it so woke to point out sexism in the world? In the end equality is restored after it being skewed in both directions. Why is that woke?

hodeez

Post Mon, Jul 24 2023, 9:30 pm
Apparently there's a gratuitous scx scene in Oppenheimer so I'll have to retract my previous statement and replace it with: Hollywood is trash.

Last edited by hodeez on Tue, Jul 25 2023, 11:32 am; edited 1 time in total

amother
Firethorn

Post Mon, Jul 24 2023, 9:36 pm
Uch neither
Page 1 of 3 1  2  3  Next Recent Topics