College for the sake of learning
Previous  1  2  3  Next

amother
  OP  

Post Wed, Aug 02 2023, 2:44 pm
#BestBubby wrote:
I understand.

You enjoy the debate.

Well I enjoy that too and plenty of debates on politics, parenting, healthcare on Imamother. LOL

I enjoy debates plus everything else that comes with learning.

By the time I arrive to a thread on imamother the debates have spiraled. I don't enjoy it here.

But I do enjoy watching you stir things....

amother
  OP  

Post Wed, Aug 02 2023, 2:46 pm
gootlfriends wrote:
If you have an area of interest get a good book. My daughter loves animals and nature. She loves learning about different places. So we get national geographic books from the library (which is free) and we can read on shabbos. She is 10 but many of the books are middle school or high school level. By high school she will be reading college books.

I order books from Amazon all the time. That's lonely learning.
I don't mean to complain. Just explaining.

amother
  OP  

Post Wed, Aug 02 2023, 2:49 pm
PinkFridge wrote:
They say that college for the sake of learning is so 19th century.
What do you want to be when you grow up? What are you interesting in learning?

Maybe that's behind all of it... I don't want to be grown up! Very Happy

NotInNJMommy

Post Wed, Aug 02 2023, 2:50 pm
Unless someone really has disposable time and $$$$, post secondary education should be to achieve some skill or certification.

There are plenty of books, podcasts, resources, discussion groups, clubs etc. to connect with if one enjoys delving into different things for the sake of learning.

Also, be around thoughtful/thinking people. My MIL is extremely well read and thoughtful, and she is almost 90 and never went to college.

amother
  OP

Post Wed, Aug 02 2023, 3:01 pm
Thanks all for taking the time and respond. I'm glad to see I'm not the only one.
I'll look into the local college in my area. Maybe they have some classes that I can join without breaking the bank.

amother
Chambray

Post Wed, Aug 02 2023, 3:04 pm
You can audit classes. I teach at a college and have had students auditing classes. They were usually older adults who, like you, enjoyed learning, but didn't need credits or want a degree. They were also usually the best students, which is ironic considering they didn't need the credits!

zaq

Post Wed, Aug 02 2023, 3:29 pm
Another chambray, it's not ironic at all. They're there because they want to be, because they have a thirst for learning, and not because they have to be, because it's a requirement for a major or for graduation, or because or happens to fit into a lacuna in their schedule and it offers exactly the two or three credits they need to be considered full-time.

#BestBubby

Post Wed, Aug 02 2023, 7:51 pm
If you are there as "audit" student are you allowed to join class discussion?

Can you submit assignments and get graded?

amother
Papaya

Post Wed, Aug 02 2023, 8:20 pm
The only people I know who ended up 100k in debt for college either went through a very expensive program (I.e. a frum one which tend to be very pricy or else Ivy League calibre colleges) or also used student loans for living expenses, and not just tuition. (And often that amount of debt includes graduate degrees, not just a bachelors.)

There's a middle ground. You can start off at a community college and finish up at a state university. If you aren't in a rush and just want to enjoy learning, you can take 1 or 2 classes a semester and get a part time job to pay the costs of that semester.

amother
  Navy

Post Wed, Aug 02 2023, 10:57 pm
amother Papaya wrote:
The only people I know who ended up 100k in debt for college either went through a very expensive program (I.e. a frum one which tend to be very pricy or else Ivy League calibre colleges) or also used student loans for living expenses, and not just tuition. (And often that amount of debt includes graduate degrees, not just a bachelors.)

There's a middle ground. You can start off at a community college and finish up at a state university. If you aren't in a rush and just want to enjoy learning, you can take 1 or 2 classes a semester and get a part time job to pay the costs of that semester.

I went to a SUNY and had no tuition because of the Regents Scholarship. My expenses were just living expenses which weren’t that high and I had summer jobs and a job senior year when academic pressure eased. Grad school was also relatively inexpensive because my tuition was minimal for law school at a top ten school so again only living expenses which weren’t extremely high because I was living in an inexpensive location and not Manhattan.🤷‍♀️

What people don’t realize is that even law school isn’t a trade school as most of it at a national highly ranked law school is not nuts and bolts of practice but learning how to think and process and interpret

amother
Melon

Post Fri, Aug 18 2023, 7:11 pm
I went to a highly ranked university and received a phenomenal undergraduate education followed by a professional degree. I was very aware that this was a gift and an opportunity to learn and expand my mind and was grateful to my parents for providing it to me. I don't know where you live, OP, but if money is an obstacle, can you look into state universities in your area. Also, there are many scholarships available for older students. Why don't you go to your local library and speak with the reference librarian about resources. There may be local organizations that provide funding for older students or first generation college students. If you don't aspire to a degree, then the auditing idea is a good one. I don't think learning is a waste at all. I am sad about people rushing through online degrees, but I'm also realistic about staggering costs. However, I am reminded of one of my professors who lived in Germany and was thrown out of University due to the Nuremberg Laws. She survived Auschwitz, came to the US, attended college, and obtained career success as a much older student. She was so inspiring. Don't give up on your dreams!

Thisisnotmyreal

Post Fri, Aug 18 2023, 7:18 pm
Take on gemara?

MommyPhD  

Post Sun, Aug 20 2023, 11:07 pm
Those who are saying you can take classes for less than 100K are correct. Community colleges and state universities don't have to be expensive. And don't listen to those who say professors and classmates are stupid and there's no debating because everyone is liberal. That certainly can be true, but it's isn't always true. Just research the faculty before you sign up. Check out the university's Reddit or other groups and see what students say about the professor, if the class allows debate, if it's rigorous, etc.

amother
Cornsilk

Post Sun, Aug 20 2023, 11:19 pm
It can certainly be done cheaply! I did my gen eds at community college for very little money, but I would caution that you've probably overidealized it. Most college students aren't that learning oriented (even more so at community college), and in plenty of colleges (not community colleges), professors are all about research and not too interested in teaching. You're probably better off with video lectures and friends that like academic conversations than with college classes unless you've got a use for the degree.

amother
Springgreen

Post Mon, Aug 21 2023, 1:25 am
There are online courses you can audit for free or pay a relatively small fee for a certificate.

notshanarishona

Post Mon, Aug 21 2023, 5:00 am
There are many community colleges where you can get a full scholarship too

MommyPhD

Post Mon, Aug 21 2023, 8:08 am
amother Cornsilk wrote:
It can certainly be done cheaply! I did my gen eds at community college for very little money, but I would caution that you've probably overidealized it. Most college students aren't that learning oriented (even more so at community college), and in plenty of colleges (not community colleges), professors are all about research and not too interested in teaching. You're probably better off with video lectures and friends that like academic conversations than with college classes unless you've got a use for the degree.

Again, I just don't agree with this statement. As a professor myself who knows a great many other professors, my research doesn't detract from my classroom presence, and I don't know anyone under 70 who acts that way. Yes, lots of students are awful and immature, but that drops off substantially the less freshman you have. I have taught plenty of classes like what OP wants.

csstb

Post Mon, Aug 21 2023, 8:47 am
You can gain so much from learning in a classroom in a structured environment! Some colleges offer adult education and continuing education classes. They are mostly geared towards retirees, but anyone can join and they are not too expensive. For colleges without these programs, you can audit classes for relatively cheap. And if you want to work toward a degree, community college and financial aid and scholarship programs are available.

I’m actually surprised about all the posters here detracting from the idea of learning at a college. There is a lot of inaccurate information here (like it has to cost 100k or debate is stifled because of politically liberal thought). True academic exploration can sharpen your mind and give you enjoyment, but also give you a much deeper understanding of this incredible world Hashem has put us in.

nylon

Post Wed, Aug 23 2023, 12:36 am
As someone who both went to college and is well read, I think college is very different. College gives you professors and a structure to guide you and help discuss and analyze what you have learned.

There are ways to get a degree without spending $100k. Unless you are interested in something very obscure, you can likely study it at a public university.

thegiver

Post Wed, Aug 23 2023, 12:41 am
Waste of $ and time unless you’re invested in engineering practical things like medical etc
Accounting etc Even business you better picking up from real life.

It’s a joke. Also a hotbed for liberal thinking which is mostly baloney. I was introduced to so much nonsense immorality and stupidity in college.

The only thing I gained was practice writing.
Page 2 of 3 Previous  1  2  3  Next Recent Topics