Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Shopping
Frum copywriting on websites turn me off
1  2  Next

amother
OP

Post Thu, Aug 03 2023, 1:41 pm
Anyone know what I'm talking about? When I click on a website and I have to scroll alllll the way down through tons and tons of text, details about how amazing this service or organization etc is, testimonials, when I was interested in the price. Or basic details about how it works. I get that it's like putting milk in the back of the store - the stuff you really want to know is all on the bottom, or you're supposed to be like "Just $5k for all that good stuff? Wow such an amazing deal!" but it just puts me off. So wordy. And I hate when they describe things in cutesy ways and with emojis. It's just a certain vibe that I feel like is popping up more and more...

Rant over

amother
DarkPurple

Post Thu, Aug 03 2023, 1:45 pm
That's so funny because I'm taking a copywriting workshop right now. Agreed that type of copy is just awful.

amother
DarkPurple

Post Thu, Aug 03 2023, 1:48 pm
PS if anyone is new to marketing, I have one bonus workshop ticket to give away. If you really would listen to it let me know.

amother
Taupe

Post Thu, Aug 03 2023, 2:15 pm
amother OP wrote:
Anyone know what I'm talking about? When I click on a website and I have to scroll alllll the way down through tons and tons of text, details about how amazing this service or organization etc is, testimonials, when I was interested in the price. Or basic details about how it works. I get that it's like putting milk in the back of the store - the stuff you really want to know is all on the bottom, or you're supposed to be like "Just $5k for all that good stuff? Wow such an amazing deal!" but it just puts me off. So wordy. And I hate when they describe things in cutesy ways and with emojis. It's just a certain vibe that I feel like is popping up more and more...

Rant over

They're all trained the same by the same course. Lacking class. Drives me crazy. But to me the worst is the ones who think they are 'pushing boundaries' with crass sounding ad copy. ugh.

amother
Tealblue

Post Thu, Aug 03 2023, 2:17 pm
amother Taupe wrote:
They're all trained the same by the same course. Lacking class. Drives me crazy. But to me the worst is the ones who think they are 'pushing boundaries' with crass sounding ad copy. ugh.

I took that course and I agree. It comes across as childish and trying too hard to me.

Maybe this voice is a good match for some websites/businesses, but definitely overused and not unique anymore.

amother
Taupe

Post Thu, Aug 03 2023, 2:18 pm
amother Tealblue wrote:
I took that course and I agree. It comes across as childish and trying too hard to me.

Maybe this voice is a good match for some websites/businesses, but definitely overused and not unique anymore.

I took it too. I know all about it. It's a phenomonal course but you need your own talent and your own fresh voice.

momallhours

Post Thu, Aug 03 2023, 2:34 pm
amother Taupe wrote:

Yes this exactly. Noone likes copy that makes you cringe. It may catch my attention but it leaves a bad taste in my mouth at the same time.

amother
Aconite

Post Thu, Aug 03 2023, 2:47 pm
Okay yeah. You mean the copy tribe style.

Listen if it didn't sell it wouldn't be used. I also dislike the style, but there's soooooo many styles of copy and copywriters nowadays so if you are looking one it's not hard to find others who have a different style.

BTW the data shows that longer copy gets more clicks and more buys and more donations. I do copy/content for a company and my boss is investing in me taking more online courses in content and non profit and all types of digital media and I've been reading a lot of articles on it as well - long copy does do better.

It makes me eye roll too, it's soooooo long but data doesn't lie.

amother
Obsidian

Post Thu, Aug 03 2023, 3:20 pm
FTR, I have a close relative who did Copytribe. I was super-super-sceptical, but it turned out to be a phenomenal course, and she was thrilled with the level of information and support she received. And she's free to use her own voice - but has received great training in how to do so.

Just sayin'.

amother
Razzmatazz

Post Thu, Aug 03 2023, 3:28 pm
I'm a copywriter. Many of my clients are not Jewish, and most of them are professional businesses (not organizations).

I'm a huge proponent of the "less is more" style and always strongly steer clients to cleaner, lighter copy, especially on homepages, and most agree with me. Long, heavy, drawn-out sites are a turnoff in this elevator-pitch society.

Once in a while I'll run into a client who insists on writing out their entire backstory and every detail of the business, and while we (the web designer and I) work hard to make it more readable, the customer is always right, so sometimes we'll end up with a content-heavy website. It's not always the copywriter's decision.

I've never taken one of the frum copywriting courses (I'm mostly self-taught) but I've always wondered about them!

amother
Catmint

Post Thu, Aug 03 2023, 3:31 pm
momallhours wrote:
Yes this exactly. Noone likes copy that makes you cringe. It may catch my attention but it leaves a bad taste in my mouth at the same time.

Give example please.

amother
Razzmatazz

Post Thu, Aug 03 2023, 3:42 pm
amother Catmint wrote:
Give example please.

Ooh, I can answer this one. The cringiest ones are the ads or campaigns or articles with poor grammar, teen- or kid-style slang (especially when used incorrectly), "fancy" or "edgy" phrases (that don't actually mean what the writer thinks they mean), or off-the-mark copy that's clearly engineered to catch attention but not necessarily appropriate.

One example: there was a campaign in my town for Tomchei Shabbos (I think). There were lawn signs in every neighborhood that said something like "15 families in [this neighborhood] need your help" or something to that effect. I cringed every time because while it was certainly attention-grabbing and effectively conveyed the message that there's a significant number of families relying on this organization - even 15 in your own neighborhood! - I felt terrible for every one of those 15 families who felt ashamed every time they drove past those signs.

amother
Aconite

Post Thu, Aug 03 2023, 3:49 pm
amother Razzmatazz wrote:
I'm a copywriter. Many of my clients are not Jewish, and most of them are professional businesses (not organizations).

I'm a huge proponent of the "less is more" style and always strongly steer clients to cleaner, lighter copy, especially on homepages, and most agree with me. Long, heavy, drawn-out sites are a turnoff in this elevator-pitch society.

Once in a while I'll run into a client who insists on writing out their entire backstory and every detail of the business, and while we (the web designer and I) work hard to make it more readable, the customer is always right, so sometimes we'll end up with a content-heavy website. It's not always the copywriter's decision.

I've never taken one of the frum copywriting courses (I'm mostly self-taught) but I've always wondered about them!

I totally agree less is more but it does depend for what. On emails and blog posts, landing pages, and other pages on your website more copy can be good. Right now I'm doing a lot of emails for my company and the data says more is good for emails!

For ads, flyers, homepage, social media, and some emails I do like less. I'm usually a less is more kinda person so it's hard for me to shlep out the copy.

But as you said, what the client wants is what you gotta do.

BatZion

Post Thu, Aug 03 2023, 3:58 pm
Eh, I think this thread is a bit mean, tbh.
I took CopyTribe, and it is a PHENOMENALLY professional course. So unless you've taken it, please don't knock it. I walked away with a solid foundation in copywriting, business acumen, and a supportive community of copywriters.
I am still an active member of the community, and the women there write for a huge variety of businesses in all sectors, both Jewish and non-Jewish. There are some incredible copywriters there, just as there are weaker copywriters there, or newer copywriters who are still finding their voice.
You may see bad frum copy around, but there are dozens of CT-trained copywriters who are making their mark in the copywriting world in a way that is far removed from what you are describing.
Please don't tar us all with the same mean, incorrect brush.
(I am always happy to discuss CT with anyone interested in hearing more. No, I don't work for them Wink )

smss

Post Thu, Aug 03 2023, 4:00 pm
Totally know what you mean but this is NOT just a frum thing! Yes it's annoying.

amother
OP

Post Thu, Aug 03 2023, 4:02 pm
smss wrote:
Totally know what you mean but this is NOT just a frum thing! Yes it's annoying.

Could be you're right. Maybe it's a small-ish business thing, and I typically use ones with frum owners so that's where I notice it?

I was not trying to badmouth Copytribe, I know nothing about it. Just commenting on what I've been seeing.

smss

Post Thu, Aug 03 2023, 4:04 pm
amother OP wrote:
Could be you're right. Maybe it's a small-ish business thing, and I typically use ones with frum owners so that's where I notice it?

I was not trying to badmouth Copytribe, I know nothing about it. Just commenting on what I've been seeing.

I see it with websites selling online courses most often. Both frum and not.

cupcake123

Post Thu, Aug 03 2023, 4:32 pm
amother Razzmatazz wrote:
Ooh, I can answer this one. The cringiest ones are the ads or campaigns or articles with poor grammar, teen- or kid-style slang (especially when used incorrectly), "fancy" or "edgy" phrases (that don't actually mean what the writer thinks they mean), or off-the-mark copy that's clearly engineered to catch attention but not necessarily appropriate.

One example: there was a campaign in my town for Tomchei Shabbos (I think). There were lawn signs in every neighborhood that said something like "15 families in [this neighborhood] need your help" or something to that effect. I cringed every time because while it was certainly attention-grabbing and effectively conveyed the message that there's a significant number of families relying on this organization - even 15 in your own neighborhood! - I felt terrible for every one of those 15 families who felt ashamed every time they drove past those signs.

I don't know anything about copy writing but as a consumer I loved that campaign made it so real

lamplighter

Post Thu, Aug 03 2023, 4:55 pm
Marketing in general makes me cringe. It's like assuming I'll fall for something. Feels manipulative or patronizing to me. I know I'm weird.

amother
OP

Post Thu, Aug 03 2023, 4:56 pm
lamplighter wrote:
Marketing in general makes me cringe. It's like assuming I'll fall for something. Feels manipulative or patronizing to me. I know I'm weird.

LOL I agree with you!
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics