Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Chinuch, Education & Schooling
Frum college program for pre-health sciences
Previous  1  2

amother
Amethyst

Post Sun, Mar 03 2024, 9:46 pm
TTI has people taking calls who help figure this type of thing out. They can probably advise you what type of degree she needs, whether they provide it or not.

amother
OP

Post Sun, Mar 03 2024, 9:49 pm
I think she means you can't apply for financial aid for seminary. If you enroll in an Israel program through an American college you may be eligible for aid.

nicole81

Post Mon, Mar 04 2024, 12:08 am
amother IndianRed wrote:
if the community college was connected with FAFSA, you could apply for financial aid--?

FAFSA is a form. The government provides aid aside from private scholarships and grants. All government related financial aid is applicable at all community colleges such as pell grants, direct loans, etc.

amother
Snapdragon

Post Mon, Mar 04 2024, 1:29 am
Being realistic here, she'll need to do in person because of the labs.

amother
Periwinkle

Post Mon, Mar 04 2024, 3:12 am
Med school is extremely competitive. Unless she is going to a medical school that specific caters to young frum women where everyone has such a degree, I don’t see how she would be a strong contender for a seat in the class.

amother
Cornsilk

Post Mon, Mar 04 2024, 3:06 pm
amother Snow wrote:
That doesn't hold true anymore in NY. They now require a BSN for RNs. An RN won't get far with just an associates anymore.

True that hospitals like for you to have BSN eventually, but once you're an RN they will actually pay substantially towards your BSN tuition, and most ppl do it through online program such as chamberlain etc, while working as an RN (different facilities have different policies as to how long they give you to earn your BSN once you have the RN degree-usually a couple years).

Going for a random BA and then going to nursing school for RN, and then working on transferring credits to complete BSN is a bit silly, unless there's a specific bridge program to Masters that you're looking at- ex: CNM, CRNA...

If she knows she wants nursing off the bat, she should do nursing school first and BSN after or concurrently.

Except if she's planning on going to Columbia or similar program- I know they take regular TTI BA for their accelerated RN/BSN program.

amother
Cornsilk

Post Mon, Mar 04 2024, 3:08 pm
Speaking of TTI, I heard they're opening a nursing program...

seems like nursing is the newest hustle-ppl go through and then open their own MDS company or aesthetic spa...

chestnut

Post Mon, Mar 04 2024, 4:10 pm
amother Cornsilk wrote:
Speaking of TTI, I heard they're opening a nursing program...

seems like nursing is the newest hustle-ppl go through and then open their own MDS company or aesthetic spa...

Interesting. How can they do nursing online with all labs?

nicole81

Post Mon, Mar 04 2024, 4:32 pm
amother Periwinkle wrote:
Med school is extremely competitive. Unless she is going to a medical school that specific caters to young frum women where everyone has such a degree, I don’t see how she would be a strong contender for a seat in the class.

Don't underestimate gpa and mcats

amother
Snow

Post Mon, Mar 04 2024, 4:38 pm
amother Cornsilk wrote:
True that hospitals like for you to have BSN eventually, but once you're an RN they will actually pay substantially towards your BSN tuition, and most ppl do it through online program such as chamberlain etc, while working as an RN (different facilities have different policies as to how long they give you to earn your BSN once you have the RN degree-usually a couple years).

Going for a random BA and then going to nursing school for RN, and then working on transferring credits to complete BSN is a bit silly, unless there's a specific bridge program to Masters that you're looking at- ex: CNM, CRNA...

If she knows she wants nursing off the bat, she should do nursing school first and BSN after or concurrently.

Except if she's planning on going to Columbia or similar program- I know they take regular TTI BA for their accelerated RN/BSN program.

I agree that going to nursing school first is advisable, and she can then find an accelerated BSN program. But fewer and fewer professional places are hiring RNs with just an AS. The few that do hire are less likely to pay towards your BSN.

It became mandatory in 2020 for RNs (un NY) to either have BSNs or be working towards it. So many accelerated programs popped up and the employers offered to assist financially to get the current RNs aligned with new requirements. But they don't offer the same benefits to new hires. And they generally hire those with BSNs for all the good positions.

The accelerated programs from AS to BSN still exist though, so that is something that she can definitely take advantage of.

amother
Cornsilk

Post Mon, Mar 04 2024, 5:00 pm
chestnut wrote:
Interesting. How can they do nursing online with all labs?

I have no idea if this will be online at all, or maybe just partially... I personally took labs for A & P I, II, Chemistry, and Stats online through the same college I'm currently pursuing my RN- it was during Covid and the college had fantastic online labs and live classes through Cisco Webex.

amother
Marigold

Post Mon, Mar 04 2024, 5:03 pm
Some inaccurate information here. Yes you can get an associate degree in nursing these days it’s a very common route to take. In NY there are plenty community colleges that offer associates in nursing degree. Most ppl I know that take this route do the BSN part online afterwards while working. There are many jobs you can work with only an associates just no hospitals hire associates. Speaking as a nurse that has coworkers and friends with only associate degrees, they went to Citytech, Kingsborough, Rockland CC etc.

amother
Cornsilk

Post Mon, Mar 04 2024, 5:07 pm
amother Snow wrote:
I agree that going to nursing school first is advisable, and she can then find an accelerated BSN program. But fewer and fewer professional places are hiring RNs with just an AS. The few that do hire are less likely to pay towards your BSN.

It became mandatory in 2020 for RNs (un NY) to either have BSNs or be working towards it. So many accelerated programs popped up and the employers offered to assist financially to get the current RNs aligned with new requirements. But they don't offer the same benefits to new hires. And they generally hire those with BSNs for all the good positions.

The accelerated programs from AS to BSN still exist though, so that is something that she can definitely take advantage of.

I'm speaking for NJ here, I'm not up to date with NY. I am currently in nursing school in OCC in Toms River, and all clinical rotations/clinical instructors/ professors tell us that we'll be fine with the standard RN going in to our first job and committing to pursuing BSN after that. I personally know some students who just graduated my program, passed the NClex and have been hired in RWJ-affiliated hospitals and HMH facilities with just their RN degree.

Again, OP should do her due diligence as there's many different conflicting options and paths to a degree... just my anecdotal hock.

mha3484

Post Mon, Mar 04 2024, 5:20 pm
I am in the Midwest and I do medical staffing and I place nurses every single day with RN degrees no BSN. In the decade I have been doing this, very very few clients required the BSN.

amother
Snow

Post Mon, Mar 04 2024, 5:25 pm
amother Cornsilk wrote:
I'm speaking for NJ here, I'm not up to date with NY. I am currently in nursing school in OCC in Toms River, and all clinical rotations/clinical instructors/ professors tell us that we'll be fine with the standard RN going in to our first job and committing to pursuing BSN after that. I personally know some students who just graduated my program, passed the NClex and have been hired in RWJ-affiliated hospitals and HMH facilities with just their RN degree.

Again, OP should do her due diligence as there's many different conflicting options and paths to a degree... just my anecdotal hock.

Agree - OP should do her due diligence and be aware of location dependent requirements.

DrMom

Post Mon, Mar 04 2024, 5:25 pm
amother Cornsilk wrote:
I have no idea if this will be online at all, or maybe just partially... I personally took labs for A & P I, II, Chemistry, and Stats online through the same college I'm currently pursuing my RN- it was during Covid and the college had fantastic online labs and live classes through Cisco Webex.
How did they conduct online labs? Did students have lab kits sent to them do they could work at home?

nylon

Post Mon, Mar 04 2024, 5:46 pm
Not just labs, but a nursing degree is heavily clinical. Will they set up placements?

NY seems to have been more aggressive with pushing BSNs over ADNs, but there are still jobs for ADNs. But if your goal is hospital nursing you might want to go directly for your BSN and not get stuck.

For med school you cannot do a quickie degree. A reputable state school is fine, though, it's not like you need to go to the Ivy League. Touro would also be an option.

amother
NeonYellow

Post Mon, Mar 04 2024, 5:58 pm
amother IndianRed wrote:
I came on to this site to post a very similar question and was glad to find this thread! My daughter is choosing a seminary now and is interested in pre-med. Would like to apply to an undergrad program and have her go to sem through it....
Wondering if OP's DD chose a program and is happy with it... Can you update, please?

From my basic research, it sounds like the only 2 frum options are Sara Schenirer or HTC Sarah Hartman/Touro in Chicago. Maybe a local community college is a better idea--?

We're also OOT and trying to figure this out--any guidance would be very much appreciated!!

Hey! Currently in med school. I went to Touro’s LCW in Manhattan for undergrad. You cannot do a quicky degree for med school. Even with Touro I had to distinguish myself with MCATs, internships, research to compete against applicants from Ivy’s and the like. If you’d like I can talk to your daughter about the realities of med school as a frum women.

amother
Amethyst

Post Mon, Mar 04 2024, 5:59 pm
nylon wrote:
Not just labs, but a nursing degree is heavily clinical. Will they set up placements?

NY seems to have been more aggressive with pushing BSNs over ADNs, but there are still jobs for ADNs. But if your goal is hospital nursing you might want to go directly for your BSN and not get stuck.

For med school you cannot do a quickie degree. A reputable state school is fine, though, it's not like you need to go to the Ivy League. Touro would also be an option.

TTI has in person degrees, depending on the degree. So I guess it will depend how the degree is set up, which college they partner with, etc.
Page 2 of 2 Previous  1  2 Recent Topics