Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Vacation and Traveling
New York to israel- what airline do you recommend
1  2  Next

What is the best airline ny to israel
United  
 34%  [ 17 ]
El al  
 60%  [ 30 ]
Other please specify  
 6%  [ 3 ]
Total Votes : 50

amother
OP

Post Thu, Aug 03 2023, 1:12 am
And why? Direct flights only
I was offered United and El Al for similar price
Or any other recommendations

amother
OP

Post Thu, Aug 03 2023, 1:13 am
amother OP wrote:
And why? Direct flights only
I was offered United and El Al for similar price
Or any other recommendations

Woops there should be an option for other please specify

amother
Tan

Post Thu, Aug 03 2023, 3:23 am
I usually love Delta, it's typically a bit more expensive.

If you can fly premium, Elal is awesome. I believe it's the only airline that gives you upgraded meals on premium.

amother
Jasmine

Post Thu, Aug 03 2023, 4:34 am
Since I don't fly often I feel that if I am able to afford the trip that I should fly ELAL for safety reasons.

The few times I have flown to Israel it was with ELAL.

I do suggest paying for extra leg room if you can afford it. If not be sure to get an aisle seat.

amother
Pistachio

Post Thu, Aug 03 2023, 4:44 am
amother Jasmine wrote:

I do suggest paying for extra leg room if you can afford it. If not be sure to get an aisle seat.

Depends on your height Smile
I like the window seat but also depends if you prefer to bother others or be bothered by others getting out your seat

June

Post Thu, Aug 03 2023, 4:46 am
I've flown economy with every airline that goes direct to Israel from JFK/Newark. No major pluses or minuses with any of them. A 10-hour flight is a 10-hour flight no matter which airline you go with.

The quality of the flight attendants depends on the individual flight. The meals are basically the same with every airline, because they all use the same two kitchens in NY. Depending on how many people you're traveling with, you might want to check the layout of each airline's plane - are there 2 seaters, 3 seaters, etc.

Elal is nice if it's important to you to be among mostly Jews... otherwise no real difference.

Also last time I flew with United, in 2021, they walled off the gate for extra security and you had to go through extra security every time you went to the bathroom or to buy a drink while waiting for boarding. (A lot of airlines do this for the Israel flight; Elal doesn't. It's not a big deal, but if you're the type to get to the gate very early it can be annoying.)

sub

Post Thu, Aug 03 2023, 4:48 am
We have been flying Delta with premium seats. I can’t go back to regular.
And yes there is upgrade for food. In fact on a short flight we received food while regular economy did not.
We chose stopover flights for personal reasons.

amother
Hyssop

Post Thu, Aug 03 2023, 5:29 am
amother Tan wrote:
I usually love Delta, it's typically a bit more expensive.

If you can fly premium, Elal is awesome. I believe it's the only airline that gives you upgraded meals on premium.

I had an upgraded meal on a premium virgin atlantic flight.

amother
Freesia

Post Thu, Aug 03 2023, 5:32 am
There is a halacha that if the prices are similar, you should specifically buy from a Jewish person. For that and safety, I would go with El Al.

a2z

Post Thu, Aug 03 2023, 5:42 am
amother OP wrote:
Woops there should be an option for other please specify

I reported so that a mod could add

DrMom

Post Thu, Aug 03 2023, 6:32 am
I prefer to support the Israeli economy, so I fly El Al when possible.

June

Post Thu, Aug 03 2023, 7:05 am
amother Freesia wrote:
There is a halacha that if the prices are similar, you should specifically buy from a Jewish person. For that and safety, I would go with El Al.

I hear the Jewish/halachic angle, but why safety? Elal isn't any safer than any other airline.

amother
Pewter

Post Thu, Aug 03 2023, 7:12 am
If you need to preboard for any reason, like flying with babies or health reasons, I wouldn't go with United. we had 2 very bad experiences with them regarding flying with our baby and not receiving accommodations that other airlines provided. Others might have had other experiences, but el al seems to be much more accommodating for babies and young kids that United.

amother
Freesia

Post Thu, Aug 03 2023, 7:12 am
June wrote:
I hear the Jewish/halachic angle, but why safety? Elal isn't any safer than any other airline.

Yes it is.

https://travelradar.aero/israe.....line/

"El Al is the only commercial airline to equip its planes with missile defense systems to protect its planes against surface-to-air missiles, and is considered one of the world's most secure airlines, thanks to its stringent security procedures, both on the ground and on board its aircraft." (Wikipedia)

amother
Calendula

Post Thu, Aug 03 2023, 7:19 am
Was not a fan of United
I love el al!

June

Post Thu, Aug 03 2023, 7:22 am
amother Freesia wrote:
Yes it is.

https://travelradar.aero/israe.....line/

"El Al is the only commercial airline to equip its planes with missile defense systems to protect its planes against surface-to-air missiles, and is considered one of the world's most secure airlines, thanks to its stringent security procedures, both on the ground and on board its aircraft." (Wikipedia)

lol. I mean I guess surface-to-air missiles could be a thing, but when I think of airline safety I tend to think of more everyday risks, like pilot competency, aircraft maintenance protocols, etc.

maybe I live in Israel too long, but terrorism doesn't even enter my head as a safety concern when flying.

amother
Copper

Post Thu, Aug 03 2023, 8:42 am
Am I the only one who flew with Turkish and loved it?

amother
Banana

Post Thu, Aug 03 2023, 8:55 am
I love El Al, even though Israelis often love to hate it. I feel like I'm in Israel as soon as I get on the plane, maybe even when I get through security. I love the music selections. I love that I can get a kosher vegetarian meal instead of having to bring my own sandwich. I even love (ok, maybe am amused by) the abruptness. It's like being with family. When we flew with the whole family, the flight attendant recognized that my elderly father enjoyed tea and kept offering it to him, even when it wasn't meal service. I've seen flight attendants holding and playing with babies to help their Moms. Once when I flew with a nine year old in August, the flight attendant took him for a tour of the plane with coloring books and little gifts and a visit to the cockpit. Last year, when I scored a premium economy seat on sale and my chair wouldn't recline, the flight attendant was so upset that he brought me a bottle of wine. Yes, I've also heard some bad stories, but that's life. My kids tease me that I always cry when we land and they play Heveinu Shalom Aleichem.

amother
Razzmatazz

Post Thu, Aug 03 2023, 12:29 pm
I always fly El-Al. I want to support my fellow jew (especially now that it is owned privately).
I have family that fly united and they always have issues with delays, lost baggage and such. I’m not sure if it is united that is the issue or just Hashgacha.

amother
Mulberry

Post Thu, Aug 03 2023, 12:33 pm
I prefer el al, it's really nice to travel with jews and have a mostly Jewish crew as well. Agree that it feels like I'm in Israel before I even board the plane, and I love that, Israeli attitude and all. Years ago their customer service wasn't great but in the more recent past I've had only good experiences.
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics