Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Chinuch, Education & Schooling
College for the sake of learning
1  2  3  Next

amother
OP

Post Wed, Aug 02 2023, 11:14 am
I'm asking regarding my own education.
I've always dreamed of going to college. I love to learn. I would sit into a classroom any day. But it was always pushed off until after my kids are grown. When life is more settled.
Recently I've been hearing people say things like college is not worth it. Just learn a trade or skill that will be useful. And skip all the extras.
So I was wondering what college is like. And is it a waste of money?

anonymous mom

Post Wed, Aug 02 2023, 11:26 am
Yes, I do think it is somewhat a waste of time, speaking as someone who went to college.

The cost is also astronomical. Instead of giving you a financial head-start, you are starting out your financial career with $100,000 or more in student debt (plus interest). Chances are, you'll be paying off this debt for the next 30 years of your life. I think this in itself can lead to financial problems for many (ironically). You'd have to very carefully weigh your risks and benefits before starting college.

If you love learning just for fun, you can sign up for real college courses online for free. You can dedicate your time to learning as if you're in college. Although you won't receive any college credits for taking these courses. You can check out Coursera for more info.

Best of luck Very Happy

amother
Lightcoral

Post Wed, Aug 02 2023, 11:27 am
amother OP wrote:
I've always dreamed of going to college. I love to learn. I would sit into a classroom any day. But it was always pushed off until after my kids are grown. When life is more settled.
Recently I've been hearing people say things like college is not worth it. Just learn a trade or skill that will be useful. And skip all the extras.

I personally enjoyed taking courses that weren't part of my major, or were but I don't actually use day to day in my profession. History, ancient literature, organic chemistry, etc.

I also love to learn.

I'm still not sure it's worth the expense.

Today, it's pretty simple to learn on your own if you'd like (for free!) through researching online, Youtube videos, etc.

amother
Lightcoral

Post Wed, Aug 02 2023, 11:29 am
I also wanted to add in that if you are over a certain age, you can attend courses in many colleges for free (not for credit).

sequoia

Post Wed, Aug 02 2023, 11:35 am
Disclaimer: I had no student loans.

I think it’s amazing to learn in a structured environment with amazing professors who are passionate about what they do.

But yeah, not if it sets you back 100k.

#BestBubby

Post Wed, Aug 02 2023, 11:49 am
As Anonymous said you can learn for free.

Never in history have people had so much access to information.

There are free college courses.

There are documentaries on YouTube on every subject.

There is the library.

I have a Masters Degree that I got in my 40s.

But I had PhD level general knowledge without college just from being a bookworm, and I gained encyclopediac knowledge before the internet was around by voracious reading.

amother
Pumpkin

Post Wed, Aug 02 2023, 11:52 am
I would have loved to have been a professional student and just keep getting degree after degree, because I love learning. But alas, degrees cost money and fully funded PhDs are not easy to come by. But if time and money weren't an obstacle, yes, college and graduate courses are incredible. Purely professionally, is it worth it? Sometimes yes, sometimes no, really depends on the profession and it's something you really have to think about and crunch the numbers before going ahead. There was a time when a college degree basically guaranteed security, but that time is long gone and it should not be thought of that way anymore. Is the learning worth it? 1000%. The learning is priceless. But it does cost money, so for most people, it's a bad idea to go ahead without careful consideration and a plan. As others have mentioned, there are free or low cost high quality courses online. If you really want to experience it in person, you can pay for individual non-matriculated courses for a few hundred dollars to scratch the itch, but they won't count for anything if you're not an enrolled student.

amother
OP

Post Wed, Aug 02 2023, 12:06 pm
That's the thing I don't want to just sit at a computer at watch a video. I can do that on YouTube.
I want to learn and have someone teach. I want to ask questions. Have discussions. Debate. Practice. Experiment.

Oh well, I can see that we'll need that extra million.

amother
OP

Post Wed, Aug 02 2023, 12:07 pm
A degree would be nice. But that's not even my goal.

amother
Watermelon

Post Wed, Aug 02 2023, 12:08 pm
amother OP wrote:
That's the thing I don't want to just sit at a computer at watch a video. I can do that on YouTube.
I want to learn and have someone teach. I want to ask questions. Have discussions. Debate. Practice. Experiment.

Yeah sorry I went to a good school, and I went in person, and I got my masters degree, and half the classes were a waste of time. It was nice to have the few excellent professors. But overall a waste of time.

#BestBubby

Post Wed, Aug 02 2023, 12:12 pm
amother OP wrote:

I understand.

You enjoy the debate.

Well I enjoy that too and plenty of debates on politics, parenting, healthcare on Imamother. LOL

gootlfriends

Post Wed, Aug 02 2023, 12:15 pm
If you have an area of interest get a good book. My daughter loves animals and nature. She loves learning about different places. So we get national geographic books from the library (which is free) and we can read on shabbos. She is 10 but many of the books are middle school or high school level. By high school she will be reading college books.

zaq

Post Wed, Aug 02 2023, 12:17 pm
It all depends on what you want to get out of college.
If you just want vocational training and aren't interested in anything outside of your chosen occupation, college is not the best way to go about it, though there are fields that require a college degree.
If you simply love to learn things for the sake of learning them, college is a rather expensive way to go about it. Public college, which is cheaper than private but still not cheap, may be your best bet. You don't need a million dollars if you plan to take only one or two courses at a time over many years.
If you're over 60, you can audit classes at many colleges for very little money.

amother
Navy

Post Wed, Aug 02 2023, 12:19 pm
Learning for the sake of learning is wonderful.

And it also enables one to understand other things in the world.

People who look on learning solely as a way to learn specific skills really don't understand what a well educated mind really provides. Just in the simplest way that it often provides skills in organizing thoughts and evaluating information which are applicable to whatever one does.

Even reading fiction is useful - it is a way to increase vocabulary and verbal skills. It enables one to learn about other cultures and history in a more interesting way and often it provides psychological insight that enables one to deal with people better.

College doesn't have to be expensive. Most places have community colleges that are inexpensive and offer a wide range of courses. And college courses don't have to be limited by your age - when my parents retired they took college courses at the local community college in subjects that interested them. My father took cooking classes - they took courses in architecture for example which included field trips with the professor to interesting places. They went on a field trip to Las Vegas which didn't include gambling or drinking but included a trip to Hoover Dam.

#BestBubby

Post Wed, Aug 02 2023, 12:19 pm
amother OP wrote:

There is no longer Free Speech or Debate on college campuses today.

amother
Pansy

Post Wed, Aug 02 2023, 12:23 pm
If you're 60+, look into auditing college classes. you receive no credit or grade but all you pay is a small fee. Not all classes are open to auditing, but many are. In theory you're supposed to just listen and not participate, but few professors enforce this. As long as you don't monopolize the discussion they're ok with your asking questions and otherwise actively participating. Many appreciate the presence of more mature students who can contribute a more seasoned point of view than the typical college teen and twenty-something.

paperflowers

Post Wed, Aug 02 2023, 12:24 pm
amother OP wrote:

You might be able to audit for free.

amother
Pumpkin

Post Wed, Aug 02 2023, 12:55 pm
amother OP wrote:

I totally understand. Many community colleges and universities offer some classes for non enrolled students to sit in on, I think it's worth looking into. Doing so at a university will cost more than at a community college, but not crazy, you don't need to be rich. If it's important to you, you can set aside your "fun money" for this purpose and take one course a semester. Where are you located? (General area is fine, no need to be specific). I can look up and share what some local options might be for you.

mom37

Post Wed, Aug 02 2023, 1:11 pm
Could you find in depth and interactive Torah courses to take? I believe halacha permits one to only learn secular subjects as a means to an end.
On another note, colleges are really not good places. The vast majority are incredibly liberal and spew ideas that are completely anti Torah.

PinkFridge

Post Wed, Aug 02 2023, 1:47 pm
amother OP wrote:

They say that college for the sake of learning is so 19th century.
What do you want to be when you grow up? What are you interesting in learning?
Page 1 of 3 1  2  3  Next Recent Topics