Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Recipe Collection -> Challah and Breads
To get a bread machine, or not?

fbc

Post Sun, Jul 30 2023, 10:45 pm
I've recently been really wanting a bread machine. I love to have delicious homemade challah for shabbos, but the kneading is really quite the job! I'm having an internal conflict... I know ultimately I have to be the one to decide, but I figured I'd come here for other opinions/as a springboard. Here are the 2 sides:

1) having a bread machine would make it so much easier to have homemade challah. (nothing wrong with store bought, but would definitely choose homemade over it, it's just more special to me)

2) I feel like putting all your efforts, work, strength, love into kneading the challah is the whole point! To me I feel like " how much schar do I get for just throwing ingredients into a machine and having the machine do the work for me? The machine should get the schar!"

I'm conflicted! What are your thoughts?

smss

Post Sun, Jul 30 2023, 10:47 pm
Do you like to make 5lb at a time? A bread machine is not large enough for that

fbc

Post Sun, Jul 30 2023, 10:50 pm
smss wrote:
Do you like to make 5lb at a time? A bread machine is not large enough for that

Ooh I did not even realize that! Yes I definitely do. I guess that answers my question😂 thanks!

lucky14

Post Sun, Jul 30 2023, 10:53 pm
Really you find it such a big deal to make it without a machine? The only thing that I find annoying it how long it takes from start to finish. Did you ever try standing on a stool while you knead? I find it makes it easier being a little higher up.

fbc

Post Sun, Jul 30 2023, 10:57 pm
lucky14 wrote:
Really you find it such a big deal to make it without a machine? The only thing that I find annoying it how long it takes from start to finish. Did you ever try standing on a stool while you knead? I find it makes it easier being a little higher up.

Such a big deal? No. I didn't say that. I said I'm wondering if I should get a bread machine just to make it a bit easier on me. As a busy mom I try to do what I can to run an efficient, smoothe running home, and I was just in conflict about whether this would be a worthwhile thing for me. That's all Smile

lucky14

Post Sun, Jul 30 2023, 11:03 pm
fbc wrote:
Such a big deal? No. I didn't say that. I said I'm wondering if I should get a bread machine just to make it a bit easier on me. As a busy mom I try to do what I can to run an efficient, smoothe running home, and I was just in conflict about whether this would be a worthwhile thing for me. That's all Smile

Lol sorry I didn’t mean that so seriously. I have a tiny kitchen so to me any extra appliance has to be seriously worth it for me to consider purchasing it so that’s where my reaction was coming from. A bread machine never really was one I ever considered even though we have homemade challah every week (for money reasons and kitchen space reasons. )

lkwdlady

Post Sun, Jul 30 2023, 11:03 pm
I have a Bosch for making challah dough but recently I’ve been thinking of getting a bread machine and using that instead. From what I heard, it’s a little easier. If one batch of dough isn’t enough I can do it 2x since it seems so easy. I’m just not sure if the could justify buying a bread machine since I already have a Bosch…

chocolate moose

Post Mon, Jul 31 2023, 7:29 pm
to make a really big amount like 5 lbs of flour, you just run 2 or 3 cycles. t's not that big a deal. iused to do that regularly

a bread machine is much cheaper than a heavy duty mixer or magic mill. yhou could even buy 2 of them to run at the same time.

lkwdlady

Post Mon, Jul 31 2023, 10:04 pm
chocolate moose wrote:
to make a really big amount like 5 lbs of flour, you just run 2 or 3 cycles. t's not that big a deal. iused to do that regularly

a bread machine is much cheaper than a heavy duty mixer or magic mill. yhou could even buy 2 of them to run at the same time.

Do you take challah if you combine the doughs?
Have you baked in the bread machine or do you take it out to rise and braid?

esther7

Post Mon, Jul 31 2023, 11:27 pm
lkwdlady wrote:
Do you take challah if you combine the doughs?
Have you baked in the bread machine or do you take it out to rise and braid?

Yes, you take challa if you combine the doughs, as long as the 2 combined is enough for taking challa. I guess you could bake in the machine but I just make the dough in the machine and take it out to shape and bake.

chocolate moose

Post Tue, Aug 01 2023, 8:10 pm
yes, combine the dough to take challah. I rarely bake in the machine; I mostly use it to mix and help it rise. shaping it and baking it in the oven is so mjch nicer.

I know people who bake their cakes in the bread machine in the hot summer; also they are completely pareve that way.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Recipe Collection -> Challah and Breads