Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Chinuch, Education & Schooling
Frum college program for pre-health sciences
1  2  Next

amother
OP

Post Fri, Nov 10 2023, 9:44 am
We live OOT and DD would like to get a degree in some sort of health science, either nursing, dental hygiene, one of the therapies etc.

For her Masters program, she will most likely go to a non-Jewish college in our state. What is the best way for her to get an undergraduate degree through a frum online program which includes all the health prerequisites which the Masters will need?
Does it specifically need to be frum, even?

I'm a little confused because depending on what area she decides to pursue, she may not even need a BA, just all the health prerequisites. In which case, she doesn't need to worry about transferring seminary credits and getting a bunch of CLEPs because she'll just be getting the 50-60 requirements for her next program.

If you follow me, I"d love to get any feedback!

mha3484

Post Fri, Nov 10 2023, 9:50 am
Does it have to be online? Formerly Blitstein in Chicago now part of Touro has a health science program and partnerships with graduate schools for a lot of health professions. https://www.htc.edu/hartman/ac.....nces/

Honestly, if she is interested in an in person option and then continues on to a Masters with girls from her bachelors program, I think in the current climate its an ideal situation. To be with a core group of girls taking similar classes and going to campus together.

amother
Cadetblue

Post Fri, Nov 10 2023, 10:04 am
Prerequisites for health science degrees require classes with labs. Do online colleges offer those?

amother
OP

Post Fri, Nov 10 2023, 11:38 am
I was wondering about that too.

#BestBubby

Post Fri, Nov 10 2023, 11:43 am
Check with the graduate schools she is considering if they accept the degree from the college you are considering.

amother
Calendula

Post Fri, Nov 10 2023, 1:08 pm
amother Cadetblue wrote:
Prerequisites for health science degrees require classes with labs. Do online colleges offer those?

Most online colleges don’t offer labs AFAIK

amother
Steelblue

Post Sat, Nov 11 2023, 7:02 pm
Barton college offers labs online

amother
Periwinkle

Post Sat, Nov 11 2023, 7:12 pm
amother Steelblue wrote:
Barton college offers labs online

I’m intrigued. How does that work?

amother
Steelblue

Post Sat, Nov 11 2023, 7:17 pm
You order an expensive lab kit and do the assignments with the materials provided.
Instructor guides you ( virtually)

amother
Steelblue

Post Sat, Nov 11 2023, 7:18 pm
For chemistry

amother
Fuchsia

Post Sat, Nov 11 2023, 9:28 pm
Sara Schenirer offers a BA in psychology with a track that includes several but not all of the health sciences prereqs. Check their website for a list of what is offered.

amother
Dandelion

Post Sat, Nov 11 2023, 11:12 pm
I would not do an online courses for health sciences. (Many others pre reqs like intro to psych or English, fine). How would you do biology labs? Do you want her disecting a frog in your kitchen? Chemistry- mix the wrong two things and it could be noxious or worse.
Go to Touro in person... back when I was there she could get her science pre requisites in a couple of semesters especially if she doesn't need a BA. Bio and Chem at the same time (so bio 1 and Chem 1 in fall 1. Bio 2 and Chem 2 in spring 1). Then anatomy and physiology in the summer. If she needs more classes than that she could fill in whatever else between fall and spring. If she also needs orgo and physics she would have to wait until the following fall and spring. (Or can do A&P the following year).

amother
Cornsilk

Post Mon, Nov 27 2023, 11:34 am
I'm currently in OCC in Toms River for nursing and I actually did all the prereqs online through OCC as we did them during Covid... the college figured it out; there are many online programs and platforms for chemistry, A & P I and II, microbiology... I don't feel I missed out on anything crucial.

I would recommend your daughter figure out which health science she wants to do- OT, PT are similar in that you need a BA with health science courses, but Nursing and afaik dental hygiene is a whole 'nother animal; you do just prereqs and then generally a nursing program for the R.N. degree, which is an associate's. Unless she wants to do a bridge program or go straight for her masters', which is a nurse practitioner or equivalent, and for which she'll need her BSN, there's no need for a BA. Rebbetzin bulka has a great nursing program through GCU and they walk you through from a-z. I think sara shenirer has a BA with health science classes but caveat emptor- make sure that's what your daughter needs for where she wants to end up.

I know it's all very confusing, but main point is, figure out where she wants to end up and work backwards from there, otherwise you'll just be paying good time and money to frum/otherwise programs and be all over the place, jack of all trades master of none, which is super frustrating...

amother
IndianRed

Post Sun, Mar 03 2024, 3:28 pm
I came on to this site to post a very similar question and was glad to find this thread! My daughter is choosing a seminary now and is interested in pre-med. Would like to apply to an undergrad program and have her go to sem through it....
Wondering if OP's DD chose a program and is happy with it... Can you update, please?

From my basic research, it sounds like the only 2 frum options are Sara Schenirer or HTC Sarah Hartman/Touro in Chicago. Maybe a local community college is a better idea--?

We're also OOT and trying to figure this out--any guidance would be very much appreciated!!

amother
Snow

Post Sun, Mar 03 2024, 3:43 pm
amother Cornsilk wrote:
I'm currently in OCC in Toms River for nursing and I actually did all the prereqs online through OCC as we did them during Covid... the college figured it out; there are many online programs and platforms for chemistry, A & P I and II, microbiology... I don't feel I missed out on anything crucial.

I would recommend your daughter figure out which health science she wants to do- OT, PT are similar in that you need a BA with health science courses, but Nursing and afaik dental hygiene is a whole 'nother animal; you do just prereqs and then generally a nursing program for the R.N. degree, which is an associate's. Unless she wants to do a bridge program or go straight for her masters', which is a nurse practitioner or equivalent, and for which she'll need her BSN, there's no need for a BA. Rebbetzin bulka has a great nursing program through GCU and they walk you through from a-z. I think sara shenirer has a BA with health science classes but caveat emptor- make sure that's what your daughter needs for where she wants to end up.

I know it's all very confusing, but main point is, figure out where she wants to end up and work backwards from there, otherwise you'll just be paying good time and money to frum/otherwise programs and be all over the place, jack of all trades master of none, which is super frustrating...

That doesn't hold true anymore in NY. They now require a BSN for RNs. An RN won't get far with just an associates anymore.

amother
OP

Post Sun, Mar 03 2024, 4:13 pm
I didn't find a solution that is ideal. She is not going to go through an Israel program. When she gets back, we are going to enroll her in a local community college that has a bridge program to nursing school IYH.

amother
IndianRed

Post Sun, Mar 03 2024, 5:01 pm
amother OP wrote:
I didn't find a solution that is ideal. She is not going to go through an Israel program. When she gets back, we are going to enroll her in a local community college that has a bridge program to nursing school IYH.

Thank you. I have a feeling that might be the path we end up taking, as well. The only (big) downside, aside from not being in a frum environment, is that you can't apply for financial aid that way, is that right?

nicole81

Post Sun, Mar 03 2024, 5:51 pm
amother IndianRed wrote:
Thank you. I have a feeling that might be the path we end up taking, as well. The only (big) downside, aside from not being in a frum environment, is that you can't apply for financial aid that way, is that right?

Why wouldn't you be able to apply for financial aid? Plus a local cc is so much cheaper to begin with.

amother
IndianRed

Post Sun, Mar 03 2024, 6:26 pm
nicole81 wrote:
Why wouldn't you be able to apply for financial aid? Plus a local cc is so much cheaper to begin with.

if the community college was connected with FAFSA, you could apply for financial aid--?

amother
Saddlebrown

Post Sun, Mar 03 2024, 6:44 pm
amother IndianRed wrote:
I came on to this site to post a very similar question and was glad to find this thread! My daughter is choosing a seminary now and is interested in pre-med. Would like to apply to an undergrad program and have her go to sem through it....
Wondering if OP's DD chose a program and is happy with it... Can you update, please?

From my basic research, it sounds like the only 2 frum options are Sara Schenirer or HTC Sarah Hartman/Touro in Chicago. Maybe a local community college is a better idea--?

We're also OOT and trying to figure this out--any guidance would be very much appreciated!!

Pre med is a completely different ball game if the aim is to go to medical school.

Medical school is extremely competitive and where you want to college is going to be a huge factor in terms of admission.

While some of the other health sciences are competitive, they aren't competitive in the same way as med school admission is.

You should
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics