Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children -> Toddlers
Girl doll for boy toddler

amother

Post Mon, Jul 14 2008, 12:13 pm
Is there any problem with getting a boy doll for a boy whose mom just had a baby girl?? In general is there anything not good tznius wise about it?? Can't seem to find good soft boy dolls like the Fisher Price Little Mommy series..... Which company makes a nice realilstic looking baby doll that is good to be the "baby" for a kid who just became a big brother....

pacifier

Post Mon, Jul 14 2008, 12:19 pm
I'm sure any doll would be ok. it doesn't have to be a fancy one. maybe choose one that also has a bottle, so it'll occupy the new brother while his baby sister nurse.

flowerpower

Post Mon, Jul 14 2008, 12:20 pm
When ds was a baby, I got him a Fisher Price boy doll. I ended up getting a normal cute baby doll not long after and he liked that one much better. As long as it isn't a barbie doll then any cute doll is fine.

Beauty and the Beast

Post Mon, Jul 14 2008, 2:00 pm
my dh just bought my ds a doll at work, someone was selling them... the problem is, is that ds does whatever he wants to it, like flinging it across the room... I do not want him to think that he can do whatever he wants to the real baby and nothing would happen to her either... so I put the doll in the toy box, and if he wants to play with it then fine, but otherwise I won't encourage it anymore!

but each kid is different, so maybe yours would benefit from it. I thought mine would, but I see that I am wrong!

pacifier

Post Mon, Jul 14 2008, 2:42 pm
all kids throw dolls!!!!or hold them by a leg, the head, hair....or poke them in the eye(the only eyes they are allowed to put their finger in). still, one can teach them, this is baby/this is doll... or when the child throw the doll one can say oh dolly's crying.... no doing booboo to dolly.

GAMZu

Post Mon, Jul 14 2008, 6:26 pm
I don't think there is any problem. Especially the newborn-style dolls, which are pretty gender neutral. They have plastic hair molded straight to the head, so no long braids. Smile

ChavieK

Post Mon, Jul 14 2008, 6:29 pm
I bought ds a baby doll when dd had a baby. My other little boys were upset because the doll was pink, all I could find. Ds named the doll same name as his neice sometimes plays with it , sometimes drops it, even washed it.At least he knows its not a real baby!

amother

Post Mon, Aug 25 2008, 8:43 pm
I wouldn't buy my ds a doll! let his masculinity build up!! rather buy him things that MOVE like cars, trucks, tains. If you davke want a doll let it b a character like Elmo or puppet dolls where he could insert his fingers and hand and make beleive the puppet is talking and acting!

GAMZu

Post Mon, Aug 25 2008, 9:18 pm
amother wrote:
I wouldn't buy my ds a doll! let his masculinity build up!! rather buy him things that MOVE like cars, trucks, tains. If you davke want a doll let it b a character like Elmo or puppet dolls where he could insert his fingers and hand and make beleive the puppet is talking and acting!
Confused
My pretty masculine husband changes diapers and takes care of kids. But he doesn't drive trains or operate excavators. What

bonitag1

Post Mon, Aug 25 2008, 11:26 pm
IMHO you don't have to do anything to build DS's masculinity. It'll build by itself whether or not you keep him protected from dolls. When my DS was a toddler, he wanted a doll so we got him a soft cabbage patch doll that had the name Randy and looked like a baby boy. He loved that doll and carried it everywhere for a year or so. When my granddaughter turned 1 last fall she inherited Randy (who's still in pretty good shape --DS was our youngest) and its her favorite doll. She also plays with a toy kitchen, and a bunch of cars and trucks. Go figure.

HindaRochel

Post Mon, Aug 25 2008, 11:43 pm
Yeah, buy the doll, but not because of the new baby, but because it is good to have such toys around. If he wants to play with it, well and good, if not, I suppose he has other toys about.

Playing roughly with the doll is normal. Most kids (girls and boys) carry about in such a way that it makes one cringe.

He will not learn to become a good father from playing with the doll. He will learn to become a good father by
Watching how your husband cares for the baby; giving baths, changing diapers, taking the baby for walks, playing with the baby.
Being included in helping with the baby anyway he can; helping push the stroller or bring you a diaper, or helping you give the baby a bath.

realeez

Post Tue, Aug 26 2008, 4:39 am
GAMZu wrote:
amother wrote:
Confused
My pretty masculine husband changes diapers and takes care of kids. But he doesn't drive trains or operate excavators. What

Thumbs Up Cheers Salut Yes Your best post ever - I totally agree!

My boys stole their sister's dollies (at the ages of 3 & 4) for a time period and named the dolls in pink stretchies Chaim Zevy and Yitzchak and had fun playing with them and then got bored. They even sometimes would cook dinner with the kitchen set!

No one complains when the father takes care of his kids or cooks dinner (even if it's just scrambling the eggs Wink ) but for some reason little boys and dolls or kitchen toys, gets ppl thinking it's odd.

GAMZu

Post Tue, Aug 26 2008, 9:16 am
Especially children who say home with their mothers- they love to do everything the mother does!

My boys have a toy kitchen, a "toaster oven" and 3 drawers full of play foods and kitchen utensils. They love to cook!

Of course, nothing beats excavators. Wink They don't have to choose one over the other.

chaylizi

Post Tue, Aug 26 2008, 9:37 am
my older dd doesn't do dolls. we do trains, climbing toys, crayons, nearly any kind of blocks or building toy available, also the chassidish mentchies (whatever they're called). all of a sudden at age 5 we started with dress up, princesses & make believe. my younger dd also isn't into dolls so much. they both do/did strollers though.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics