Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Fashion and Beauty -> Sheitels & Tichels
Someone just told me she charges $800 for a wig cut

amother
OP

Post Mon, Jul 31 2023, 4:11 pm
How is that possible? What makes a wig cut worth $800? I am just very curious to know.

amother
Calendula

Post Mon, Jul 31 2023, 4:19 pm
You take on a huge risk cutting a wig - high risk, high reward.

amother
Stoneblue

Post Mon, Jul 31 2023, 4:26 pm
amother Calendula wrote:

But don’t most people take on that risk for about $300? Or at least they did, until very recently, didn’t they?

Also, how many people who cut wigs actually refund those who are unhappy with the cut?

amother
Coral

Post Mon, Jul 31 2023, 4:27 pm
amother Calendula wrote:

Lol the risk is on the customer not the one cutting the wig. Yet the customer who has the high risk is also stuck with the high price tag

Trademark

Post Mon, Jul 31 2023, 4:30 pm
amother Calendula wrote:

Does a SM pay for the wig if she messes up?

iyar

Post Mon, Jul 31 2023, 4:31 pm
amother Calendula wrote:

What’s the risk?
The risk is all on the client getting her expensive wig cut, not on the stylist holding the scissors.
Do you know any stylists who will replace the wig if you don’t like the cut?
I’ve never come across one.
If their job was to please the client and they replaced the wig or even just refunded the money spent on the cut, I’d agree there’s risk involved. As it is you can make an argument it’s not the easiest job. A stylist needs need talent. She needs to stand on her feet and get the job done. But you can’t say there’s any significant risk involved. (Unless you’re the consumer, in which case you risk spending thousands of dollars on a product you’re unhappy with and in most cases stuck with.)

hodeez

Post Mon, Jul 31 2023, 6:09 pm
Capitalism, baby. She can charge whatever she wants, it's the clients prerogative whether the service is worth it.

amother
Calendula

Post Mon, Jul 31 2023, 6:12 pm
iyar wrote:
What’s the risk?
The risk is all on the client getting her expensive wig cut, not on the stylist holding the scissors.
Do you know any stylists who will replace the wig if you don’t like the cut?
I’ve never come across one.
If their job was to please the client and they replaced the wig or even just refunded the money spent on the cut, I’d agree there’s risk involved. As it is you can make an argument it’s not the easiest job. A stylist needs need talent. She needs to stand on her feet and get the job done. But you can’t say there’s any significant risk involved. (Unless you’re the consumer, in which case you risk spending thousands of dollars on a product you’re unhappy with and in most cases stuck with.)

The risk is dealing with a client threatening to (or actually) sue you for ruining their wig.

amother
Calendula

Post Mon, Jul 31 2023, 6:13 pm
amother Coral wrote:
Lol the risk is on the customer not the one cutting the wig. Yet the customer who has the high risk is also stuck with the high price tag

What is the customers risk?

amother
Dimgray

Post Mon, Jul 31 2023, 7:00 pm
amother Calendula wrote:
What is the customers risk?

That the Sheitelmacher won’t follow their instructions and will cut differently than they want their wig cut. It’s not hair, it can’t regrow.

amother
Calendula

Post Mon, Jul 31 2023, 7:02 pm
amother Dimgray wrote:
That the Sheitelmacher won’t follow their instructions and will cut differently than they want their wig cut. It’s not hair, it can’t regrow.

Exactly. If she messes up a $3,000+ wig, you wouldn’t sue/bring to beis din?

amother
Natural

Post Mon, Jul 31 2023, 7:14 pm
If she charges it presumably people are paying her the price she asked unless you have reason to believe that she was quoting a high price only to you.

When people are selling their "time" they can price it as high as they want since it is limited as there is no way to increase the amount of time they are able to provide the service.

If enough people pay her $800 then why not.

There are some very famous hairdressers who charge that much for a haircut which grows back in a relatively short period of time. LOL LOL

amother
Papayawhip

Post Mon, Jul 31 2023, 7:20 pm
People will charge what those are ready to pay.

Just like the in town schools can be snobby because everyone still continues vying to get in.

s c

Post Mon, Jul 31 2023, 7:29 pm
One sheitelmacher who has the name of being an excellent cutter who sells wigs told me she charges a lot to cut because she doesn't want people bringing wigs from other places. She wants them to buy from her and obviously then she gets more profit. Its not worth her while otherwise. So people are more inclined to buy and get cut at a one stop shop where cutting Is included because its much more expensive to do it separately. I'm not in the US but $800 sounds off the charts crazy. Can't believe people are actually paying that.

amother
Bottlebrush

Post Mon, Jul 31 2023, 7:34 pm
s c wrote:
One sheitelmacher who has the name of being an excellent cutter who sells wigs told me she charges a lot to cut because she doesn't want people bringing wigs from other places. She wants them to buy from her and obviously then she gets more profit. Its not worth her while otherwise. So people are more inclined to buy and get cut at a one stop shop where cutting Is included because its much more expensive to do it separately. I'm not in the US but $800 sounds off the charts crazy. Can't believe people are actually paying that.

This is what I heard when I was quoted 700 5 years ago.

forever21

Post Mon, Jul 31 2023, 7:50 pm
Where is this?
She probably thinks that If she charges that much, people will think she’s way better than the ones who charge a lot less. It’s called being naive. She can’t be THAT good

Ruchi

Post Mon, Jul 31 2023, 10:00 pm
amother OP wrote:
How is that possible? What makes a wig cut worth $800? I am just very curious to know.

A combination of daylight Robbery, Exploitation and advantage taking.

amother
NeonYellow

Post Wed, Aug 02 2023, 12:12 am
forever21 wrote:
Where is this?
She probably thinks that If she charges that much, people will think she’s way better than the ones who charge a lot less. It’s called being naive. She can’t be THAT good

This. Nobody is that good. I’m a sheitel macher, and another sheitel macher once bragged to me that she charges $500 to cut a wig, and “feels bad” for people who “have to spend that much.” Like WTH???? If you feel so bad, why charge that much?? Besides, people think you’re good because of your reputation, not your prices. I know great cutters for as little as $150, and mediocre ones charging $400. Hopefully people are paying attention to reputations rather than prices. Also, it’s worthwhile to buy from a store that offers a complimentary cut with your purchase. Many do.

amother
Poinsettia

Post Wed, Aug 02 2023, 1:03 am
I follow quite a few popular stylists in the non jewish world that charge over 1,000 for a haircut. And that needs to be repeated every few weeks because it grows.

Just saying.... there are expensive stylists all over. Don't use them if you don't want to or don't think it's worth it.

Ruchi

Post Wed, Aug 02 2023, 1:09 am
amother Poinsettia wrote:
I follow quite a few popular stylists in the non jewish world that charge over 1,000 for a haircut. And that needs to be repeated every few weeks because it grows.

Just saying.... there are expensive stylists all over. Don't use them if you don't want to or don't think it's worth it.

But in our community, this kind of outrageous price, starts pushing prices up even more. .
This is exactly why the current prices are crazy. One or two started over pricing and everyone followed suit.
Imagine soon having to pay these very same prices for girls haircuts!?
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Fashion and Beauty -> Sheitels & Tichels